2004 Worlds and looking to 2006 | Golden Skate

2004 Worlds and looking to 2006

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I believe the judges are saying to Michelle that if she is going to try to get that gold in 2006 she is going to have to add something new. So many of these girls are bringing in the 3/3.. For instance Miki Ando..Ok she can do the 3/3's, sometimes the quad, but really lacks in artistry... SA, is doing the 3/3's and very much improving her artistry.. Sasha's artistry is surpassing Kwans because she stretching her ability each time.. I have to be truthful I love MK and I want her to get that Olympic gold, but she is basically doing the same LP everytime to different music.. I don't want ladies figure skating to become a jump off! BUT, sad to say MK is probably going to have to do the 3/3 and change her programs somehow..

Now this Worlds! I see MK getting the silver or bronze.. I hope that Sasha can PULL the LP TOGETHER and WIN!!!! If Sasha has a bobble and S Arakowa skates clean, SA will win.. Thats a no brainer.. BUT, Miki Ando's presentation/artistry is no match between the top 5 ladies... I guess we will all see tomorrow night?!!!! .............Peace

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that if Sasha has one bobble, she can still beat SA. If she has a meltdown, SA will win. The pressure is on Sasha to deliver the goods. I think that if she can't convert this championship into at least a silver, a lot of people are going to write her off and she won't be getting those high marks.

They're definitely sending a message to MK, much like they did Todd: pull your technical skills up or else we are going to force you out. At the end of Todd's career, he pretty much wasn't good for any medal except a bronze and that was only if everyone else fell no matter how great he skated. I think the same thing will happen to Kwan b/c the ladies field is too deep to hold her up.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
The Sport marches on...

Surely MK is already a legend, and incredibly expressive, exquisite, and complete as an artist, but I have to agree that, though perhaps competition is not the best time for judges to send messages like that (i don't know; do judges talk to skaters, give them tips, ever? I think I read something about that in one of Christine Brennan's books), the sport as a whole is moving forward technically, and no one is above that or can afford to ignore it. Look at Johnny Weir; his sport has already moved forward, past where only clean triples were acceptable, and he ended up in fifth place because he lacked the quads to challenge the top guns. I think the competitive fire MK's long reign has lit under many young upstarts (and quite a few MK's age, like Shizuka) is pushing the ladies' sport into the era of 3/3s, for better or worse. I'm not assessing the scoring in this particular event (Ladies' SP) because I haven't seen it, but judging from the jump content of many of the skaters, that seems to be the issue at hand here. JMHO.

Sarah

sarahmistral

On the Ice
almost forgot...

better MK find out now than two years from now, in a little Italian city called Torino...:)

Sarah

And may the ladies' FS rock like the men's did!!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
What you said Sarah...

Of course I completely agree that communicating through scores on the day of the comp irrelevant stuff is totally inappropriate. But that being said, I agree with your assessment of the *possible* message being sent.

I also think we are moving into a point in time where 3/3's will be the standard - not just an outstanding oddity just like the quad evolved for the men. (and going back in time, many technical elements evolved)

Just out of curiosity, I tried to keep track of how many ladies did 3/3's in the short. Here is the list I have - did I miss anyone?

Jenny
Calvez
Kostner
Ando
Arakawa

And 3 of those 5 are in the final flight. I suspect we may see more 3/3's in the long where a big mistake will be less risky. I suspect Irina would have been on this list two if she had not gone through the serious illness over the last year.

Does anyone know how many 3/3's were attemped in the ladies SP over the last couple years? I'm curious about "attempts" rather than just completions, because I think it takes guts and loads of confidence about landing cleanly to even try it in the SP. Just wondering if more ladies are trying it now in the SP than in the past.

DG

euterpe

Medalist
At Europeans, at these ladies did 3/3s: Sokolova, Kostner, Pavuk. They all were in the top 6, but only Sokolova wound up on the podium.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
yes, the gold now is definitely between arakawa and cohen. one of them will win for sure tomorrow. i just HOPE kwan in sneak in for a bronze. :eek:

if this situation doesn't light a fire in mk's butt, then nothing will as far as i'm concerned. how she ended up worse after the short from the qualifying...is beyond me...:confused:

SK8GR8

Rinkside
Judges do talk to skaters, but generally the conversation is initiated by the skater's coach if they feel the judges can give them helpful information as to what the skater needs for the judge to place them higher. Since Michelle is and has been at the top of the elite level for so long, it's unlikely that she has asked for judges' feedback anytime in the recent past. However, maybe after what is happening now, she will!

cianni

On the Ice
cianni

Oh wouldnt it be grand if we had a repeat of 2000 Worlds when the judges hammered her and held up the Russians. AND sweet revenge she won. I think Sasha deserved her win but Michelle should have been 2nd. Those marks were off for a clean program. Me thinks they screwed the wrong skater. I dont think the ISU needs any more bad PR and thats what their getting. most media is focused on Kwan and the placement. USFSA files a complaint. Not good for a flailing sport. A real turnoff for many.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think the ISU is going to take that much heat over Kwan and her placement other than the fact that she was held up in the QR. The Japanese girls did harder combos and rightfully deserve to be ahead of Kwan. I personally think that this is the best thing that could ever happen to MK. For all these years she's never had to change b/c she was always reaps rewards at Worlds and then the more technical skater wins at the Olympics. Now the judges are sending a message that she needs to up the ante and come with some jumps or better spins or anything different.

I hope this will light a fire under her a&& to get the 3-3 combo and change her choreography.