Scott Moir on the difficulties of sharing a coach with their chief rivals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Scott Moir on the difficulties of sharing a coach with their chief rivals

CassAgain

On the Ice
Photos show 2010, 2012 and 2013. I'm all but certain she was there in 2011, too, but I couldn't find a photo. Yes, Canadians and U.S. Nationals have usually been on different weekends.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think this is the first time that senior dances at Canadians were at the same time as U.S. Nationals.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Scott shouldn't have trained in the US. A Canadian coach would have been there for him.

Memelah711

Rinkside
Talk about being sour grapes! In other words, Tessa and Scott are just complaining/whining that they didn't the gold. Their attitude leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sorry, Scott and Tessa, you guys made the choice to stick with Marina. If you felt you were being treated that 'unfairly' then maybe you should have gone to another coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry, Scott and Tessa, you guys made the choice to stick with Marina. If you felt you being treated that "unfairly" then you should gone to another coach.

Did Moir himself use the word "unfair?" If that is your word, I hope that you are not trying to put it into his mouth.

The word he chose that I have seen in this thread is "odd" -- not "unfair."

Memelah711

Rinkside
Did Moir himself use the word "unfair?" If that is your word, I hope that you are not trying to put it into his mouth.

The word he chose that I have seen in this thread is "odd" -- not "unfair."

You are right--"unfairly" was my word, not Scott's. Either way, imo, he is making it sound like he and Tessa were being treated unfairly. If you have that big of an issue with your coach, then you have the choice to:

1. Ignore it (seems like this is what Tessa and Scott did)
2. Talk about it and work it out with the coach.
3. Find another coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You are right--"unfairly" was my word, not Scott's. Either way, imo, he is making it sound like he and Tessa were being treated unfairly. If you have that big of an issue with your coach, then you have the choice to:

1. Ignore it (seems like this is what Tessa and Scott did)
2. Talk about it and work it out with the coach.
3. Find another coach.

Re option #2, Moir said that they (esp. Virtue) did talk to Zoueva more than once about the issue. ETA: "countless times" according to one article I read (on IceNetwork, maybe?).

In any case, thanks for your reply.

BlackPack

Medalist
Zoueva was told, "They would not be happy with a silver medal."

Well honestly, Zoueva can only go so far. You peaked in Vancouver. Your best skating was in 2009-10. If you maxed out your best technique, style, moves, etc., it will be hard to re-create something on that level again but in a different vein. Everyone said Scriabin 2014 was Mahler 2.0 in the beginning. You worked hard enough to make it Mahler 2.0 but with a lot more sophistication and complexity. It was a commendable effort.

Scott isn't taking responsibility for his choices. Zoueva can't always come up with a new Bolero. She is human after all. If he wanted a breakthrough, don't do anything remotely reminiscent of Mahler and go to someone with a fresh perspective.

I think they did really well still. They're still on good terms and there's no coaching change which some fans predicted would undoubtedly happen.

noskates

Record Breaker
The bottom line is - if V&M were uncomfortable with the coaching situation they could easily have followed Sphilband or trained in Canada. They've been together long enough and have had alot of success, I don't think it would have been difficult to find another coach and continue that success. It's just hard for me to feel sorry for someone who is complaining about a situation that could have been rectified. And I could be wrong, but David and White have never said one word about the difficulties.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to Wikipedia, Marina Zueva is a naturalized Canadian citizen but works mainly in the United States.

But her loyalties to country, like to her students, are unclear. I think the real point is that Scott and Tessa should have found another coach if they felt they weren't getting the level of attention they wanted. They had a perfect opportunity when Shpilband left. And I'm sure there are other coaches, in the US and in Canada, who would have jumped at the chance to make the 2010 Olympic gold medalists their number one students.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
But her loyalties to country, like to her students, are unclear. I think the real point is that Scott and Tessa should have found another coach if they felt they weren't getting the level of attention they wanted. They had a perfect opportunity when Shpilband left. And I'm sure there are other coaches, in the US and in Canada, who would have jumped at the chance to make the 2010 Olympic gold medalists their number one students.

except they've been with marina since tessa was 14 years old. it's really not as easy as being like 'lol l8r sk8r im outta here' if they have concerns about their situation. they obviously weighed up the pros and cons and decided to stay because of the long history they have with her. it doesn't mean all their worries have immediately been allayed or the relationship is suddenly perfect, just that it was the best option for them at the time. and i don't see how they're complaining or blaming marina for not winning gold - they've made it perfectly clear d/w deserve their medal and they're satisfied with their performances

and damn yall make finding a new coach sound as easy as going out to buy a pair of shoes. there are a lot of things to consider in a coaching relationship, it's not a 'oh i need a new coach/what a coincidence, i need some new students!' situation at all

L_Canada

Rinkside
Woah! I do not think this is what they are saying. Take a chill pill!
Talk about being sour grapes! In other words, Tessa and Scott are just complaining/whining that they didn't the gold. Their attitude leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sorry, Scott and Tessa, you guys made the choice to stick with Marina. If you felt you were being treated that 'unfairly' then maybe you should have gone to another coach.

RiceSkate

Rinkside
Lol I laughed a bit when Tessa said her and Scott have a good relationship with Charlie and didn't mention Meryl

L_Canada

Rinkside
Haha yes, I get the feeling that the boys get along, the women not so much. Just from their reality show, and other interviews and such. Oh well, to each their own!
Lol I laughed a bit when Tessa said her and Scott have a good relationship with Charlie and didn't mention Meryl

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
except they've been with marina since tessa was 14 years old. it's really not as easy as being like 'lol l8r sk8r im outta here' if they have concerns about their situation. they obviously weighed up the pros and cons and decided to stay because of the long history they have with her. it doesn't mean all their worries have immediately been allayed or the relationship is suddenly perfect, just that it was the best option for them at the time. and i don't see how they're complaining or blaming marina for not winning gold - they've made it perfectly clear d/w deserve their medal and they're satisfied with their performances

and damn yall make finding a new coach sound as easy as going out to buy a pair of shoes. there are a lot of things to consider in a coaching relationship, it's not a 'oh i need a new coach/what a coincidence, i need some new students!' situation at all

Right on. :agree:

They'd been with her a long time, and there's no question a lot of things were working very well and their relationship had been very fruitful. Of course now in hindsight both fans and the skaters themselves may be having thoughts of, "Well, they should have found somebody else/branched out into a new style/done something different; maybe things would have worked out better for them." But 1. we have no way of knowing that and 2. they had no way of knowing the outcome before it came to be. They were looking back on the great career they'd had and everything they'd achieved so far, and made a decision to stay based on that. No one knows if changing coaches would have made the outcome better, worse, or if it wouldn't have made a difference.

And what if they'd switched coaches/choreographers/styles and they still didn't come out on top? Or even if they did win gold, but their program wasn't as loved among fans as their previous ones? Then they could have easily been criticized for that, too. Well, why fix what wasn't broke? Why leave something that was working for you? They're trying too hard to be different; they should go back to their previous style and be true to themselves.

Oh, and for everyone's information: this is what "sour grapes" actually means. It does not simply mean complaining because you didn't get what you want. For this to be "sour grapes" Scott would have to be insisting he didn't care about some stinky 2014 Olympic gold medal and the 2010 one is really much more attractive, or something.

(Isn't really central to this discussion or anything, but it's a neat expression and I get annoyed when I see it misused.)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The bottom line is - if V&M were uncomfortable with the coaching situation they could easily have followed Sphilband or trained in Canada. They've been together long enough and have had alot of success, I don't think it would have been difficult to find another coach and continue that success. It's just hard for me to feel sorry for someone who is complaining about a situation that could have been rectified. And I could be wrong, but David and White have never said one word about the difficulties.

Well said.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty

lol she specifically said charlie too, like she was making a point

people think scott's the douchey one in the relationship but i bet tessa's the mad shady one out of the two

noskates

Record Breaker
Well the only other thing I'll say about this is it's unfortunate that Scott had to continue this conversation with the press because he comes across as a sore loser (don't really care what the definition of sour grapes is...) and it mitigates the fact that they did have a beautiful skate. They just flat out got out skated and they can blame that on the coach, people can say there was a conspiracy or a hidden agenda, or whatever they want to say...but IIRC, they haven't beat Davis and White since Vancouver. That's alot of conspiracies and hidden agendas and fixes. Dang - there must be a group out there as bad as the Al Queda to have come up with such a nefarious plot against Canadian ice dancers.