Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertskates

Medalist
Please, please do not let this turn into a skater or each other bashing thread :)
Skaters or their style can be like a style of cuisine or a vacation spot, you are either captured by the magic or you are not. Maybe there's a reason, maybe you can't put your finger on it. It certainly doesn't mean you don't respect the hard work and skill, you're just not drawn in. So, please share, who are yours?

desertskates

Medalist
Oh yeah (duh)--I'll start. Plushenko, who I felt was overly show-y. Mao, Carolina and Gracie, for the "I can't put my finger on it" reason.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yuna, Scott Moir, and Patrick Chan. And I have seen the men live in Paris. Still don't like them, although I think they are great skaters. Just not my "cup of tea."

My coach just told me a funny story about Plushenko. He was on drug duty in Minneapolis for 1998 Worlds and was assigned to Plushenko. Said he was a very funny and approachable guy who asked jokingly if he could have a beer!

Poodlepal

On the Ice
There are some I can't figure out why they are considered so great.

Yuna--deserved her wins, but to me, she's just a cookie-cutter, but excellent skater, without a unique trick/spin/way of skating. See also Carolina. I don't see that great speed, maybe it's something not coming across on tv. She was great at the team performance, though, and she was gracious when she lost to Alissa Czisny at the GPF, so she has grown on me a bit.

Patrick--my dislike of him is based more on his poor performance. I think I would like him if he skated clean more often.

Virtue and Moir--also seem to skate slow for a top team (as it appears on tv--live might be different) and their long programs are starting to run together.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Davis and White, even if I admire them so much for the incredible level of perfection they've reached!
Liza Tuktamysheva, but mainly because of her Latino programs
Bazarova and Larionov: simply don't like their style :eek:hwell:

ivy

On the Ice
Oh yeah (duh)--I'll start. Plushenko, who I felt was overly show-y. Mao, Carolina and Gracie, for the "I can't put my finger on it" reason.

That's close to my list too. I'm still deciding on Gracie though. It's funny cause I feel like I should like Carolina and especially Mao, as a supporter of the 'artsy' side of skating. But there is something I find awkward about each of them. Though both have delivered performances I have enjoyed.

Irina Slutskaya and Sarah Hughes always bugged me back in the day, especially when they beat Michelle - lol ;)

RiceSkate

Rinkside
Yuna Kim. Great jumps but artistically robotic for me. Her spiral, layback freeleg, and the yuna bent leg layback are not great positions to look at (thank goodness no more spiral sequences lol!)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's funny cause I feel like I should like Carolina and especially Mao, as a supporter of the 'artsy' side of skating. But there is something I find awkward about each of them. Though both have delivered performances I have enjoyed.

A few years ago I would have had Carolina on my list too. It took me a while to warm up to her because her numerous mistakes bugged me, but she has cut down on those in the last few years (maybe not so much this season). I still think if she can skate a clean LP that will be the most memorable performance of the games even if she isn't able to catch the others on TES.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Plushy. Blah.

Davis and White. I can see they're good, but with the exception of a few programs they've never drawn me in.

Kanako, I guess.

Volosozhar and Trankov

Carolina for most of her career, although I've been liking her better recently.

Mao usually doesn't grab me, either, although occasionally she does.

Gracie

Seruleane

Final Flight
Gracie Gold: just not that impressed with her skating, and something about her off-ice persona really bugs me...can't explain why.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sale/Pelettier
Sonja Henie
Patrick Chan
Katarina Witt
Savchenko / Szolkowy
Virtue/Moir
Osmond
Alexi Yagudin
Gordeeva/Grinkov
Elvis Stjoko
Scott Hamilton
Sarah Hughes
The Shibutanis
Emily Hughes
Torvil/Dean
Grishuk/Platov
Evan Lysacek
Wagner
Flatt
Zhang
Tuktamysheva
Pechalat/Bourzat
Duhamel/Radford
Shen/Zhao
Akiko Suzuki
Capellini/Lanotte
Weaver/Poje
Totmianina / Marinin
Bobrova / Soloviev

noskates

Record Breaker
Plushenko. First and foremost and since the first time I saw him.
Evan Lysacek because of the way he badmouthed Johnny Weir and I didn't think he was a good sportsman.
Max Aaron - because all he is is jumps. Want more of a well-rounded skater with finesses and style. Elvis Stojko for the same reason.
Carolina for the "I can't put my finger on it."

Gee sky-fly20....do you like anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.