Tara and Johnny and Michelle and Olympic Coverage | Golden Skate

Tara and Johnny and Michelle and Olympic Coverage

Thanks for the post.

Who has been the most interesting athlete you have interviewed in Sochi and why?

Stewart-Binks: To be honest, it would have to be Michelle Kwan. She's obviously not competing at these Games, and she's working as an analyst for us at Fox Sports 1 (this is not a plug), but her stories from competing are mind-blowing. She's very honest and open about all the positive and negative experiences she's had with skating, her coaches, falling short of Olympic gold twice, pulling out of the Games in 2006, and growing up in the public eye. I am extremely surprised at how grounded she is. I sometimes forget she's the most decorated figure skater in America's history because it's so easy for us to talk. I can't imagine what it would be like to watch the Ladies free skate with her by my side.

Michelle's segments for Fox Sports 1 were very professionally done. I wonder how many people saw them. Most are still up on YouTube.

Last edited:

MaureenKB

Rinkside
I agree all of the segments on Fox Sports 1 are interesting and professionally done. The one with Frank Carroll is the best so far. I love that F C always credits Gracie's prior coach when he talks about her jumps and skating skills. He is such a class act.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
michelle is terrrrrrrrible. she always stumbles on her words and her sentences lead nowhere...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
michelle is terrrrrrrrible. she always stumbles on her words and her sentences lead nowhere...

I thought she was fine. She added a lot to the interview because she worked with Frank for such a long time. At least she doesn't speak ungrammatically, like Tara ("be sure to watch Johnny and I," etc.).

Seruleane

Final Flight
Great to see Michelle interact with frank Carroll! But i thought she had fired him and their relationship was rocky after that. am I missing something here?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Great to see Michelle interact with frank Carroll! But i thought she had fired him and their relationship was rocky after that. am I missing something here?

That was a long time ago and they have since reconciled. I am sure they are both grateful for what each gave the other.

Nah, she's perfect. In this segment Michelle is not journalizing (is that what journalists do?) or commentating (what's the difference between commentating and commenting?) -- she is chatting with an old friend. And letting us listen in. Thank you, Michelle. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A friend of mine is media and covering the red carpet tomorrow. I can't wait until she gets to meet Johnny! (She maintains Kwan should have beaten TLip in 1998, that might be awkward.)

That's exciting!!! Haha, I'm not a huge "Oscars" fan....But I'll be excited to see these two! :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI, Ashley Wagner (with Adam Rippon??) will be walking the red carpet at the Oscars.

Angryyew

Rinkside
With the exception of the ice dance portion, I really enjoyed Johnny & Tara. I hope they do more of the GP commentary next season, as I find them much better than Peter Carruthers.

millie

Medalist
With the exception of the ice dance portion, I really enjoyed Johnny & Tara. I hope they do more of the GP commentary next season, as I find them much better than Peter Carruthers.

Agree, they bring life and youth to the sport and they have the experiences behind them...unlike some of the old men with their old time favorites.

Agree, they bring life and youth to the sport and they have the experiences behind them...unlike some of the old men with their old time favorites.

Agreed! And I think that they made it more fun for viewers who don't consider themselves skating fans.....At least I know I had a bunch of friends that watched them who had never sat around and watched skating before. They just have a fresh perspective and a certain humor that made things entertaining