Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miki88

Medalist
Gracie Gold (Her presentation just has this "pageant Queen" feeling to it.)
Ashely Wagner (Just can't get into her skating)

qwertyskates

Medalist
Max too chunky??? I guess you mean too muscular? :think: Sorry that he is not your cup of tea, but he is as fit as they come -- certainly not overweight.

He is built 100% of muscle, no doubt, otherwise I'd describe it as "flabbiness". I try not to be biased, but his muscular built affected his moves, it looks more stiff and less fluid. Great jumper, but lacks lyricism. I tried to picture him softening his movement but the "chunkiness" (like Optimus Prime of the Transformers) gets in the way. I'll change my mind when he does develop the grace to go with his jumps.:p

ElGrecoTaco

Spectator
Bonaly
Butyrskaya - nothing ever looked smooth
Lipinski - jumps too small
Flatt
Asada - too much about the axel that was rarely landed, other stuff suffered

Stojko - lack of grace
Plushy - hard to get past the mullet and fake 'emotion'
Goebel - all about the jumps and nothin else. bad posture
Han Yan - see Goebel
Reynolds - see Goebel

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He is built 100% of muscle, no doubt, otherwise I'd describe it as "flabbiness". I try not to be biased, but his muscular built affected his moves, it looks more stiff and less fluid. Great jumper, but lacks lyricism. I tried to picture him softening his movement but the "chunkiness" (like Optimus Prime of the Transformers) gets in the way. I'll change my mind when he does develop the grace to go with his jumps.:p

A matter of taste/opinion -- but thx for elaborating, qwerty. :)
I am optimistic that the time will come when Max will change your mind. :yes:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
oh yes, almost forgot about Tara's teeny jumps (inches!) She won that skate with her sparks and fire, Michelle was just too cautious. Sort of like what just happened......

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
Not my cup of tea-

Tara Lipinski
Sasha Cohen
Mao Asada
Miki Ando
Johnny Weir
Hanyu Y.

and last but not least-

Adelina Whateverkova

moviechick

On the Ice
Evan Lysacek. Every time I hear him described as artistic, I barf a little. And dude needs to ease off on the tanning bed. Orange is not the new black. Also a douchebag.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Yuna. Lovely, soft, gentle skater with great jumps, but not a brilliant all-around skater who excites or moves me.

Plushenko. Too much preening and posturing and not enough choreography. But he grew on me during these Olympics. I do think he has a nice sense of humor and he is a ferocious competitor- admirable.

Adelina. I think she deserved the win, but I don't warm to her skating. Too angular.

Kevin Reynolds. Sloppy, dreadful carriage, terribly woebegone facial expressions.

Max Aaron. I LOVE his personality, drive, and determination, but his skating skills . . .

Machida. I admire him and he has nice line. But he doesn't have the it factor.

Surya Bonaly. Exciting but oh so stiff. and bad attitude.

T and M- pairs who won in 06. Skilled, yes, but oh so mechanical and boring. I actually love V & T, who often get compared to them, and I don't get the comparison. V & T have drama and passion.

Maria Butirskya Her stiff stiff legs and wildly waving arms!

Irina Slutskaya High jumps, great spins, nice energy, cute rosy cheeks. and everything else was weak.

Elvis. although I did like his uniqueness and his guts, and his martial arts themed programs.

Kinga

Medalist
Probably the hell will break loose when I mention this name here: Daisuke Takahashi. Some of his programs are really nice (Garden of Souls comes to my mind first), but for most I really cannot get into. OTT emoting and too excessive body movements do not help (I guess less is more sometimes). Additionally, his programs for two last seasons really do not stand out. As much as I did not manage to appreciate his earlier programs, I could see why others would, but two last seasons is just blah.

Florent Amodio - first I thought that it was only his personality that annoys me. But then I saw his LP live this year, and gawd, I could not believe how empty that was. The choreographic sequences (where he actually does something else than stroking), again, do not help, as OTT expression is very off putting. Sorry.

Mae B Meite - I am happy she found her athletic style (which suits her greatly), but she still needs A LOT of polishing. She looks awkward, clunky and rough at edges. It is not enough to pick rock music and think that however you skate to it, will look great. So even if her music choices suit her this season, it does not fly for me. But I love her powerful jumps. And I hope she will improve!

Kiira Korpi and Victoria Helgesson - they are very elegant, but somehow I feel all they programs look the same.

Others: Jenna McCorkell, Brian Joubert, Plushenko, Ilia Kulik (sorry, I do not get him).
Yuna is somewhere in between of 'not my cup of tea' and neutral feeling.

Helix

Rinkside
Ashley Wagner I don't see anything, her jumps aren't exciting her programs/choreography seems fake and forced she reminds me of Nancy Kerrigan in that way. I have never been into Kwan I was into the more fast and athletic skaters when she was around.

The rest who I am borderline are Chan, Kim, Davis & White, Gold and Osmond

moviechick

On the Ice
I have to say, after re-watching some 2002 Olympic stuff, Timothy Goebel. There's very few skaters that I think are really that artistically bad. They usually have some personality on the ice or their programs are tailored to them, but jfc, a 5.2 on the second mark would be generous to him. He's literally moving as fast as a snail on the ice.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say, after re-watching some 2002 Olympic stuff, Timothy Goebel. There's very few skaters that I think are really that artistically bad. They usually have some personality on the ice or their programs are tailored to them, but jfc, a 5.2 on the second mark would be generous to him. He's literally moving as fast as a snail on the ice.

Lol. I just watched his SP and I do not think there was one artistic gesture the entire skate. I also think its possible the sound was off of the video by two seconds but I'm not entirely sure about that to be honest. Not my cup of tea.

moviechick

On the Ice
Lol. I just watched his SP and I do not think there was one artistic gesture the entire skate. I also think its possible the sound was off of the video by two seconds but I'm not entirely sure about that to be honest. Not my cup of tea.

Wasn't he being choreographed by Lori Nichol too? I mean, I do cut skaters a lot of slack if they just have a poor choreographer to work with but I'm just like scratching my head over how someone could be that artistically challenged. And skating speed usually doesn't come through well on camera, but with Goebel, it's so incredibly obvious how slow he is.

It just makes the whole Scott Hamilton commentary that year even more hilarious. Good lord, Yagudin and Plushenko would've both had like a 3-4 fall cushion between them and Goebel.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Back in the day:

Laetetia Hubert

There was a kind of hostility in her skating.
?

LOL about Hubert. That is so on the nose. I'm STILL trying to figure out what her arm gestures mean in her Dead Can Dance program. I think she was signalling the alien Mother Ship to come take her home. Or to start the attack. LOL!

A partial list...

Plushy on the ice. But I applaud his support of LGBT rights in Russia, and his fierce competitiveness. Just don't make me watch him showboat (again) (again) (again) (ad nauseum).

Florent Amodio (just xerox the last performance and send it in--no one will notice the difference)

Hanyu. He's like a wind-up marionnette whose strings have been cut

Jeremy Abbott's Million And One Excuses (It's just one, dear: nerves)

Katarina Witt (Posing as a hooker in the skating equivalent of a g-string is not choreography)

Elvis Stjoko (or as I like to call him, Mr. Overcompensation. I know some drag queens he should meet.)

I/K (love the drama, but not the self-entitled vibe)

All the Russian baby ballerinas. Maybe in a few years I'll change my mind, but for now. Meh.

badknees

Medalist
Caydee. She' skates heavy. How far could John have gone if he stayed with Caitlin Yankowskas. Oh I wish she could find a partner.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i like torvill and dean a lot but goddamn bolero is the most overrated program i've ever seen. i just don't GET it, on like any level. he literally does not get up off his knees for like a full FIFTY SECONDS. and it's unfair for me to damn skaters from another generation for not having the technical difficulty of this generation, but the fact that juniors today have harder lifts and footwork sequences just really does not make the program age well in my eyes.

BlackPack

Medalist
i like torvill and dean a lot but goddamn bolero is the most overrated program i've ever seen. i just don't GET it, on like any level. he literally does not get up off his knees for like a full FIFTY SECONDS. and it's unfair for me to damn skaters from another generation for not having the technical difficulty of this generation, but the fact that juniors today have harder lifts and footwork sequences just really does not make the program age well in my eyes.

When did you first see Bolero? Because *when* is important. I first saw it in the 90s. At the time, it was still extraordinary. Of course, if you're used to today's complexity in ice dancing, Bolero is no longer impressive. But without Bolero, there's no foundation for the skaters today to build on. When I first saw it, I was fascinated by how meaningfully each movement expressed the subtleties and crescendos of the music. The way they acted, it was truly theater on ice. Many of the programs today don't have the same emotional impact of when I first saw Bolero.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
When did you first see Bolero? Because *when* is important. I first saw it in the 90s. At the time, it was still extraordinary. Of course, if you're used to today's complexity in ice dancing, Bolero is no longer impressive. But without Bolero, there's no foundation for the skaters today to build on. When I first saw it, I was fascinated by how meaningfully each movement expressed the subtleties and crescendos of the music. The way they acted, it was truly theater on ice. Many of the programs today don't have the same emotional impact of when I first saw Bolero.

like, during the 1998 olympics? i'd never seen an ice dance performance before and they were replaying it on tv and my reaction was, '...that's it?'

i rewatched it like five seconds ago though, and i'm even more unimpressed. their pro careers were far more innovative and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.