Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Philippe Candeloro as a pro

I used to like Plushy a lot, but his unsportsmanlike behavior @ 2010 Olympics turned me off.

Pasha Grishuk

Memelah711

Rinkside
I loved to watch Sasha she had great extension and learned to express music very well - but I was always waiting for the shoe to drop because she rarely could be clean for the whole competition.

Sasha did have lovely extensions and musicality, but I guess what did her in for me was her lack of consistency. She would be awesome in the SP, but fall apart in the FS. I guess over the years, I got frustrated with that and wrote her off. To my knowledge, I never saw her put together two clean programs at the same competition ever. It gets to be a downer when you see someone with her talent and they never quite live up to it.

Not just with Sasha, but I do try to find a positive quality I like about every skater.

figuristka

Medalist
presently active skaters highly ranked who made the Olympics

Gracie Gold
Murakami
kevin Reynolds
Plushenko- though liked him in his younger days though Yagudin i much prefered.
Han Yan

About their style on ice only. This can change though. Used to not like Kostner much but now love her. Skaters can grow.

bibi24

Final Flight
Yagudin- found his air position to be 'messy'
Tim Geobel- ugly posture / shoulders
Kostner- awkward spinning the other way, too long legs/body
Lysacek- weird name, arm flailing
Max Arron/Richard Dornbush/joshua farris- American forum posters hyping up their country's skaters
Julia- Tara Lipinski had waaaay more emotions / joy
Jeff Langdon- overhyped Canadian at Olympics
Grishuk/Platov- I like Bourne and Kratz
Akiko Suzuki- too short / short legs
Florent Amodio- too much showboat to his 'fans'
Nathan Chen- overhyped, Nam Nguyen / Shoma Uno are just as good
Surya Bonaly- better suited for Gymnastics
Tonia Kwiatkowski- too big / beefy

Commentator: Tom Hammond- annoying voice, captain obvious, rehashed catch phrases

louisa05

Final Flight
sometimes i don't why we have to dislike a skater...every skater works very hard to fight for their dreams...

There is a difference between actively disliking someone and saying you don't really get into watching a certain skater. I think that people on the boards often don't grasp that and then the flame wars over "haters" start.

Max Aaron is not my cup of tea. And many men before him who didn't do much well besides have big jumps.

Patrick has never been my favorite. He is probably the only skater whose personality has turned me off more than his skating. Every time I start to like his skating a little, he opens his mouth and I end up shaking my head. The Canadian federation might have done well to just never let him speak to the media. And all the excuses fans make for him in that area begin to run cold. A person can only misspeak so many times.

aragray

Rinkside
There is a difference between actively disliking someone and saying you don't really get into watching a certain skater. I think that people on the boards often don't grasp that and then the flame wars over "haters" start.

:agree:

Personally, I don't feel connected with Chan, Lipnitskaia, Wagner, and Machida but they're all obviously fantastic skaters nonetheless

mskater93

Record Breaker
Osmond's pants on her dresses are very bothersome to me and completely distract from anything she puts on ice. Could she PLEASE find better elastic?

mwk81

Rinkside
Lipnitskaya/Sotnikova. They just don't do anything for me. They seem to go through the moves

mskater93

Record Breaker
Osmond's pants on her dresses are very bothersome to me and completely distract from anything she puts on ice. Could she PLEASE find better elastic?

Although, I understood that someone ACTUALLY sewed her dress to her tights today! YAY!

ericka141

On the Ice
I'm probably the only one, but Gracie Gold. She's a beautiful skater, but I feel like her success is based on the fact that she's the "perfect American sweetheart" with her looks and personality. I've never felt emotion while watching her performances.

Javier Fernandez too. Boring.

meem

On the Ice
Nah...you're not the only one (re: Gracie). I just don't "get" the adoration of her skating - it's cold, her long arms windmill too much (altho' thank goodness Lori tamed that w/ the new SP) & there's just something about her that comes across (to me) as icy. Now Javier was really an attractive skater prior to being coached by Orser; he now skates just like Brian did back in the day & it really bugs me. I also don't understand the awe of Yuna Kim & Mao Asada. They skate with no expression on their faces (Yuna especially comes across robotic to me). Last but not least, Jeremy Abbott (beautiful skating skills but the implosions during performance and verbal really are OTT and annoying). I'm glad I have a very long list of skaters (current and retired) whom I love(d) watching compete!

I'm probably the only one, but Gracie Gold. She's a beautiful skater, but I feel like her success is based on the fact that she's the "perfect American sweetheart" with her looks and personality. I've never felt emotion while watching her performances.

Javier Fernandez too. Boring.

noskates

Record Breaker

OMG I'm laughing. I was texting with my friend during the team competition and I said "I've seen more of Osmond's butt than I ever wanted to!" I don't think it's elastic, I think they're just too small!

Against all odds and most of the posters here - I like Patrick Chan. I guess I don't think anything has come out of his mouth that's been worse than a favorite Russian skater. I love his skating and quite frankly don't care what he says. I do believe he revolutionized men's skating where you could be extremely athletic as well as graceful and do beautiful choreography. His job is to skate - not give good interviews and often I think he's nervous when he answers questions or just doesn't think. He certainly isn't the only figure skater with that problem. But - when you're on the top for so long it just gives people a clear target.

moviechick

On the Ice
I think Chan crossed the line of naive/stupid when he said he would rather skate for China cause he thought they'd be nicer to him than Canada and then he "didn't know" they had human rights issues. Like dude, just no. lol.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I would agree about D/R, Fruit Loops. They do seem very try-hard to me and gritting out the elements instead of looking effortless. They probably wouldn't be my cup of tea if not for having the highest difficulty of all pairs, which is really commendable.

I do commend them for that too! And as a biased Canadian fan ;) I do root for them to do well. They're just not my cup o'tea. I much prefer M-T/M.

Manitou

Medalist
Costner. She is simply annoying. Reminds me of an elephant.
Yuna is robotic and cold and has a diva attitude, but I can handle her. Usually going against her, but I acknowledge her accomplishments.
Shibutanis are also annoying. Being siblings they will never achieve any success because of the obvious lack of chemistry between them.

I am into youth, energy and athleticism, not "art". This is sports. I can watch art elsewhere, but sports are supposed to be sports.

Zamboni

On the Ice
Yagudin- found his air position to be 'messy'
Tim Geobel- ugly posture / shoulders
Kostner- awkward spinning the other way, too long legs/body
Lysacek- weird name, arm flailing
Max Arron/Richard Dornbush- American forum posters hyping up their country's skaters
Julia- Tara Lipinski had waaaay more emotions / joy
Jeff Langdon- overhyped Canadian at Olympics
Grishuk/Platov- I like Bourne and Kratz
Akiko Suzuki- too short / short legs
Florent Amodio- too much showboat to his 'fans'
Nathan Chen- overhyped, Nam Nguyen / Shoma Uno are just as good
Surya Bonaly- better suited for Gymnastics
Tonia Kwiatkowski- too big / beefy

Commentator: Tom Hammond- annoying voice, captain obvious, rehashed catch phrases

Weird name??? :mad: What does that have to do with his skating?

I think Chan crossed the line of naive/stupid when he said he would rather skate for China cause he thought they'd be nicer to him than Canada and then he "didn't know" they had human rights issues. Like dude, just no. lol.

Did he really say that? :eek:

Costner. She is simply annoying. Reminds me of an elephant.
Yuna is robotic and cold and has a diva attitude, but I can handle her. Usually going against her, but I acknowledge her accomplishments.
Shibutanis are also annoying. Being siblings they will never achieve any success because of the obvious lack of chemistry between them.

I am into youth, energy and athleticism, not "art". This is sports. I can watch art elsewhere, but sports are supposed to be sports.

The Shibs have been third in the world and are Olympians. I think that is far more successful than at least 99% of skaters already. And they are not finished yet.

moviechick

On the Ice
“Sometimes I feel we are not appreciated for how much work we put in. If my parents hadn’t emigrated from China and, say, I had skated for China, things would have been very different. My parents wouldn’t have had to make as much sacrifices as they have and there would be a lot more respect for what we do as figure skaters.”

LOL. That's not how China works.

Zamboni

On the Ice
“Sometimes I feel we are not appreciated for how much work we put in. If my parents hadn’t emigrated from China and, say, I had skated for China, things would have been very different. My parents wouldn’t have had to make as much sacrifices as they have and there would be a lot more respect for what we do as figure skaters.”

LOL. That's not how China works.

I knew that Chan has said some strange things but I didn't know about that! Perhaps he thinks that because China gives free coaching that makes it better? Don't his parents know about human rights abuses in China? Why did they emigrate to a free country like Canada? OK, Patrick . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.