Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Free Dance - Notes & Results

Custom Woman
    Okay, Navka & Kostamarov are now the third World champs I've bumped into at SOI a few weeks before they won their first Worlds. I was actually looking at Tatiana and Sasha Zhulin's son, who is a breathtaking child, and then noticed Zhulin. I didn't even recognize Tatiana, but fortunately I figured it had to be her--especially with their son there. Without make-up, skates, and her amazing ice dancing, Tatiana looks like any other pretty, petite 30ish woman. What a difference all the rest of it makes.

Bummer about Tan and Ben not making the podium, but I think they'll get there.

I'm happy about Kati and Renee. They've been around and on the bubble for YEARS and it's great to see them finally make the podium. I love 'em. I find them to be very warm, technically excellent, and in the past have mostly been held back by injuries and some funky programs.

I'm a little surprised about Delobel & Schoenfelder, but IMO, they've been held up in the past. But having not seen it, can't say.

Rosaleen, once again, we can't thank you enough. You da bomb, baby! (Rgirl bowing) We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
    Rgirl

Rogue Leader
    Umm, Rgirl, Tatiana and Sasha have a daughter, not a son.

I prefer D&S, but I can see why N&K won. It was a toss up. I like Kati&Rene, but agree it was a gift. I wish both B&A and D&L had placed higher.

I'm upset over how little CBC showed compared to the other disciplines.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Rgirl
    I was actually looking at Tatiana and Sasha Zhulin's son, who is a breathtaking child, and then noticed Zhulin. I didn't even recognize Tatiana, but fortunately I figured it had to be her--especially with their son there.
    That breathtaking child is actually a girl.

I don't follow this discipline too closely (mainly because I don't understand it very well), but what a great placement for Ben and Tanith.......5th place, the highest placement I believe for an American dance pair in the last ten years or so.......can't wait to see in on the telly......42

Show - no one understands this discipline very well! I think the Bulgarians should have won. Hard to say about the rest as I only saw Navka, Bulgarians, W&L and Tanith and Ben. Sorry I can't get into WSS! I think it is sooooo boring. Seems like they slowed way down as the dance progressed as well. And their expression just isn't there as far as WSS goes. Just wasn't that impressed with Navka & Roman either! But it seems like they are the preordained ones to be the World & Olympic champions. I DID like W&L! I was happy for them that they won bronze; what a wonderful thing for them! Can't say anything about any other teams as they weren't shown. I would have liked to have seen the French and Dubreil and Lauzon, also would like to have seen the Israelis. Oh well, another year, another Worlds!

Rogue Leader
    I wonder if W&L might decide to stick around for a little longer? They may feel they have a chance at Torino. Glad I got to see B&A on ABC tonight. I'm very happy with their skate. Ben finally nailed those twizzles.

Custom Title
    I definitely think that the right team won. I liked the Bulgarians a lot (loved their beautiful costumes) but the Russians were so much sharper and really looked and skated like ballroom dancers.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I have to say, based on the 4 performances shown on ABC, this was one of the best dance competitions I've seen in years; I enjoyed all 4 dances shown very much and that is very unusual for me, especially the last few seasons when I've seen very few dances that have done much for me.

I personally had a serious problem with Maxim Staviyisky's costume; that shirt flew up so high so often he may as well have gone out there shirtless to begin with!!:D (And I believe I speak for many dance fans on this board when I say that any time he wishes to actually do this, GO RIGHT AHEAD!!:D ) VERY distracting. It can be difficult at times to concentrate on the execution, beauty, and overall look of the elements when there's fabric flapping around all over the place, and I'm sure at least a couple of judges found it distracting as well and it may have affected their scores.

I really enjoyed Navka & Kostamorov's dance as well and did not expect to. I think if I'd've given a 6 to anything at this Worlds, it would have been that. I usually don't like those type of programs, but they didn't overdo the potential comic elements of the music and it was a lot of fun without being total schlock.

I wish they would have shown Grushina & Goncharov; had ABC not decided to show us practically an entire production of "Stomp" they might have had time to!

Argentinian wonder ;)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JonnyCoop
    [B
    I personally had a serious problem with Maxim Staviyisky's costume; that shirt flew up so high so often he may as well have gone out there shirtless to begin with!!:D (And I believe I speak for many dance fans on this board when I say that any time he wishes to actually do this, GO RIGHT AHEAD!!:D
    YES, please, ANY TIME

Custom Title
    I agree with JonnyCoop that this was the best ice dance competition I've seen in a long time.

For the last 10 years, I've been unable to enjoy dance much because I just didn't like any of the teams at the top. I could never get into Grishuk & Platov or Lobacheva & Averbukh; just didn't like their styles. Krylova & Ovsiannakov were talented but too over the top in presentation. Bourne & Kraatz were charismatic but didn't seem that good technically. Fusar-Poli & Margaglo also didn't seem up to snuff technically. And while I liked Anissina & Peizerat quite a bit, they too had technical problems over the years.

But now that all those teams are finally out of the way, dance is becoming much more enjoyable and exciting again. I actually like all the top teams now (except for Chait & Sakhnovsky). And this was a great event; as much as I loved Denkova & Staviyski's free dance, I have to admit that Navka & Kostomarov's dance was very good too! And although Winkler & Lohse's dance was obviously easier, they performed it very, very well. All in all a great event, I really enjoyed it.

I am of two minds about the state of Ice Dancing today. OTOH, I feel that the overall level is the highest it has ever been. In the previous years, I felt that may be top 3 were interesting, but did not like any others. Now, I enjoy may all of the top 10 to one degree or another. OTOH, I feel that none of the current teams are as great as some teams of yesteryear (Gretchuk & Platov, Klimova & Ponomarenko, even Krylova & Ovsyannikov). What's more, I don't see any up-and-coming teams that could achieve those levels.

Custom Title
    I'm also of two minds about dance these days. There seems to be a tension right now between trying to jam in technical content and at the same time deliver an entertaining program.

Some of the time I have the distinct impression teams are trying to shove too much into their programs and it just ends up looking cluttered with constantly changing positions etc that may indeed be difficult but none are held/highlighted enough to make any real impact. And some are just ugly. Programs don't seem to really highlight music - or should I say choreography doesn't seem to really be to one piece of music in particular.

I do feel that technical content should be rewarded, but sometimes I just wish there was some kind of limit to be placed - as there is with singles on number of jumps allowed etc. It might lead to a more satisfied feeling of having watched a WHOLE program rather than something that is little bits thrown together. By the way, to be clear, this has nothing to do with how many/few pieces of music a team uses. It's about a coherent program.

Sometimes I actually enjoy watching the technically less superior skaters more for just this reason. Their programs are simpler, but sometimes IMO, actually in a way better, more watchable.

I don't know what the solution is. I just thought I'd throw my opinion out there for what it's worth.

The problem I've had with Dance the last several years is the fact that every free dance basically looked alike. Everyone was trying to imitate Anissina & Peizerat with the flowing around and the gliding and the 55 yards of fabric flapping everywhere, only they didn't have A/P's artistic vision. There are still quite a few programs in that vein floating around out there, but what I liked about this season was the dances were all so different from one another. Reminds me of the mid to late 80s post Torvill-and-Dean era when Dance was so much fun and you never knew what kind of stuff you would be seeing.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by JonnyCoop
    The problem I've had with Dance the last several years is the fact that every free dance basically looked alike. Everyone was trying to imitate Anissina & Peizerat with the flowing around and the gliding and the 55 yards of fabric flapping everywhere, only they didn't have A/P's artistic vision. There are still quite a few programs in that vein floating around out there, but what I liked about this season was the dances were all so different from one another. Reminds me of the mid to late 80s post Torvill-and-Dean era when Dance was so much fun and you never knew what kind of stuff you would be seeing.

This is one of my problems with dance. I still see far too little individuality in the programs. Many look as if they could be skated to any piece of music that happened to be playing. I don't know that I would trace it back to Annissina and Peizerat though, as I think it has more to do with the teams trying to "pack" their programs with difficulty to the point where all the uniqueness is gone. eg. All of Torvill and Dean's programs would be inadequate in this day and age, no matter how charming they would have been deemed to easy. They took time in between their "highlights" so their highlights really were just that. They repeated movements to emphasize things - I often think now as I watch - gee that was an interesting move, I wish they'd do it again - but by then they're already about 10 moves onward in the program.

Originally posted by rain
    They took time in between their "highlights" so their highlights really were just that. They repeated movements to emphasize things - I often think now as I watch - gee that was an interesting move, I wish they'd do it again - but by then they're already about 10 moves onward in the program.
    Exactly. As much of a fan as I was NOT of Gritshuk & Platov, I will say that that is one thing they often did right, repeating especially good movements. ITA agree with you about the music as well -- many of the dances we've seen the last several seasons could have been pretty much done to ANYTHING with no-one being any the wiser. It's like sometimes you get the feeling that the music is just on because they were told that they had to bring a tape....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast