Tara and Johnny and Michelle and Olympic Coverage | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Tara and Johnny and Michelle and Olympic Coverage

I don't mind Tara and Johnny, but I agree that Tara seems to extoll the virtues of every young teenager in the competition. I get that she won the gold as a young girl who had great jumps and not much else, so she likes other young girls who have great jumps and not much else, but damn...

And that's exactly the kind of skater I tend to like the least, which is why I find myself disagreeing with her so often, I guess.

wootie

Match Penalty
I imagine there are actually quite a few people who don't like either Johnny or Tara. As much as I think they're "fun" to watch and occasionally listen to, you always get the sense that these are two people who really need the work. I imagine Tara was probably at the edge of financial despair before starting her commentary gig with figure skating and Johhny Weir...eh, he was probably in the same boat. So...while I appreciate the fact that they add some flair to the routine proceedings, I don't necessarily take them seriously, and I bet the majority of people who watched the Olympics felt the same way.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^That is such a mean post! Thx for sharing:no:

wootie

Match Penalty
Oh, please. Let's not feel too sorry for people that are probably making hundreds of thousands, if not millions, per year to commentate on figure skating. I'm sure both of them are wonderfully comfortable and living a life that none of us could ever dream of living.

Oh, and I still believe that while they were fun to listen to at times, their commentary was often biased and not reliable.

Angryyew

Rinkside
Agreed about having mixed feelings on Tara and Johnny doing prime time in 2018. I think they're wonderful, but I watched when they commentated the gala in prime time and NBC's format drove me nuts. "More figure skating to come, but first...alpine skiing!" Also, the fluff, cutting to parents in the stands, etc... I can't picture Johnny gushing about so-and-so's special relationship with their mother or whatever. The NBCSN format...skating all the way through...had me spoiled. And it allowed for kind of an ongoing "conversation," if you will, among the crew. We didn't have a lot of breaks.

Also, I disagree somewhat on Tara muting Johnny's personality. When he commentated for Ice Network in 2011, he was just as quiet. Maybe he cracked a few jokes at first, but he quickly got more serious. I think he's a lot more quiet and thoughtful than people give him credit for. In fact, Tara talks a lot more than he does. And he rarely talks about himself. I think the one time he brought up his own experience was when he said he used to hope a light would fall on him during warmups to "put me out of my misery." I think their daily Instagrams and tweets were sort of brilliant. It gave the press something to latch onto and got people talking about them and more people tuned into skating. Skating needs a bit of that irreverence.

In most of the commentating I've seen Johnny do, he has been his usual OTT self in pre and post event interviews, but has been fairly serious and reserved while actually calling events. He does have his token "fabulous!" type comments, but i find him more professional sounding than gushing prone Hamilton. Tara does talk more and she does talk about herself, but I don't dislike her the way many do and her self talking during Sochi was often prompted by Terry Gannon.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Tara, Johnny and Terry were great together...I've alwasys loved Terry but the three of them together definitely have chemistry...they were fun, spontaneous and interesting...you don't have to agree with what they said, that's part of the fun...and speaking of fun...it was 1998..build a bridge and get over it...often figure skating results are questionable...it makes it fun so that we can all complain...but it's been 16 years...there are certainly more recent controversies to throw shade at!

noskates

Record Breaker
In most of the commentating I've seen Johnny do, he has been his usual OTT self in pre and post event interviews, but has been fairly serious and reserved while actually calling events. He does have his token "fabulous!" type comments, but i find him more professional sounding than gushing prone Hamilton. Tara does talk more and she does talk about herself, but I don't dislike her the way many do and her self talking during Sochi was often prompted by Terry Gannon.

I totally agree with this. Johnny does take this job very seriously and is not out to pander himself. He's well-informed on the judging rules as he skated under them (unlike Tara) he never has a mean thing to say about any skater (unlike Tara) and he always points out fine details that the average fan would miss. I really don't care if he dresses up in a bunny suit - I like listening to him. Her not so much.

L_Canada

Rinkside
Being in Canada I largely watched the Canadian coverage, however, anything of Johnny or Tara online that I saw was not that great, I actually preferred Scott, maybe just because he has been doing it for so long and he is that familiar voice. Johnny was good, to be honest Tara seems like kind of a mean girl, I have a feeling it may be the way she is in life too just seeing her tweets and things. I just think Regina George when I hear her lol!

shellbell757

Rinkside
And that's exactly the kind of skater I tend to like the least, which is why I find myself disagreeing with her so often, I guess.

Me too, plus, every time I hear her voice I think back to that sad day in 1998 when I found out she beat Michelle and I get grumpy all over again. :scowl:

usethis2

Medalist
Oh, please. Let's not feel too sorry for people that are probably making hundreds of thousands, if not millions, per year to commentate on figure skating. I'm sure both of them are wonderfully comfortable and living a life that none of us could ever dream of living.

Oh, and I still believe that while they were fun to listen to at times, their commentary was often biased and not reliable.

I agree. They need to detach themselves a bit from the atmosphere and their favorites. Johnny especially has been smart at marketing himself (as a victim, an expert, or whatever that sells), but as of now I turn channels when he shows up. I hope once both of them become secure and more comfortable at what they do, they will speak of things with more neutrality and clarity.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Part of Michelle's problem is that I don't think her voice has natural breath control. Some people figure this out innately (my boss at work is one such), while others have to learn how. Broadcasters who study communications learn techniques to help them, just as singers learn how to project and control their voices. It's a fascinating paradox that a skater who was known as having such a natural gift for projecting emotion and bringing viewers along with her, should be so un-spontaneous when she speaks. But she can surely improve. In her various capacities with the state department and if she helps her husband campaign, she will have plenty of opportunities to become more facile.

Tara just sounds like a nice young person, natural but not overly charismatic. Johnny is interesting because when he speaks about skating, he sounds quiet and steady and the opposite of the flamboyant persona he enjoys projecting at other times. But both Tara and Johnny are clearly still unrefined, something that more experience and practice will cure. Their best years lie ahead of them!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I remember at SC(?) as soon as there was that pause after the other male commentator mentioned something about Yulia being fifteen that I suddenly thought it was Tara, even though I've heard nothing about her life for the last 16 years. I was really surprised when I saw Johnny's wardrobe and then realized it was him commentating. He's seems incredibly different even once you realize it's him. There's a disconnect when you only hear his calm voice.

I really like the articles and pictures of Johnny and Tara. Especially the one about the Johnny's Pink being one of the stars of Sochi.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I totally agree with this. Johnny does take this job very seriously and is not out to pander himself. He's well-informed on the judging rules as he skated under them (unlike Tara) he never has a mean thing to say about any skater (unlike Tara) and he always points out fine details that the average fan would miss. I really don't care if he dresses up in a bunny suit - I like listening to him. Her not so much.

Does "oafish" ring a bell?! I think that was the worst thing either of them said during Sochi (well, that, and Johnny's comment about one of the male skaters having enough leg meat). Terry even was interested that they let that slide. I thought it was getting into that "gone too far" territory. That would be something to temper when going back to regular competition and commentating on NBC as the main broadcast. But they had so much time to fill with the live commentary of every skater that I can understand them going off on tangents and such more than they usually would. Overall I enjoyed them and it seems like most people who watched them did, too. They were more fun and informative above anything negative overall, I'd say. They have room to grow and improve and hopefully they do so.

Tara also takes her job seriously. Johnny said Tara would have him up late doing research for the competitions (bios, techical info, etc).

Tara, Johnny and Terry were great together...I've alwasys loved Terry but the three of them together definitely have chemistry...they were fun, spontaneous and interesting...you don't have to agree with what they said, that's part of the fun...and speaking of fun...it was 1998..build a bridge and get over it...often figure skating results are questionable...it makes it fun so that we can all complain...but it's been 16 years...there are certainly more recent controversies to throw shade at!

I totally agree! Not Tara's fault that the judges awarded her gold, just like it is not Adelina's fault. And Nagano was so long ago! I also think all of the NBC commentators were attempting to tell why they felt the judges awarded Adelina the gold moreso than saying they thought it could not have gone any other way. I got the feeling they were actually trying not to make waves. And Tara is not the one who keeps bringing up her gold medal or winning as a 15 year old - others do and ask about the experience as a 15 year old. And I've heard her make nice comments about skaters with grace, so I don't get the impression that she doesn't appreciate that aspect of skating.

Zamboni

On the Ice

I wonder what he would say about Evan :p

Bonnie F

On the Ice
As someone who was not a fan of either Tara or Johnny during their figure skating careers, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed their commentary. They were informative and much more honest in their assessments than the "prime time" crew. I found myself DVR'ing the NBCSN coverage and bipassing the prime time coverage. Give me Tara and Johnny over Scott and Sandra any day!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I finally got a chance to see NBC's coverage of the dance competition. Now Johnny was at least competent. A bit swayed by his obvious Russophilia, but on the whole, superficial but competent. Tara, on the other hand, was an embarrassment. I'm going to be optimistic and chalk it up to ignorance, but when her comments consist of remarks on facial expressions and crowd reactions (without acknowledging just how partisan that crowd was), then girlfriend was not adequately prepared. Terry Gannon was his usual professional self.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tara and Johnny need to take up ice dancing so they can appreciate just how difficult it can be. Once they learn all the pattern dances, then they might be qualified to commentate. Oh, and let's try a few lifts too and not hold too long so you don't get a deduction!