Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Custom Title
    I agree about Evan and in part with Butyrskaya. But she did have a womanly maturity and sophitication about her. Her spins were fine. She had far more interesting qualities than say Kimmie Meissner, Sarah or Emily Hughes,

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Perhaps I'm blind but I've never understood people that panned Patrick for not connecting with his music. I think he has a great connection with his music and I see nothing robotic about him. I guess it's popular to criticize and hate him these days though. Too bad because he has done alot to erase the abject physicality of figure skating for men and introduce some grace and smoothness. Before Patrick it was too often all about the jumps (Plushenko, Stojko) and the music and choreography just seemed secondary sometimes.

I've also never cared for Kostner. Didn't like her Ave Maria OR her Bolero.

Different strokes and all that..........................
    I think Patrick connects intellectually very well with the music. I don't know that he feels it, though, and certainly not in every performance.

I loved Carolina's "Ave," but I, too, don't particularly like her "Bolero," though she skated it well. I will say she is the best attempt at Bolero since Torvill and Dean.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Was gratified to read the comments about Evan. My 'distaste' for him came originally based on his arrogant manner. Then his comments about Johnny Weir, I thought were unprofessional and uncalled for. But I realized I just didn't care for his skating. Someone upthread mentioned his flailing arms and that always bugged me. I was glad he won the OGM for the US but could not warm up to him.

Perhaps I'm blind but I've never understood people that panned Patrick for not connecting with his music. I think he has a great connection with his music and I see nothing robotic about him. I guess it's popular to criticize and hate him these days though. Too bad because he has done alot to erase the abject physicality of figure skating for men and introduce some grace and smoothness. Before Patrick it was too often all about the jumps (Plushenko, Stojko) and the music and choreography just seemed secondary sometimes.

I've also never cared for Kostner. Didn't like her Ave Maria OR her Bolero.

Different strokes and all that..........................
    I can't agree more with your comments on Patrick. I used to be a Chan hater for the last three years. until recently I realized how artistically amazing he actually is. You just have to watch him with a very calm mindset in a quiet environment.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlightSkater View Post
    I think Patrick connects intellectually very well with the music. I don't know that he feels it, though, and certainly not in every performance.

I loved Carolina's "Ave," but I, too, don't particularly like her "Bolero," though she skated it well. I will say she is the best attempt at Bolero since Torvill and Dean.
    Hearing "Ave" @ the beginning of a program normally makes me cringe, but Carolina's rendition knocked my socks off.

Your comment re: Chan's intellectual connection to the music is interesting. Can you elaborate a little?

Custom Title
    Whoever explained Chan's artistry as "and now my arm goes here" is exactly how I feel too. It feels very calculated.

Banned
    speaking of teams whose aesthetics don't match - chock and bates. she's a much more dynamic and interesting skater than he is, but she's also about a million times more attractive facially than he is. he looks like the mouthbreather who used to sit behind me in algebra and who kept trying to show everyone his pokemon cards

Custom Title
    Surya Bonaly ... except for her back flip which she landed on one foot, right in front of the judges at the 1998 Olympics as an "eff you" to them for slamming her her entire career. THAT is bad***.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't exactly call it artistic but Patrick's skating skill is amazing indeed. Even to my untrained eyes, the quality of edges, speed, command on the ice are amazing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I agree about Evan and in part with Butyrskaya. But she did have a womanly maturity and sophitication about her. Her spins were fine. She had far more interesting qualities than say Kimmie Meissner, Sarah or Emily Hughes,
    Sarah had very good basic skating, edges, stroking, spirals, and spins though which you cant really say about Maria. She was also a far more consistent jumper, even if Maria's technique was better and she got more height, Sarah could crank those jumps around and had a natural sense of timing unlike Maria who couldnt control her jumps when she was at all nervous.

Kimmie was a flash in the pan who took advantage of the small window she could crank around those cheated 3-3s which werent called, and then coast on her rep as new World Champion with grossly inflated PCS for a couple years, then once that phase passed predictably retired.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    speaking of teams whose aesthetics don't match - chock and bates. she's a much more dynamic and interesting skater than he is, but she's also about a million times more attractive facially than he is. he looks like the mouthbreather who used to sit behind me in algebra and who kept trying to show everyone his pokemon cards
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many think Scott Moir is good-looking, but to my eyes, he is repulsive, with his long nose, receding chin and frequently fake smiles. Ugh! And he has the unpleasant personality to go with his looks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many think Scott Moir is good-looking, but to my eyes, he is repulsive, with his long nose, receding chin and frequently fake smiles. Ugh! And he has the unpleasant personality to go with his looks.
    Scott Moir is not attractive by any means at all
    attractive men would be Andrew Poje, Nikita Katsalapov,

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Whoever explained Chan's artistry as "and now my arm goes here" is exactly how I feel too. It feels very calculated.
    It's choreography, of course it will look somewhat calculated. While he's not as emotionally involved as other skaters and goes for histrionics on his face, I think he creates artistry with his body and movements, which is much harder as well as much more important to qualifying the artistic aspect of the sport. I don't think skating should be dramatics on ice, and for example appreciated skaters/ice dancers who create lines and visual artistry rather than contrived faces. I think intellectually involved is the perfect way to describe Chan's artistry... he's focused on presenting the technical aspects of skating in the most aesthetically pleasing way. To him, artistry is in the skating and the skater's body, and not in the face... which makes sense, since most people can't see a skater's face in the detail that the judges can.

Custom Title
    Lbr, I/K are really the only Hollywood level attractive ice dance team.

Everyone else is varying levels of basic/plain.

Custom Title
    Many think Scott Moir is good-looking, but to my eyes, he is repulsive, with his long nose, receding chin and frequently fake smiles. Ugh! And he has the unpleasant personality to go with his looks.
    Yes, and he has that whiny nasal voice to boot. But being with Tessa makes him more attractive on the ice, IMO.

I have tremendous respect for what all skaters do, but sometimes you just don't connect to them, for various reasons. Here are mine from the past 4 or 5 years:

- Davis & White - something about them rubs me the wrong way, and I don't like the way they "hop" into their twizzles
    - Miki Ando - she seems like a sweet person, but aside from her jumps, I could never get into her programs
    - Evan Lysacek - for the reasons stated upthread
    - Patrick Chan - for the reasons stated upthread
    - Kanako Murakami - it must be the donkey kick
    - Max Aaron - great jumper, but that's about it
    - Alena Leonova - she's got spirit but never looks like she has it quite together

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    scott's goofy looking as hell, only a blind person would argue he's the looker in the team between him and tessa. but he's also a much better skater than evan will ever be. so i guess evan being so much less attractive than madison wouldn't bother me if he were a better skater

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast