Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    I don't care much for Gold but that's probably because her personality seems a bit domineering and rude. Her jumps are great though.
    Never cared much for Flatt, but that wasn't ever an unpopular opinion. I liked her personality, but her skating left something to be desired. I was sad for her after the disaster at Nationals though.
    On the edge about Wagner - I like her fire, but I always feel like there's something missing in her programs.
    Even though Kerrigan was before my time, even today I don't feel all the hype that was about her.
    Didn't like Samuelson/Bates as a partnership. I'm happy they split and he went with Chock, I much prefer her style though I dislike the heart stickers on her skates.
    Bobrova/Soloviev bore me. Just dislike them altogether - I thought they weren't fifth-place worthy. I even prefered Cappellini/Lanotte or Weaver/Poje over them and I'm not a huge fan of either team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlightSkater View Post
    This!

I told my husband during the Olympics that Chan was an amazing skater, but even though he is technically very good and moves artistically, I found his artistry to be robotic. I never thought, before Chan, that you could have robotic artistry.

It looks like he's thinking "Okay, this is where my arm goes, now look soft. Check." I wish he would learn to extend beyond his movements. They all seem to have a very finite stopping point. I really want to like his skating, and sometimes I do, but often I just can't quite get there because it's just a tad short of where it could be.
    Exactly what I've been saying about him for years!

Custom Title
    1. Kustarova had a clue concerning B/S she just needed a stylist. Look at their work in 2010 and 2011 as well as their russian sailors dance.

2. Very few skaters bug me. I just don't watch. Sometimes S/S do that for me then I remember their worlds 2011 programs and their great World Juniors 2009 FD and go how can Marina not know what to do with them

Custom Title
    Sarah Hughes - intrinsically boring skater, except for her Olympic FS
    When she returned after her OGM, she was a slow, clunky, boring skater

Irina Slutskaya - I admired her guts and spirit, but oh, her horrid fake 'Bielmanns'

Emily Hughes - loathed her "ta da"s and her attitude of entitlement.

Cynthia Phaneuf - couldn't understand what all the buzz was about. Stalked and popped jumps, clumsy falls, bizarre costumes.

Alexander Majorov - not an ounce of artistry in this guy. Ugly jumps, and he doesn't land them all, either

Sergei Voronov - yawn inducing.

Patrick Chan - brilliant technician but his skating has no soul.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

Emily Hughes - loathed her "ta da"s and her attitude of entitlement.
    I hated her spiral with her chin nearly scraping the ice which was inevitably accompanied by Peggy gushing about the extension of her free leg. Get her back up and she would have had no extension. If you have to pitch that far forward to get it, you're doing it wrong!

Banned
    Sotnikova- She has impressive height to her jumps, but the rest of her skating and demeanor are clunky, inelegant and, at times, plain ugly.

Tuktamysheva- unreliable, ugly positions, always looks like she has a bad attitude

Tara Lipinski- impressive technically, but she looks like a chipmunk on ice...was never graceful but had some "fire" which compensated for her unappealing aesthetic

Evan Lysacek- one of the most boring Olympic champions to watch EVER, impressive technically but has no real connection with the music (arm flailing and high kicks don't count)

Kanako Murakami- big jumps but there is something very workmanlike about her skating...unpolished

Banned
    Evan Lysacek- one of the most boring Olympic champions to watch EVER, impressive technically but has no real connection with the music (arm flailing and high kicks don't count)
    agreed. exhibit a of why a good body of work in figure skating is more important than a gold medal.

what's the cheeto even doing now anyway?

Medalist
    Since the talk is about Lysacek at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    The name means "little lollipop" in slavic languages.
    Nope. The surname is Czech, and is derived not from the root liz- which is lick, but from lys- which means bald. It has nothing to do with lollipop.The Wiki entry on Czech surnames lists this surname under 'Surnames derived from a bodily part or feature'. One thing you're right about, though, is that the surname is a diminutive form of Lysak. So, 'little bald fellow' would possibly be the closest translation.

On the Ice
    I am a very generous person and I would always like to focus on the strength of each skater. So there's only one person that I cannot stand.

Evgeni Plushenko

He tends to ignore the music for most part of the program, which is absolutely fine for me. But what I cannot stand is for some parts, he actually "over-performs", adding movements that are NOT proper interpretation of the music AT ALL. It's always OK for me when a skater ONLY focuses on the technical side of skating and skates like a robot but it's not OK when people make extremely inappropriate and affected movements. "Over-do" something many times is even worse than "under-perform".

On the Ice
    Davis & White. They are great technically and I like their programs, so it took me a long time to figure out why I didn't like them. It is because esthetically they don't look good together. Her head is too big compared to his.
    Carolina Kostner. Not my cup of tea. I don't get her amazing speed and her programs in Sochi this year were pretentiously artistic. + sometimes it is good not to smile.
    Julia Lipnitskaia. Too childlike and in her case sometimes it would be good to smile. I have to admit she is kind of growing on me.
    Rachel Flatt. Can't pinpoint.
    Kiira Korpi. Too much noise over nothing. The other Finnish girl Laura Lepisto was much better.
    Ekaterina Bobrova. Bad posture and it is difficult, unless impossible to fix at this point. I like her partner.
    Ashley Wagner. I used to like her a lot. However, this year her skating didn't seem to be developing while everyone else upped their game for the Olys + her comments etc have started to annoy me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluver View Post
    Davis & White. They are great technically and I like their programs, so it took me a long time to figure out why I didn't like them. It is because esthetically they don't look good together. Her head is too big compared to his.
    I had kind of the same reaction, even though obviously it's shallow. But in terms of pairs/ice dance, the chemistry of the partners is a big deal and I just don't see any there in D/W. He looks really child-like with his giant blond fluff and her features are really severe and mature, almost like she's his mean stepmother rather than partner.

On the Ice
    I totally agree and I don't think it is shallow. In figure skating chemistry and esthetics play a big part, especially in Ice Dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    I had kind of the same reaction, even though obviously it's shallow. But in terms of pairs/ice dance, the chemistry of the partners is a big deal and I just don't see any there in D/W. He looks really child-like with his giant blond fluff and her features are really severe and mature, almost like she's his mean stepmother rather than partner.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluver View Post
    Carolina Kostner. Not my cup of tea. I don't get her amazing speed and her programs in Sochi this year were pretentiously artistic. + sometimes it is good not to smile.
    Julia Lipnitskaia. Too childlike and in her case sometimes it would be good to smile. I have to admit she is kind of growing on me.
    Rachel Flatt. Can't pinpoint.
    Kiira Korpi. Too much noise over nothing. The other Finnish girl Laura Lepisto was much better.
    Ekaterina Bobrova. Bad posture and it is difficult, unless impossible to fix at this point. I like her partner.
    Ashley Wagner. I used to like her a lot. However, this year her skating didn't seem to be developing while everyone else upped their game for the Olys + her comments etc have started to annoy me.

To me, Ashley Wagner's comments and personality have always been the best thing about her. I was so happy for her in 2012 with Black Swan but her personality > her skating any day.

Also, Adelina Sotnikova does nothing for me.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
    To me, Ashley Wagner's comments and personality have always been the best thing about her. I was so happy for her in 2012 with Black Swan but her personality > her skating any day.

Also, Adelina Sotnikova does nothing for me.
    I would agree that Ashley's comments are one of her best qualities but it does seem like she takes that edgy attitude on the ice with her. It's very polarizing IMO. So I could see how some people would say...meh. It would also help if she didn't think she was better than what she actually is. I'd expect her to finish 5-8 at worlds if all go clean. Odds of that Don't get me wrong I think she is fantastic and full of life on the ice but to me maybe she just channels it wrong at times. Just my opinion.

Custom Title
    Was gratified to read the comments about Evan. My 'distaste' for him came originally based on his arrogant manner. Then his comments about Johnny Weir, I thought were unprofessional and uncalled for. But I realized I just didn't care for his skating. Someone upthread mentioned his flailing arms and that always bugged me. I was glad he won the OGM for the US but could not warm up to him.

Perhaps I'm blind but I've never understood people that panned Patrick for not connecting with his music. I think he has a great connection with his music and I see nothing robotic about him. I guess it's popular to criticize and hate him these days though. Too bad because he has done alot to erase the abject physicality of figure skating for men and introduce some grace and smoothness. Before Patrick it was too often all about the jumps (Plushenko, Stojko) and the music and choreography just seemed secondary sometimes.

I've also never cared for Kostner. Didn't like her Ave Maria OR her Bolero.

Different strokes and all that..........................

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast