Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Custom Title
    I can't say I'm a fan of Patrick Chan's style of Charmin soft and delicate 24/7. I will say, at least he does usually choose music that goes with that type of thing so it kinda does work for him most of the time but I'm just not into it at all. From dudes at least, I tend to prefer more power or at least more personality (a la Weir).

Rinkside
    Davis and White....I simply can't connect to their programs, ever.
    Michael Weiss
    Alexei Yagudin
    Rachel Flatt
    Amelie Lacoste

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    No one so far

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Davis and White = I feel flat.

Tripping on the Podium slutskayafann's Avatar
    Butyrskaya

Banned
    Ekaterina Bobrova. Bad posture and it is difficult, unless impossible to fix at this point. I like her partner.
    yo seriously, her posture drives me nuts. she's got the shoulders of a linebacker. can't she take princess lessons from julie andrews or something?

i have the same problem with madison hubbell. if they ever do notre dame de paris, she's gonna have to be quasimodo with that spine of hers

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    I had/have many skaters who are not my cup of tea. I don't "hate" or particurlarly disllike none of them though.
    So it's easy to list those who I loved most.

From the past:

Mishkutenok/Dmitriev
    Klimova / Ponomarenko
    Ilia Kulik
    Alexei Yagudin
    Michelle Kwan
    Grishuk - without Platov (I would've loved seen her further with her first partner Chickov.)

A special mention for Torvill&Dean and their Bolero, which made me fall in love with figure skating, although I don't think they were the best skaters.

From today's skaters:

V&M
    I&K
    Yuna (sometimes)
    Mao (sometimes)
    I think I'm going to love a lot Yulia, no matter how she skates.
    That girl rocks, she's so funny in her interviews that I simply adore her.
    I'm very disappointed with the men. Hanyu seems promising but we'll see, at the moment I absolutely have no fav.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I had/have many skaters who are not my cup of tea. I don't "hate" or particurlarly disllike none of them though.
    So it's easy to list those who I loved most.

From the past:

Mishkutenok/Dmitriev
    Klimova / Ponomarenko
    Ilia Kulik
    Alexei Yagudin
    Michelle Kwan
    Grishuk - without Platov (I would've loved seen her further with her first partner Chickov.)

A special mention for Torvill&Dean and their Bolero, which made me fall in love with figure skating, although I don't think they were the best skaters.

From today's skaters:

V&M
    I&K
    Yuna (sometimes)
    Mao (sometimes)
    I think I'm going to love a lot Yulia, no matter how she skates.
    That girl rocks, she's so funny in her interviews that I simply adore her.
    I'm very disappointed with the men. Hanyu seems promising but we'll see, at the moment I absolutely have no fav.
    i thought that was a list of skaters you didn't like, i was like damn you have no taste in anything...

i'm not on the i/k train though. i think she's very good but he's terrible. he's lucky he's kind of white boy good looking or he'd add nothing to the team.

Banned
    Im adding Yuna Kim to the list
    just because of her rabid fans/bots are a turn off

The HUGES sisters--hopefully no more or them pop up in the skating world.
    Patrick Chan--too much sour grapes attitude.
    A. Urmanov--something about him was annoying, both on and off ice.
    Plushenko

Custom Title
    I really found Evan boring, no heart and technically not that all great. I find Hanyu a bit immature and his artistry more put on than Chan. Brian Boitano really "bothered" me with his put on artistry - stares and all compared to the more organic or natural Orser and I found Scott Hamilton rathe meh especially by 1984 when school figures kept him on top. Tara Lipinski, Sara Hughes, Emily Hughes, Rachel Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold are all rather vanilla though good skaters. I don't hate any of these skaters but not particulary my favourite. I love d and w as people but I found their skating rather vanilla too though technically precise. I did find PHaneuf awkward and rather cumbersome.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    i thought that was a list of skaters you didn't like, i was like damn you have no taste in anything...

No, it's just that the list of NOT it could be very long.

i'm not on the i/k train though. i think she's very good but he's terrible. he's lucky he's kind of white boy good looking or he'd add nothing to the team.
    There is something about them that makes me love. The first time I saw them, I thought I like this couple.
    Yeah he's cute but I like him because he's got vivacità (it doesn't come to my mind in english, verve maybe?).
    I think he can improve and be very good, don't you think?

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    The HUGES sisters--hopefully no more or them pop up in the skating world.
    Patrick Chan--too much sour grapes attitude.
    A. Urmanov--something about him was annoying, both on and off ice.
    Plushenko
    I understand what you mean about Urmanov. Never saw any interviews, etc., but his on-ice persona always got on my nerves for some reason, even though there were things in his style that I appreciated. To this day, can't really explain what it was about him that bugged me...

And one more: Tara Lipinski. I've long since made my peace w/ her Nagano OGM but she was just so OTT cloyingly cute!

Banned
    Chan's skating doesnt do anything for me. No heart, emotion, or soul, doesnt feel the music through his fingertips, kind of sloppy positions and not very elegant or graceful, spins not very good, and jumps very inconsistent and kind of small. Yes he has skating skills and does quads, but the rest meh, and his joke scores and results done endure me (or many others) to him either.

Hanyu's skating I find immature and also lacking heart, emotion, and soul. The technical merit is impressive, and skating skills are very good too, but artistry not really there, and he is inconsistent as well. As with Chan many of his inflated scores are offensive as well, although he atleast doesnt have a controversial big event (grand prix final, Worlds, Olympics) medal yet.

Sotnikova I was never a fan of with the mishmash array of arm movements, ugly looking jumps, ugly looking spins with heavily controrted positions which travel alot, plain bad choreography, and oversold facial expressions. The Sochi scandal which harms and endangers the whole sport make me like her even less of course.

Bobrova is someone I was never a fan of. Her posture is horrible and akin to an old lady with a serious back problem who cant even stand up straight. Their twizzles and technically abilities are suspect at best, and most of their programs are awful too (although I liked their Mad program).

Megan Duhamel is someone I want to cheer for as she is such a sweetheart and a bubbly and energetic personality, and she clearly works hard and wants it badly. Her skating is a huge eyesore though. She is the epitome of a truck driver on ice, although she has some impressive technical capabilities which should be acknowledged and respected (and certainly are by the judges) but as far as enjoying watching her, no.

Banned
    Some from the past:

Lysacek- the definition of completely average and generic. The only thing extraordinary about him is his remarkable competitive abilities and determination to win, and also amazing luck and timing. I cant even really disagree with her World and Olympic titles too much, but simply amazing such a garden variety type skater could ever have a career like he had. Wow.

Butyrskaya- I had a soft spot for her due to her determination and overachieving. She has to be by far the least talented skater to ever win a major title. However she wasnt a natural in any aspect of skating. Jumps were all hard fought and landed with a huge swining free leg usually. Spins, spirals, and other elements were always weak. Artistry was stilted and clunky. The amazing thing is through sheer determination and hard work she made herself into a skater who could have done even more, for instance she could hae easily won the bronze at the 98 Olympics and won another World title in 2000, but on top of all those other weaknesses she suffered from a case of anxiety and nerves under pressure too.

Ilya Averbuhk- I found his skating vulgar and he was part of the worst era (98-2003) of ice dance judging in history.

Marizio Margalio- the guy had two left feet. I cant believe Barbara and Ottavio Cinquanta could drag him to a World title and Olympic medal.

Galit Chait- foot stambling, couldnt straighten free leg to save left, no basic skating skills at all, and mafia father bought their world medal.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast