Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Hybrid View

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Please, please do not let this turn into a skater or each other bashing thread
    Skaters or their style can be like a style of cuisine or a vacation spot, you are either captured by the magic or you are not. Maybe there's a reason, maybe you can't put your finger on it. It certainly doesn't mean you don't respect the hard work and skill, you're just not drawn in. So, please share, who are yours?

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Oh yeah (duh)--I'll start. Plushenko, who I felt was overly show-y. Mao, Carolina and Gracie, for the "I can't put my finger on it" reason.

Yuna, Scott Moir, and Patrick Chan. And I have seen the men live in Paris. Still don't like them, although I think they are great skaters. Just not my "cup of tea."

My coach just told me a funny story about Plushenko. He was on drug duty in Minneapolis for 1998 Worlds and was assigned to Plushenko. Said he was a very funny and approachable guy who asked jokingly if he could have a beer!

Custom Title
    Patrick Chan

Custom Title
    Top Women: Gracie, Julia, Kaetlyn, Kanako
    Top Men: Yuzuru, Jason B

Tripping on the Podium
    Carolina, Alissa, Plushenko, Patrick

Custom Title
    There are some I can't figure out why they are considered so great.

Yuna--deserved her wins, but to me, she's just a cookie-cutter, but excellent skater, without a unique trick/spin/way of skating. See also Carolina. I don't see that great speed, maybe it's something not coming across on tv. She was great at the team performance, though, and she was gracious when she lost to Alissa Czisny at the GPF, so she has grown on me a bit.

Patrick--my dislike of him is based more on his poor performance. I think I would like him if he skated clean more often.

Virtue and Moir--also seem to skate slow for a top team (as it appears on tv--live might be different) and their long programs are starting to run together.

Chan, Plushenko, SS and Yuna

Carolina, Julia, S/S, I/K

Davis and White, even if I admire them so much for the incredible level of perfection they've reached!
    Liza Tuktamysheva, but mainly because of her Latino programs
    Bazarova and Larionov: simply don't like their style

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Oh yeah (duh)--I'll start. Plushenko, who I felt was overly show-y. Mao, Carolina and Gracie, for the "I can't put my finger on it" reason.
    That's close to my list too. I'm still deciding on Gracie though. It's funny cause I feel like I should like Carolina and especially Mao, as a supporter of the 'artsy' side of skating. But there is something I find awkward about each of them. Though both have delivered performances I have enjoyed.

Irina Slutskaya and Sarah Hughes always bugged me back in the day, especially when they beat Michelle - lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    It's funny cause I feel like I should like Carolina and especially Mao, as a supporter of the 'artsy' side of skating. But there is something I find awkward about each of them. Though both have delivered performances I have enjoyed.
    A few years ago I would have had Carolina on my list too. It took me a while to warm up to her because her numerous mistakes bugged me, but she has cut down on those in the last few years (maybe not so much this season). I still think if she can skate a clean LP that will be the most memorable performance of the games even if she isn't able to catch the others on TES.