Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manitou

Medalist
I still think that they are adorable, though. Have you ever watched some of their videos? They are wonderful kids :)
[/url][/B]

Hmmm, they are not kids anymore....
They grew out of the "cuteness" factor already...

Zamboni

On the Ice
Hmmm, they are not kids anymore....
They grew out of the "cuteness" factor already...

No, they didn't. Maia looks younger than she is. They are cute.

But then the vast majority of figure skaters are very attractive. I can think of very few that aren't.

ginal

Rinkside
The sandwhich incident wasn't that bad (though certainly not good either), IMO. On the other hand, that time when she put on huge nerd glasses, put an oversized, bright pink bow into her hair, narrowed her eyes to slit eyes and put on a fake smile and a peace sign to call that her "Asian Face"... I'm not sure I'd flat out call it racist, but at least every asian person I know felt offended by that. I'm not going to call her a bad person or something, but it certainly made me like her less.

I had no idea about either of these things. I just googled gracie gold and sandwich incident. Yes, what you describe she did is racist, she is an idiot. Hopefully she will learn and grow, but you wonder where she got this from. Family, friends, television? who knows. If she's 50 and still doing these things, there isn't much hope but at 18, I'll give her a chance.

figuristka

Medalist
Maé-Bérénice Méité after olympics i add to my list
Brezina could be alot better if he went to a Canadian choregrapher such as David Wilson, Lori Nicol etc

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yikes. That's a long time to dislike any and all pairs.

(This in reply to my earlier post on this thread that I haven't really liked any pairs teams since B/S).

Yes. Yes it is a long time. But, I want passion or beautiful artistry or originality.... hopefully all three in once, but I need SOMETHJING special.

I was raised on the Protopopovs, Irina Rodnina, B/G, G/G, M/D.... all of them brought something really special, and pairs used to be my favorite discipline.

Now, I don't actively dislike any of the current crop (meaning the last 8 years or so!), it's just that I find something missing.

Despite more tricks and danger and definitely more activity... pairs has become boring because everyone looks the same.

For example, I have the same complaint about death spirals that I have about laybacks in the ladies events. We get plenty of different positions as pairs check off the boxes for additional levels, but none of them are particularly beautiful, and they all end up looking the same. I'd much rather see a spectacularly done classic version.

AnastasiaO

Rinkside
Carolina Kostern, I don't understand why everybody is so crazy about her artistry and why she gets monstrious pcs everytime

catija

Rinkside
not my cup of tea…

LADIES
irina slutskaya
surya bonaly
tara lipinski
sarah hughes

MEN
plushenko - never ever been a fan. i remember mishin and plushko giving away autograph photos of himself at the GPF in kitchener back in… 2001/2 and i actually gave it back to them :) mishin gave me a look ha!

PAIRS
volosozhar & trankov

ICE DANCE
davis & white - never connected with them don't see the hype
fusar poli & margalio

Flaya

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan for sure.

What an overrated skater, cannot handle the pressure.

The Canadian federation is very aggressive in pushing him through, I actually expected them to *complain* because he did not get Gold.

And he is the most overscored skater of our times.

louisa05

Final Flight
I had no idea about either of these things. I just googled gracie gold and sandwich incident. Yes, what you describe she did is racist, she is an idiot. Hopefully she will learn and grow, but you wonder where she got this from. Family, friends, television? who knows. If she's 50 and still doing these things, there isn't much hope but at 18, I'll give her a chance.

The suburban high school kids I taught, in a nearly all white school, regularly did stuff like that and we would have to explain why it is inappropriate and racist. They were not exposed to diversity and learned lots of stereotypes through popular culture. I'm willing to overlook it a little in teens, but she should be learning as she goes and we should stop seeing it.

greig

Rinkside
Maé-Bérénice Méité, gutted she finished ahead of valentina..she is a great technical skater and a brilliant jumper but she is too rough around the edges..she needs to soften her routines

moviechick

On the Ice
The suburban high school kids I taught, in a nearly all white school, regularly did stuff like that and we would have to explain why it is inappropriate and racist. They were not exposed to diversity and learned lots of stereotypes through popular culture. I'm willing to overlook it a little in teens, but she should be learning as she goes and we should stop seeing it.

Gold lives in LA, not Alabama though.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Elvis Stoyko was never my cup of tea :/

ed. to add: Also that pair skating team- can't remember their names but I think the guy was a truck driver and the girl was a waitress? :rolleye:

waitress = Calla Urbanski
truck driver = Rocky Marval

Olympians in '92 or '94 (aging brain cells can't remember which & am too lazy to Google). They were sort of the Jamaican bobsled team of their day. :biggrin:

lady_bee

Medalist
Osmond's pants on her dresses are very bothersome to me and completely distract from anything she puts on ice. Could she PLEASE find better elastic?

:laugh:
If I were her mother, I would never let her go out with those dresses.
Or maybe, I am jearous of her youth and beauty?

aquacandy83

Rinkside
Brian Boitano
Davis & White
Bestianova & Bukin
Oksana/Pasha Grishuk & Platov (though I really liked Usova & Platov after they dumped their old partners & skated pro together)
Sotnikova
Plushenko
Tara Lipinski
Rosalynn Sumners

melly

Rinkside
waitress = Calla Urbanski
truck driver = Rocky Marval

Olympians in '92 or '94 (aging brain cells can't remember which & am too lazy to Google). They were sort of the Jamaican bobsled team of their day. :biggrin:

Rocky Marval married Isabelle Brasseur ( I loved Brasseur and Eisler back in the day). Their daughter, Gabriella Marvaldi, is a pairs skater. Junior level, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.