Davis/White future | Golden Skate

Davis/White future

mwk81

Rinkside
I know Virtue/Moir are likely retiring, but has there been any word on Davis/White?

tulosai

Record Breaker
No, no official word. I read that at the press conference after he said they are not ready to think about that yet they are still enjoying their moment.

That said, most assume they will retire. Most also assume (based on comments they have made) that they will go to Worlds this year.

BlackPack

Medalist
They just won OGM yesterday... ;) It's like asking a newly married woman whether she's pregnant yet.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They just won OGM yesterday... ;) It's like asking a newly married woman whether she's pregnant yet.

LOL! This made me chuckle. Reminds me of the time I was at Macy's exchanging a wedding gift. I wore a trench coat,which was kind of baggy and the sales clerk kept asking me. "So when's the big day?" I thought she was talking about my wedding...so I kept saying...It was a few weeks ago.

Then she pointed at my stomach. And I realize she thought I was pregnant.

I was a bit horrified because 1.) I wasn't but somehow I looked pregnant and 2.) I was there to return a wedding gift....did she really think I was that much in a hurry?

noskates

Record Breaker

THAT was funny. Yes, let them enjoy the moment and the rest of the Games. I have always wondered if Charlie would go into coaching with Zoueva. And then both took a year off from Michigan State so my guess is going back to college is in both their futures.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, no official word. I read that at the press conference after he said they are not ready to think about that yet they are still enjoying their moment.

That said, most assume they will retire. Most also assume (based on comments they have made) that they will go to Worlds this year.

On the Today show this morning, Davis/White were asked about their future, and they avoided giving a meaningful answer. Totally understandable that they did, and they delivered the non-answer with good humor, but they obviously wanted to say nothing.

.. And then both took a year off from Michigan State ...

You mean the University of Michigan. :) Big diff for those who care. ;)

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
In an interview with a Detroit paper, Meryl said they are planning on defending their world title. What happens after that is up in the air.

I think they will probably retire and return to school full-time so they can finish their degrees while still in their 20s! I hope they are celebrated in the US with lots of lucrative sponsorhips and dare we hope, a DWTS appearance!!

They are headliners in the US Stars on Ice Tour and I would hope they would be invited to appear in lots of shows world-wide. They didn't do any shows after their 2013 World title to concentrate on the Olympics.

ivy

On the Ice
I think they should stay and push the sport in new directions. I think they actually have a lot more to give and develop, if they choose to

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think they will go Worlds, win it, then retire. However they wont announce their retirement until 2018, and will give the impression they are planning a "comeback" while raking in endorsements while still being an "active" team. They wont compete in the next 4 years, but will not reveal they are no longer an active team in that span.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Being a selfish FS fan, it would be very nice for them to stay a bit longer, I would be very curious to see what they would be able to create :p ... But it would be extremely terrible for all the other top teams ;)

millie

Medalist
I think Charlie want to spend more time with his girl friend Tanith. Wouldn't it be nice if they hooked up on the ice as a dance team. Then the chemistry will flow. Lol

jfdw

Rinkside
I think they should stay and push the sport in new directions. I think they actually have a lot more to give and develop, if they choose to
I think it would be wonderful for their fans if they stayed. But they have been at for 17 years. I think they have set aside their education and life for it. Now they have reached the pinnacle. Maybe compete in World's as it is so close in time.

Then I think they will retire and we should wish them well. They have the rest of their lives to live now He is 26 she is 27 I would presume they will want to finish their education. They can still skate in shows and pro competitions but they will not have to devote all their living and breathing time to training. Perhaps they will want to marry and have a family. They deserve that as much as any of us. I say it has been a wonderful ride and now you do what make you happy. I agree with you Ivy it would be wonderful to have them longer but like parents we eventually have to let them go and live their lives.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see them stay in until Worlds 2016, which will be in Boston, then retire.

amc987

On the Ice
I think they're going to go to Worlds, win, and retire. What's the point in staying if you've won multiple world championships/ OSM/ OGM? What else is there to win? They got nearly 10s on all of their components and level 4s with +2s and +3s on all their dance elements. It's hard to see them getting any better than they are now.

I'd love to see them forever, but I think they might be ready to think about doing other things as well. The same is true of Tessa and Scott. The career accomplishments of both these teams will stand forever. And we have YouTube!

If any of them wants to continue partially, by making appearances in shows and suchlike, that would be the best of both worlds! But whatever they do is cool with me. YouTube, remember.

slider11

Medalist
Agree with everyone. But my guess is that D/W will go to Worlds and then retire or "take a break" from competitive skating. I think finishing their schooling is very important to them. The second option will give them the ability to do shows and continue to attract/maintain big sponsors. They should be the classic, text book case for how to succeed in a sport - or anything for that matter. Perseverance and incredible hard work are their mantra. Sure, they got lucky with not being hurt and finding a compatible partner. But I think they worked at both of those issues - they stayed very, very fit (Meryl particularly developed terrific core and musculature that saved Charlie's back) and they worked out disagreements rather than walked away from a partner every few years. They also found a good coach and stuck with her even when their top competitors were in the same rink. Apparently Virtue and Moir are having problems with this now but Davis and White seemed to balance the need for exclusivity with the importance of getting some time with a special coach like Marina. I hope some of the younger teams and single skaters are paying attention. D/W took every advantage they got and made it ten-fold by adding their own work ethic and commitment. Bravo to whatever the future bring!

mintx

On the Ice
Agreed! Luck and hard work both combined to make them a remarkable partnership. They did survive one injury. Charlie was injured playing hockey before his senior year in HS so they missed Nationals at the Junior level one year. He gave up hockey after that. There was wan long interview/profile said that the blessing of it was that the extra time allowed them to spend more time enjoying their senior year of HS. They said in the same piece that they trained much less than other teams while continuing to attend HS instead of homeschooling.

Matt K

On the Ice
I think they will continue till at least 2016. One thing I've noticed this season, especially GPF and Olympics, is they don't look like they enjoy skating anymore. I mean, they've been doing the same twizzles over and over and over for several years and their performance doesn't have that joy or "IT" factor that other skaters just ooze. D/W don't have the most natural talent to begin with, so kudos for their hard work in making it work. But their marks though, :rolleye:

I'm really afraid where ice dance is headed. Some ice dancers are picking up on D/W's bad tendencies already, in skating and choreography (like Coomes/Buckland. Sorry fans, their SD is horrid.).

Something about D/W's SD is totally off. Aside from their mechanical arms, and the criticism from Petri Kokko about how their timing and character was off in the Finnstep, there was something so old about it. I/K were flirty and young, V/M were sultry and sophisticated, P/B were sexy and mature, and D/W was just an old divorced couple out there.