Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Battle for bronze medals in pairs and ice dancing

Custom Title
    There are pros & cons to Virtue & Moir going to Worlds.

The pros for Canada would be that we would get 3 spots to next year's Worlds, which would help the other Canadian teams.

The cons are that unless Davis & White make mistakes, V&M are likely to finish 2nd again based on the way the scoring has gone for the past 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Megan Duhamel does come on a little strong sometimes.

I think she tries to project confidence and is quite ambitious. The thing is though, Megan & Eric haven't been as consistent or as clean this season as they wanted to be. If you say you want to be #1, you need to back it up. I know they were aiming high this season, but ironically they ended up being outskated by their Canadian colleagues Moore-Towers & Moscovitch at the Olympics and finishing as the #2 pair. So maybe D&R have wanted to win too badly this year and M-T&M are doing something right by the approach they've adopted lately.
    Moore-Towers and Moscovitch always try to have fun and be happy, which I appreciate about them. Not that I don't appreciate Meagan and Eric's serious, ultra-ambitious approach, but sometimes the former works better.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Moore-Towers and Moscovitch always try to have fun and be happy, which I appreciate about them. Not that I don't appreciate Meagan and Eric's serious, ultra-ambitious approach, but sometimes the former works better.
    Yeah, sometimes M-T&M have a bit more personality and chemistry on the ice than D&R. D&R are usually strong technically when they are on, but they can sometimes be a little robotic and stiff, or perhaps come across as less warm.

Not sure if D&R will continue after this season, but I think they will give it one more go at Worlds next month. They must have been a bit disappointed to finish below M-T&M since they are last year's World's bronze medalists.

I would love to see P&B get another bronze. But I think it's only possible if Voir are definitely skipping Worlds.

Custom Title
    I'm not sure I want to see P&B again after their less than gracious comments after the Dance event in Sochi.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Not sure if D&R will continue after this season, but I think they will give it one more go at Worlds next month. They must have been a bit disappointed to finish below M-T&M since they are last year's World's bronze medalists.
    Duhamel/Radford will continue and will be taking it one season at a time. So health permitting they are going to be competing for at least one more season.

I'm not sure I want to see P&B again after their less than gracious comments after the Dance event in Sochi.
    I'd much rather have their honesty over the usual PC crap.

Custom Title
    I can understand P&B being a bit surprised at how high I&K's marks were in Sochi. That type of an honest reaction is more understandable. But some of us were surprised to read in that French article that Fabian said he had given more to ice dance than Charlie White and Scott Moir. That seems odd considering White & Moir have had a much bigger impact in the ice dance world than Fabian. He has certainly been around for longer and is older, but that doesn't equal greater influence.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I wish the interview had included his explanation of his greater contributions.

Custom Title
    So if D/W got their DWTS contract, and assuming V/M aren't there ... then it's open season on the title. It will be between P/B (looking for a career capper), C/L (looking to add to their European crown), I/K (gaining momentum) and W/P (looking to capitalize on absence of V/M to whom they were always 2nd). The rank outsider of the top throng of teams minus the top two are B/S at this point, they have a strong short dance but their free dance has been revealed to be far too simple compared with the other top teams. Heck, even W/P finished ahead of them and got a bigger (to my ears) ovation than they did in Sochi, and B/S were the home team! (Although I must say while I am not their fan, I took no joy in seeing Katya break down at the end of their FD and they looking crushed in the K&C afterward.)

Should be exciting to watch!

I can understand P&B being a bit surprised at how high I&K's marks were in Sochi. That type of an honest reaction is more understandable. But some of us were surprised to read in that French article that Fabian said he had given more to ice dance than Charlie White and Scott Moir. That seems odd considering White & Moir have had a much bigger impact in the ice dance world than Fabian. He has certainly been around for longer and is older, but that doesn't equal greater influence.
    Do you have a link to that article?

If what you said is true, it is indeed obnoxious. I guess it's hard for everyone to have a truly honest self-assessment.

Technically D/W and V/M have pushed the boundaries, for sure. But that's not what P/B were talking about. For the most part D/W's and V/M's programs lacked creativity and originality and it was the same recycled, un-inspired Zoueva crap year in and year out.

There's a broader issue at play here with Ice Dance becoming 'stroking into technical elements' because of how poorly IJS is being applied.

This is what, I believe, P/B were talking about and they were certainly right about that. At least they tried to show something different and interesting every year, whether it worked or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Technically D/W and V/M have pushed the boundaries, for sure. But that's not what P/B were talking about. For the most part D/W's and V/M's programs lacked creativity and originality and it was the same recycled, un-inspired Zoueva crap year in and year out.

There's a broader issue at play here with Ice Dance becoming 'stroking into technical elements' because of how poorly IJS is being applied.

This is what, I believe, P/B were talking about and they were certainly right about that. At least they tried to show something different and interesting every year, whether it worked or not.
    "Different" doesn't always mean good or that it's at a high standard. Marlie and Voir's themes may have been kind of boring for a while, but so is everyone else's. Very few couples have come up with consistently extraordinary lifts as they have. P&B are lucky to have won as many accolades as their talents have taken them. They also recycled the same moves frequently. They did a Chaplin program, how original. This is the go-to program for skaters who can't properly do drama. Their best program IMO is their Flamenco. Then they did a ... I forget, they were lucky to have beaten people like Weaver & Poje, because many other couples are far more talented than them. Then a Mummy program. Again, so original, no one has done it before! Stannick Jeannette already did The Little Prince years ago.

The criteria is 1) originality 2) creativity 3) execution, none of which P&B are masters of. Competent at times, enough to win a World medal, but also hindered by nerves and lost a couple of medals because of it.

Frankly, the judges have coddled them for far too long - just because they've been around a long time doesn't mean ****. I think W&P, C&L, I&K, even B&S have far surpassed them a long time ago and have rightfully been placed ahead of them.

As far as I know, none of their programs are anyone's favorite. At the very least, I haven't read any "Best ever" lists with their programs mentioned.

As far as originality this season goes to Hurtado and Diaz, Gilles & Poirier....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

I'd much rather have their honesty over the usual PC crap.
    Me too. And here comes the backlash , only at GoldenSkate

I'm not sure that I agree 100% of what he said, but agree 90% of it.

I am glad he said it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    "Different" doesn't always mean good or that it's at a high standard.
    No but I'd rather have skaters take risks and make an attempt at something interesting than play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    They did a Chaplin program, how original. This is the go-to program for skaters who can't properly do drama. Their best program IMO is their Flamenco. Then they did a ... I forget, they were lucky to have beaten people like Weaver & Poje, because many other couples are far more talented than them. Then a Mummy program. Again, so original, no one has done it before! Stannick Jeannette already did The Little Prince years ago.
    Whether you are using a piece of music for the first time ever in skating or for a 1436th time is completely irrelevant. It's what you do with it, how you relate to it, the concept you come up with. Virtue/Moir's only interesting and creative program IMO was to "Carmen" - arguably the most overused piece of skating music - because they offered a different and sophisticated take on it.

I think P/B had their share of misses - this season's FD being one - but at least they have always tried to develop and deliver a concept. They have always put effort into the presentation side of things and I have a lot of respect for them for that. Especially that it's now something that's really getting ignored in Ice Dance and in this respect, the sport is really moving backwards and Bourzat was right to highlight that - whether you liked his programs and performances or not.

Custom Title
    Like Virtue/Moir's romantic programs, Pechalat/Bourzat always prefered comedy/funny/friendly programs. I'm not going to call that pushing boundaries. This is why I don't like ''Little Prince'' They are copying themselfs. Same idea, same movements, same lifts. Their choreography very predictable actually, If you are watch other dances from them. Squeeze all the technical elements in first 3 minutes and fill last 1 minute of the program with side by side easy holds, small jumps, running on ice...

http://youtu.be/302-syi45zg?t=3m35s (2011 FD-After the spin)
    http://youtu.be/_VIXdhXcAWM?t=4m5s (2012 FD- After the spin)
    http://youtu.be/zxi94RO8peY?t=3m52s (2013 FD-After the spin)
    http://youtu.be/3hG_pUkPcg0?t=3m43s (2014 FD-After the spin)

Love their Flamenco OD from 2008, they tried something sexy for finnstep too. But other than that no they are not really that creative.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast