Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 125

Thread: Battle for bronze medals in pairs and ice dancing

  1. #61
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    I can understand P&B being a bit surprised at how high I&K's marks were in Sochi.
    Me too, and I agree with that. However, the judges had no need to give I&K 6 point more in order to win the bronze. I mean 2 or 3 points would've been enough.

    No but I'd rather have skaters take risks and make an attempt at something interesting than play it safe.
    I think the "play it safe" thing is often abused tbh.
    It's good to try new things, be creative, original and push for more, but I would rather wish to see a beautiful double twist than a horrible triple twist. I would love to see a "simple" lift (which is quite difficult actually) rather than an acrobatic one.

  2. #62
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Me too, and I agree with that. However, the judges had no need to give I&K 6 point more in order to win the bronze. I mean 2 or 3 points would've been enough.
    On another thread after the FD in Sochi, P&B were quoted as saying (I think it was Fabian to be precise) that Scott Moir & Charlie White haven't contributed as much to the discipline of ice dance as they have. So to answer Skater Boy's question, that's what some people were objecting to. Things can get lost in translation though since it was from a French article, so perhaps in English people misunderstood what they said. But P&B sounded pretty jaded after the FD in Sochi.

  3. #63
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    On another thread after the FD in Sochi, P&B were quoted as saying (I think it was Fabian to be precise) that Scott Moir & Charlie White haven't contributed as much to the discipline of ice dance as they have. So to answer Skater Boy's question, that's what some people were objecting to. Things can get lost in translation though since it was from a French article, so perhaps in English people misunderstood what they said. But P&B sounded pretty jaded after the FD in Sochi.
    In an article - translated and brought in another thread so I don't know if it's 100% accurate - they said about I&K something similar to how could I&K improve seven points just in one week.
    I agree with that observation tbh, but my question is (assuming that the translation was accurate): I suppose they were implying that the judges were biased and wanted them to win the bronze right? While I understand the bias, I don't understand why the judges would give to I&K 7 points more than P&B just so they could win the bronze medal?

  4. #64
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    In an article - translated and brought in another thread so I don't know if it's 100% accurate - they said about I&K something similar to how could I&K improve seven points just in one week.
    I agree with that observation tbh, but my question is (assuming that the translation was accurate): I suppose they were implying that the judges were biased and wanted them to win the bronze right? While I understand the bias, I don't understand why the judges would give to I&K 7 points more than P&B just so they could win the bronze medal?
    I think that judges just wanted to be save that nothing unexpected could happen.
    As I know judges don’t have an opportunity to see technical base score so they don’t have any certain image of how high levels a couple got. And technical base value was always one of the biggest I&K’s weaknesses.

    I&K technical base value in FD from last season moved from 34,2 to 38,70, GOE varied from +5,45 to +10,38. This season technical base in FD varied from 36,2 to 40,20, GOE from +7,66 to +10,31. The highest base score at TEB was 40,20 and GOE +10,31, but judges and technical specialist forgot to notice and marked Lena’s stumble in step sequence, so being more objective, score or GOE or both of it would be a little bit lower (and P&B would be silver in Paris). But still with usual technical score and component score (from 50,16 to 54,69) I&K gets this season – they wouldn’t be able to keep the Bronze Medal.

    Judges already failed few times in moment when their effort for keeping I&K on first place or at least medal position was quite obvious. Last year Ghost program was critised by many people, it was simple program which had not much commom to programs of top couples. B&S Psycho program was better in every aspect, but at Europeans 2013 althought B&S had better levels in FD, judges gave higher components and as usual higher GOE to I&K, so the couple won free dance…but finally lost first place about 0,11 points. From judges mark it is obvious who they wanted to see on first place, but thanks to lower levels, I&K lost Gold Medal and European Title.
    This season at NHK Trophy once again I&K got very good GOE and great components for FD, but low levels caused final fourth place behind Shibutanis.
    And again at Europeans 2014 judges gave components like nothing bad like fall and “out of character“ step sequence would happen (more than 2 points higher than at TEB). And once again the couple missed planned Gold Medal about 1,10 points (and it was once again mainly because of lower levels - I&K got level 2 for step sequence and level 3 for twizzles).

    So at the Olympics judges needed to give such GOE and components to be sure that even with lower levels I&K would stay on the third place. But this time surprisingly levels stayed high. Spin was OK, step sequence was for the first time marked level 4 (while all other times it was level 2 or 3) and even twizzles stayed level 4 (although it should be downgraded because of Nikita’s two piruettes during it).
    Judges marks caused that a couple improved about 7 points in 5 days, not thanks to levels (they got 1,5 points more for level 4 step sequence in comparison with level 3 step sequence), but once again a couple rised in GOE about 3,78 points more and in components about 2,18 points more – that is 5,96 points more because judges decided so (althought twizzles were better in Team competition).
    This caused that I&K got the second highest GOE in all lifts – so they should be the second best lift performers, which is funny, because in second lift Nikita was not stable at all and fourth lift was heavily looked.
    110 points really looked like judges simply wanted I&K on third position no matter what.


    Until Olympics season best SD:
    P&B – 70,59, W&P – 70,35, C&L – 69,88, I&K - 69,54, B&S – 68,90, but being at one competition B&S overcome all teams
    At Olympics SD:
    I&K – 73,04, P&B – 72,78, B&S – 69,97, C&L – 67,58, W&P – 65,93
    Until Olympics season best FD:
    W&P – 104,88, I&K – 102,82, P&B – 102,48, C&L – 102,03, B&S – 99,90
    (both W&P marks were at home Grand Prix, B&S best score was with a fall)
    At Olympics FD:
    I&K – 110,44, P&B – 104,44, W&P – 103,18, B&S – 102,95, C&L – 101,92

    I&K improved in SD from Europeans about 3,48 points (Europeans SD was clean, Olympics SD had Lena’s stumble in non element…funny that some people here say that B&S with non synchro twizzles gets lower marks in everything and it is OK and “on place“, but Lena’s stumble and increased mark about 3,48 points is OK as well).
    In FD I&K improved since their season best about 7,62 points which is a big jump if we take into account that we are in dance cathegory where marks are not changing so much and so often. No other couple made such improvement in marks – especially when season best was gotten with clean skate and suddenly with very similar skate (but with minor mistake in SD and shacky moment in twizzles and one lift in FD) points arised so much.
    So I am not surprised that Fabian had an idea that I&K marks came unexpectedly and “from nowhere“.

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    879
    Eh after the loss of their home grand prix event to Ilinykh/Katsalapov, one would think they had another game plan to beat them in Olympics. After all they lost almost every element GOE to I/K in France. Lucky for them I/K probably not going to skate good at worlds. They have two bad-one good competition pattern.

  6. #66
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Eh after the loss of their home grand prix event to Ilinykh/Katsalapov, one would think they had another game plan to beat them in Olympics. After all they lost almost every element GOE to I/K in France. Lucky for them I/K probably not going to skate good at worlds. They have two bad-one good competition pattern.
    Everybody (except V&M and D&W) looses GOE to I&K even in moments while this couple is doing mistakes.

    Judging at TEB...it was one big "behind the scene" game, which had nothing to do with skating. There were happening things which would make another scandal and maybe even bigger like that one in French article.

  7. #67
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by sisinka View Post
    I think that judges just wanted to be save that nothing unexpected could happen.
    As I know judges don’t have an opportunity to see technical base score so they don’t have any certain image of how high levels a couple got. And technical base value was always one of the biggest I&K’s weaknesses.
    Judges do know the tech base value of each program though. They do see all practices and know their programs. What remain to be seen it's the execution, and even after the performance they do have all the elements called so they would know right?
    Just out of curiosity, as I said I do agree with P&B comment.

  8. #68
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Not everything by Bergman is a classic. He made his share of mediocrities.
    Yup, I'd love to see a free skate to "The Silence". That film had no actual film score. :P

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I honestly have no idea what will happen with P&B with the judges. While I hope it doesnt happen it wouldnt even 100% shock me if they really got hammered for their post Sochi comments and finished right off the podium (not a prediction, but it wouldnt shock me either) .
    and knowing Worlds will be their last appearance, the judges will hammer them
    no way will they give gold to a retiring team

  10. #70
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Yup, I'd love to see a free skate to "The Silence". That film had no actual film score. :P
    How about "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

  11. #71
    P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    437
    I remember reading in the forums people projected I/K not getting bronze because they're so unreliable in terms of how they skate - in that aspect, P/B are usually more consistent. When I/K are on their game they're great. When they're off... Not so pretty.

    Personally, I was shocked at I/K's sudden rising - sure, in Sochi I did think they were better than P/B (and this is coming from a big P/B fan), but I didn't think they were six whole points better. I'm calling home field advantage on that huge difference - two or three points I could understand. Not six. And Fabian, though he may have worded it wrong, I think is correct to be shocked at their sudden raise in marks overall.

    And it wouldn't surprise me at Worlds to not have P/B not get gold, but considering their Olympic marks and the fact that D/W and V/M are skipping worlds this year if not retiring altogether, it would come as a big shock to me for them not to at least get on the podium.

  12. #72
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,769
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    and knowing Worlds will be their last appearance, the judges will hammer them
    no way will they give gold to a retiring team
    B&K 2003.. that is all.

  13. #73
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,542
    It is not unheard of for an about to retire team or skater that failed to get a medal at Olympics for one reason or another when they might have been expected to medal to do well at Worlds, provided of course that they don't retire first.

    1984 - Blumberg & Seibert, Underhill & Martini
    1998 - Meno & Sand
    2002 - Ina & Zimmerman
    2006 - Petrova & Tikhonov
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-17-2014 at 04:15 AM.

  14. #74
    Rogue Leader
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,522
    And Winkler and Lohse in their last season. Although they skated at home in Germany.

  15. #75
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,549
    P/B's chance of beating I/K may come down to which judges are on the panel for the FD. If FRA is off and BLR, ISR, RUS and UKR are on, P/B could be lucky to get bronze, and if ITA and CAN are on the FD panel, P/B could be off the podium entirely.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •