Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: How Teams are doing as a Nation at the Olympics?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,606

    How Teams are doing as a Nation at the Olympics?

    National pride is a big thing of course at the Olympics. there are going to be thrills of victories and agonies of defeats. Sadly usually the joy of one nation is at the cost of another.

    The defeat of the Germans in pairs skating was devastating worse they slipped not only out of gold but silver being upset by a Russian team for silver.

    USA is fairing quite well despite some disappointment in the x sports and slopes. They look good in both men and women's hockey and have a fair chance for Oly medal in ladies skating the premier event after men's hockey. They also won dance gold although amid some controversy. they have had their disappointments Shani, the flying tomato, but all in all are looking good.

    Netherlands seems to be dominating in speedskating; Canada seems to be struggilng compared to 2010 especially in the track events luge, skeleton and bobsled. Their figure skating team has lost all four battles where they hoped to contend for a certain medal. (they ended up on the losing end - Men, team and dance gold and pairs bronze. Zero for four and with the disappointment of the bobsled teams today really it hasn't been a great olympics for them.

    Good to see Jamaica back in the olympics.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    The defeat of the Germans in pairs skating was devastating worse they slipped not only out of gold but silver being upset by a Russian team for silver.


    you made it sound like the german pairs were the favorite for the gold
    they were no more favorites than V/M were creamed by the legendary D/W
    that was a funny joke

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    the most successful in this games:

    respect to Belarus and Netherlands

    thats gold for almost every Belarus top contingent
    and multiple dutch sweep in speed skating , but what happened to Korea ? aren't they speed skating powerhouse ???

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    They also won dance gold although amid some controversy.
    get over it.
    it wasn't a controversy D/W won gold fair and square

  5. #5
    Custom Title snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,414
    Medal standings

    From USA's point of view

    The official standings

    This is why I wished the olympics 2018 to be held in Germany. Great athletes in pretty much all disciplins, enthusiastic audiences and nice mountains/natural snow. Not to forget; in my time zone

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Medal standings

    From USA's point of view

    The official standings

    This is why I wished the olympics 2018 to be held in Germany. Great athletes in pretty much all disciplins, enthusiastic audiences and nice mountains/natural snow. Not to forget; in my time zone
    Germany and Norway have been fairly successful in the games too

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    127
    Pretty meh Olympics by Canada. A few more disappointments than surprises, but not bad by any stretch. The only big surprise of the games so far is Denny Morrison. 3 4th places in Luge, while a good result, is still something that is a bit hard to take for a program that is hunting for sponsors. The team is really in need for a couple of golds, though. Will be a week without any tomorrow. It won't match Vancouver when it comes to total number of golds, but beating the total number of medals is still possible.

    But lets be honest, this is Canada: gold in men's hockey is all that matters for a lot of people.

  8. #8
    Custom Title snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,414
    sky_fly: Yes, Germany is in the lead with 8 gold medals. Just refering to Germany competing against South Korea for 2018 olympics.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Germany and Norway have been fairly successful in the games too
    Not sure I'd say Norway is having good games so far. They came in as the big favourite to top the medal standing and they've left a lot on the table: Emil Hegle Svendsen has been a complete non-factor and both cross country relays have failed to medal (huge deal, like Canada not winning at hockey). The only overachiever for Norway have been Kjetil Jansrud, who is essentially winning medals you'd expect Svindal to win, and Ole Einar Bjørndalen, who won a gold medal you would have expect Svendsen or one of the Bø brothers to win.

  10. #10
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    National pride is a big thing of course at the Olympics. there are going to be thrills of victories and agonies of defeats. Sadly usually the joy of one nation is at the cost of another.

    The defeat of the Germans in pairs skating was devastating worse they slipped not only out of gold but silver being upset by a Russian team for silver.

    USA is fairing quite well despite some disappointment in the x sports and slopes. They look good in both men and women's hockey and have a fair chance for Oly medal in ladies skating the premier event after men's hockey. They also won dance gold although amid some controversy. they have had their disappointments Shani, the flying tomato, but all in all are looking good.

    Netherlands seems to be dominating in speedskating; Canada seems to be struggilng compared to 2010 especially in the track events luge, skeleton and bobsled. Their figure skating team has lost all four battles where they hoped to contend for a certain medal. (they ended up on the losing end - Men, team and dance gold and pairs bronze. Zero for four and with the disappointment of the bobsled teams today really it hasn't been a great olympics for them.

    Good to see Jamaica back in the olympics.
    So we have another anti-Canadian here, eh? I can't believe you have the guts to say that the USA is faring quite well. When a nation starts blaming their uniforms for not winning any medals in speed skating instead of just admitting that other countries are better...well, this headline from the Associated Press says everything:

    "The Embarrassment of Suitgate: How did we get to this?"

    And the US media! Gosh I thought Fox News was the worst station in the world but apparently, NBC can top them! Your reporter made Bode Miller cry!

    And of course Canada is doing worse than 2010. They set a once-in-a-generation record there with the most gold medals. (So did the USA with the most medals). Can you name one country who did just as good in the Olympics immediately following the one that they hosted? I don't think so. And I have to disagree with you: I think this has been a GREAT Olympics for Canada, for more reasons than one: Alexandre Bilodeau became the first man ever to repeat as Olympic Champion in men's moguls, the two Dufour-Lapointe sisters making the podium, Hudec finally breaking the 20-year drought in alpine skiing, Mark McMorris fighting on and getting bronze despite a broken rib and god knows what else and being extremely happy with it, Gilmore Junio giving up his place in speed skating for his Denny Morrison, who went on to get silver, etc...

    But of course, none of this will mean anything if Canada fails to get double gold in hockey again. The same will go for Russia when it comes to hockey.

  11. #11
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    the most successful in this games:

    respect to Belarus and Netherlands

    thats gold for almost every Belarus top contingent
    and multiple dutch sweep in speed skating , but what happened to Korea ? aren't they speed skating powerhouse ???
    South Korea is famous for their lethal short track speed skating team. Unfortunately they have been having the same problem as the Canadian team: being eliminated due to crashes.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Usagi View Post
    South Korea is famous for their lethal short track speed skating team. Unfortunately they have been having the same problem as the Canadian team: being eliminated due to crashes.
    Watching Canada and South Korea go at it in the B final of the 5000m relay is going to be bittersweet. I hope it will be a good race but its disappointing to see the two best teams in the world fail to qualify for the finals due to a fall.

  13. #13
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    905
    There were some American athletes who were potential medalists (maybe longshot is more appropriate) in sports where we're not normally strong (like cross country ski) and I hate they didn't do as well as hoped. Olympics provide a stage for them to promote their sports, the ones that don't get much airtime or glamour here, but it seems we need a medal to appreciate them fully.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    There were some American athletes who were potential medalists (maybe longshot is more appropriate) in sports where we're not normally strong (like cross country ski) and I hate they didn't do as well as hoped. Olympics provide a stage for them to promote their sports, the ones that don't get much airtime or glamour here, but it seems we need a medal to appreciate them fully.
    Kikkan Randall was definitively a favourite in the women's sprint and it was a bit of a shock to see her out in the quarters. She still has a pretty good chance in the team sprint, though.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    wherever life takes me
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    the most successful in this games:

    respect to Belarus and Netherlands

    thats gold for almost every Belarus top contingent
    and multiple dutch sweep in speed skating , but what happened to Korea ? aren't they speed skating powerhouse ???
    True, but the Dutch whining on that one occasion they didn't win men's gold was kind of riddiculous. I get losing by 0.003s is tough, but hey, it's still more than nothing.

    I'm all for Olympics in Germany. Solid organization, popular currency, great winter sports natural conditions and close to me
    Is Germany bidding for 2022?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •