Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A signal, according to Callaghan

TriGirl Rinkside

A signal, according to Callaghan

I wish he'd elaborate. I only wish I understood the behind the scenes machinations of figure skating

[url]http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/8287418.htm[/url]

Edited to add: If the message is to up the ante, there are still lots of ladies with lesser content than MK. Sasha's jump content was exactly the same. I have no doubt that Sasha can beat Michelle when both skate well, but TFB is a wonderful program that earned first place marks at worlds last year. It sounds like she skated well this year. First to fourth is quite a drop. Rafael (can't spell the last name) was pleased from reports I've read, and he doesn't sound like the type to blow sunshine up anyone's heinie. I'm officially confused.
    Last edited by tharrtell; 03-26-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Medalist

Signal

Callaghan must want us to fill in the blanks. I'd say the ISU wants a new champ, MK to retire, or not to hold up MK. Either way, I think ISU is using MK as an example, take out the leader and everyone can see that if anyone goes over the "rules" you'll be dealt with. It is a very subtle and bizarre rule to dock on a skater. Does anyone know how many skaters have been docked for going over their time? Is this a first at the world championships? Why MK and why at the world championships? This is not her first time skating that short, so...what gives?

April, my point exactly.............42

The "Signal"

Well, it's not an Eastern Bloc thing since the skaters involved are U.S. and Japan.

It's not about the 3/3 since Sasha is in 1st.

I don't believe the judges think MK is over the hill and should retire. How did she win worlds last year, then? And everyone knows she is immensely popular.

I believe the message is Michelle needs to do the GP. That was the big difference between her, Sasha and Shizuka this year. The Powers That Be didn't mind as much in 2003 since it was a post-Olympic year. But to skip 2 years in a row is something which wasn't looked upon favorably. There is the legitimate argument, which is that Kwan was not getting program feedback from an international panel of judges. Then there is the cynical one, that the ISU is pissed off at the snub because they lose ratings when she is not there. Either way, I think she better do the GP next year.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 03-26-2004 at 11:57 PM.

Ogre.........then if your theory is correct, all I can say is what a nasty way to do it...........42

Custom Title
    I agree with Richard about wanting to give Mk a signal. When Todd competed, in 1997 he was contending for the gold medal in worlds when he fell on his jump and wound up with the silver. In 1998, when he skated perfect, the judges ranked him 3rd at the Grand Prix final despite the fact that he skated well and was the same as the year before. However in their eyes, Ilia was the one to push. I think the same thing is happening now. The judges are excited by someone else and want to send a message that she's not a favorite anymore. I'm not going to get into the whole time thing, but I think that the message is that she needs to step aside.

BTW, I think Richard needs to get rid of that Kirk. She just doesn't have it.

TriGirl Rinkside
    The blanks have been filled ...

"I think they are telling her to retire," veteran U.S. coach Richard Callaghan said.

"Or maybe," he added, half in jest, "that they don't want any rich Americans in the sport."

[url]http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/8287695.htm[/url]

TriGirl Rinkside
    Ogre - I agree with you. She's got to do the GP next year ... needs to play the game. They might have overlooked it last year because maybe they felt her Oly disappointment? and/or she didn't have her sights set on 2006. Now that she's talking Turino, she better start acknowledging Speedy and the powers that be.

Show - I agree with you too ... nasty timing.

Rinkside
    Originally posted by tharrtell
    The blanks have been filled ...

"I think they are telling her to retire," veteran U.S. coach Richard Callaghan said.

"Or maybe," he added, half in jest, "that they don't want any rich Americans in the sport."

What inappropriate comments.

Maybe Callaghan wants less competition for his skater and he wants Michelle to retire.

Question

[color=orangered]Ya know, when judges play favorites and gift the champ, everybody else screams "FOUL". Now, with the COP, it really looks like an honest effort is being made to clean up the sport. So, what is the current whine? That Michelle got penalized for violating the RULES.

Isn't that just too ironic for words???

Picture it: January 2004. A coffee shop in Zurich. Twelve skating judges meet to discuss their secret mission: to conspire against Michelle Kwan and make sure she doesn't win the title.

Uh huh. Yeah, sure. That's exactly what happened.
    [/color]
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 03-27-2004 at 12:09 AM.

What's ironic is that Michelle appears to be the ONLY skater in the last two decades to have been penalized for it.......42

TriGirl Rinkside
    Apparently a rule rarely enforced in the elite levels. Now, I'm not saying that's right. In fact, I'm all for rules (I'd say more often than not I personally get screwed 'cause I'm a rule follower, but that is beside the point.), but I'm also for being consistent. To suddenly start to enforce a rule during worlds seems fishy to me.

Originally posted by show 42
    What's ironic is that Michelle appears to be the ONLY skater in the last two decades to have been penalized for it.......42
    [color=sienna]Let's spell this all together:

R-E-F-O-R-M
    [/color]

Amen to that, RGal......... 42

Lightbulb

Originally posted by tharrtell
    To suddenly start to enforce a rule during worlds seems fishy to me.
    [color=seagreen]When exactly SHOULD they start enforcing all of the rules? What better time than when the entire world is watching and can appreciate the major efforts being made to R-E-F-O-R-M the sport and its image?[/color]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast