Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Time Rule

TriGirl Rinkside

Question The Time Rule

I know that the SP is 2:40 and the LP is 4:00 for the ladies. This is the first time that I've heard of a deduction for being off. Has this happened before? Is there a deduction for skating 2:38? Are skaters typically so good that they get their programs down to the second all the time? Just curious. This is all new to me.

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    Acutally, it's 2:30 (but one can go 10 seconds more), and 4:00, + or - 10 seconds. Apparently, the timing begins when the skater first moves, so If kwan was moving for 2:42 like Jan Hoffman claimes, then the deduction was warranted. But still, :(.

TV

TriGirl Rinkside
    So, if it's 2:30 +/-10, why on earth was her music 2:40? That leaves no room for error.

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    Originally posted by tharrtell
    So, if it's 2:30 +/-10, why on earth was her music 2:40? That leaves no room for error.
    lol, no, for SP, it's 2:30 + 10 seconds. Apparently, she extended her music so it's just at 2:40. I don't think anyone actually expects to get a time deduction.

TriGirl Rinkside
    Thanks. I'd guess you are right that no one expects to get a time deduction. Otherwise the music would be cut a bit shorter. What a crappy time to be persnickety about rules.

Custom Title
    I have another question: Was the .1 deduction mandatory for all of the judges and was it taken it off? Wow, if that is the case...she still would have had a 5.2 for technical merit....and 4 6.0s for presentation! What a strange judging panel.

Rinkside
    i have read the clock for when a program actually starts is when the skater makes the first move with his or her body. Therefore, Michelle couldn't have started moving a millimeter until herbrain heard music which would have been a good second after the music started - which is exactly 2:40.

Nest, Jan Hoffman was doing this manually, so he probably counted from the end of the music until his finger thought she stopped. There is another fraction of a second that at the most leaves her at 2:40 and a fraction.

the judges should have accounted for any negative effect Michelle caused in her program.

It's awfully petty to jump on her in this manner. It doesn't look like the judges would have found her supposed error to be particularly damaging and I don't think the crowd found her movment after the music to be reason to place her in 4th and take off a whooping .2 from the total score.

Jan Hoffman........man, his name sure pops up a lot, especially when a U.S. skater is involved........it was his swing vote that gave Oksana the gold over Nancy..........hmmm..........42

Custom Title
    Hoffman was also one of 3 judges that gave Michelle the nod in Nagano over Lipinski. He scored Michelle 5.8/5.9 and Tara 5.8/5.8.

Thanks Bronze........his name comes up a lot when there seems to be a close or controversial call. I know he lost the Oly Gold to Robin Cousins by a slim margin............42
    Last edited by show 42; 03-26-2004 at 08:21 PM.

I've heard him in interviews, and it seems to me that he is a man of strong character who judges by his conscience.

On the Ice
    I don't think there's any conspiracy going on here, and I'm sure Hoffman was just trying to do his job. I happen to think he was wrong about the timing, but we will find out for sure, won't we? Regardless, I'm sure he really thinks that she went over and was just trying to follow the rules. The thing that gets me is that she doesn't even start moving right with the music; she starts a good 2-3 seconds after the music starts, so even if she finished off her music, that still gives her a good 2-3 second cushion to stop moving. Which is why I'm very suspicious of the idea that she went over. But if she did, I'm all for the deduction - after all, that's the rules.

Mich...

Just out of curiosity, why do you think he was wrong? 2 seconds is a VERY short period of time, and I assume the music is a good "marker" for the skater. When the skater cannot hear the music at the end, can't you see how a time infraction is highly possible? Sounds to me like Michelle chose this risk herself, and is now paying the price.

I give Michelle a TON and more of credit for all her success over the years. I'm right there with others who have speculated that she will never make this mistake again. I'm just not jumping on the "blame the stop watch guy" bandwagon just yet. I can easily see how a time infraction with this program COULD happen. I can only assume the infraction did happen. Of all the ways the judging system could "screw" people, this one didn't even involve an actual judge. So I think it's a stretch to just chalk this up to "Michelle is being held down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I have no idea - maybe that's the case. Just seems unlikely to me. Maybe I'm too logical to be a FS fan LOL.

We need to get BACK to the World's Drinking Game. Especially since I have to do a bunch of food prep and house cleaning tonight for a dog training exercise being held, against my will, on a major figure skating day, at my house tomorrow. I plan to get 100% of the prep done tonight, make a list for my DH, and tune into Eurosport tomorrow AM. Lord help the first person who disrupts my listensing pleasure. (That will be DH, but I will forgive him as long as it's not durring the final flight LOL)

DG

My question about the Time rule is how come it is not applied to everyone. S &Z also finished the WONDERFUL LP after their music was done. There were no Deductions at all. Just about Straight 6.0's across the board. Though, they deserved their marks with that great skate. But, it was very obvious they did about 3 or 4 poses after the music finished before they did their final pose. Not bashing S &Z. They are my favorite pair skaters. The best I have seen sense G & G.

Panther...

It's NOT about the length of the recorded music, but the length of the actual skate if I understand correctly what's been posted about this rule. I have no idea what other skaters may or may not have been deducted appropriately regarding this rule. BUT..in my opinion a smart skater would have a music cut that they they could HEAR at the end, and leave themselves some room. Finishing after the music does not appear to be the issue here. The issue appears to be the length of time, by the stopwathch, from the moment a skater starts to skate to the moment they achieve a "stop" at the final pose.

Am I wildly missing something here????

DG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast