Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaya View Post
    Patrick Chan for sure.

What an overrated skater, cannot handle the pressure.

The Canadian federation is very aggressive in pushing him through, I actually expected them to *complain* because he did not get Gold.

And he is the most overscored skater of our times.
    No that title should go to Kostner. She makes Chan look very clean compared to her bad skates and worse when she falls apart the wholeprogram falls apart and her stalkingof jumps look like she should be charged criiminally and tossed in jail

Custom Title
    Meite for some reason looks clunky and her muscles scare me - kind of like the william sisters - there is something awkward or aesthetically unpleasing about the look. I think Yuna is like Kwan they are perfection but in the end they just skate t whatever music in the same style and moves - perfect but rather perfunctory. Virtue and Moir despite their flaws had picked different characters and styles. Which is why i put Davis and white on this lilst too. Really and this is not an insult they are perfect disney chara\cters on ice.

Gracie Gold, for the aforementioned racist personality she exhibited. I spent five years of my childhood in suburbs of Chicago. There is plenty of opportunity to learn diversity there and eighteen is old enough to know better, really. She also moves like a truck driver and is ungraceful physically.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    No that title should go to Kostner. She makes Chan look very clean compared to her bad skates and worse when she falls apart the wholeprogram falls apart and her stalkingof jumps look like she should be charged criiminally and tossed in jail
    But at least she doesn't win multiple times with those kinds of performances. When she has a melt down, she is placed accordingly.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Polina has wonderful jumps and executes some other elements very well but I feel like she skates like a public skater in between those elements. Not my cup of tea but she has great potential and I wish her the best. I'm not good at talking down another skater. It just feels weird to me. Even though I disagree with CanadianSkaterGuy that post above is hilarious!!

Hard to understand Kostner or Chan not being someone's cup of tea. What superb skating skills and quality. Though can understand furstration when they don't skate up to their potential.

On the Ice
    Hopefully I don't get steamrolled, since this is my first post, but--I honestly am just not a huge fan of the common on-ice styles that are popular with a lot of the top singles skaters. I find many ladies tends to be fairly cutesy and/or princessy, and some of the men tend to do a smug smirky sort of persona? Maybe it's just me.

As for specific skaters that are really just not my thing:

Patrick Chan - this is mostly actually based on interviews and off-ice personality. I once saw a post-competition interview where he arrived at least 10 minutes late and just didn't seem to care? I get that there may have been a good reason, but incidents like that just really turned me off from trying harder to like him.

Evan Lysacek - I just find his skating kind of awkward. I watched his olympic gold FS and all I remember is his weird greasy-looking hair and really flaily arms.

Li Zijun - I know everyone thinks she's the second coming of Kim Yuna in China, and I think she seems like a really nice girl, but basically everything about her, including a lot of her routines, is super princessy.

Cheering Wildly from the stands
    Here's another thing that popped into my mind when thinking of the 'cup of tea'-ness of various skaters. Some people, myself included, find Chan hard to like because of his comments, not because of his skating. --But if you were a competitive skater at the top of your game, which would you rather hear from an opponent?
    A: I won because I'm the best...I lost, but I'm still the best, my opponents scores don't worry me etc... which is sort of what Chan tends to say
    OR
    B: I'd like to thank my rival, it was because of him that I was able to win today. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been able to progress so quickly and learn so much. --This is what Hanyu tends to say
    On thinking about this, I've come to the conclusion that for certain personalities, Hanyu's comments could be even more infuriating than Chan's.
    What do you think?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnychan View Post
    Hopefully I don't get steamrolled, since this is my first post, but--I honestly am just not a huge fan of the common on-ice styles that are popular with a lot of the top singles skaters. I find many ladies tends to be fairly cutesy and/or princessy, and some of the men tend to do a smug smirky sort of persona? Maybe it's just me.

As for specific skaters that are really just not my thing:

Patrick Chan - this is mostly actually based on interviews and off-ice personality. I once saw a post-competition interview where he arrived at least 10 minutes late and just didn't seem to care? I get that there may have been a good reason, but incidents like that just really turned me off from trying harder to like him.

Evan Lysacek - I just find his skating kind of awkward. I watched his olympic gold FS and all I remember is his weird greasy-looking hair and really flaily arms.

Li Zijun - I know everyone thinks she's the second coming of Kim Yuna in China, and I think she seems like a really nice girl, but basically everything about her, including a lot of her routines, is super princessy.
    Welcome to the forum! To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Osmond's pants on her dresses are very bothersome to me and completely distract from anything she puts on ice. Could she PLEASE find better elastic?
    What pants, all i saw was flesh-colored/trollup tights.

Custom Title
    Um.....Daisuke Takahashi and Jason Brown.

Custom Title
    Max Aron. I just feel ill when I watch him, too chunky?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    Max Aron. I just feel ill when I watch him, too chunky?
    Max too chunky??? I guess you mean too muscular? Sorry that he is not your cup of tea, but he is as fit as they come -- certainly not overweight.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Gracie Gold (Her presentation just has this "pageant Queen" feeling to it.)
    Ashely Wagner (Just can't get into her skating)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Max too chunky??? I guess you mean too muscular? Sorry that he is not your cup of tea, but he is as fit as they come -- certainly not overweight.
    He is built 100% of muscle, no doubt, otherwise I'd describe it as "flabbiness". I try not to be biased, but his muscular built affected his moves, it looks more stiff and less fluid. Great jumper, but lacks lyricism. I tried to picture him softening his movement but the "chunkiness" (like Optimus Prime of the Transformers) gets in the way. I'll change my mind when he does develop the grace to go with his jumps.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast