Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Custom Title
    Emily Hughes, with that "look at me!" cheerleader look and thunder thighs. Sarah is unlikeable too but she at least had glimpses of good skating, I liked her Bayadere routine.

Most of too-perfectly-packaged American ladies with their dentist-approved smiles. They all look the same.

Whoever has a look of constipation during a spiral, you can make faces during jumps or spins, people understand, but a spiral is a money move, better look pretty.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It's choreography, of course it will look somewhat calculated. While he's not as emotionally involved as other skaters and goes for histrionics on his face, I think he creates artistry with his body and movements, which is much harder as well as much more important to qualifying the artistic aspect of the sport. I don't think skating should be dramatics on ice, and for example appreciated skaters/ice dancers who create lines and visual artistry rather than contrived faces. I think intellectually involved is the perfect way to describe Chan's artistry... he's focused on presenting the technical aspects of skating in the most aesthetically pleasing way. To him, artistry is in the skating and the skater's body, and not in the face... which makes sense, since most people can't see a skater's face in the detail that the judges can.
    I'm not looking for anyone to be like Actressing all over the ice but I think putting on a performance face is a reasonable request. With Chan in particular, his sad/disappointed facial expressions after he falls or makes mistakes for the rest of the program becomes a big distraction for me. I know it's not an acting competition but a little doesn't hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Lbr, I/K are really the only Hollywood level attractive ice dance team.

Everyone else is varying levels of basic/plain.
    elena is stunning but nikita's so white bread looking and totally devoid of any charisma to speak of

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    elena is stunning but nikita's so white bread looking and totally devoid of any charisma to speak of
    Well that is Hollywood most of the time. Hot actress gets paired with generically attractive white guy.

Custom Title
    Lbr, I/K are really the only Hollywood level attractive ice dance team.

Everyone else is varying levels of basic/plain.
    I have to disagree with your last sentence. There are very few plain-looking ice dancers to my eye, and certainly both Tessa and Meryl are stunning. Their respective partners are good-looking to me, though I admit that this is a subjective reaction. And Andrew Poje is quite handsome. Those are the ones I can think of at the moment to refute your statement.

Custom Title
    Well that is Hollywood most of the time. Hot actress gets paired with generically attractive white guy.
    To suggest Nikita is more Hollywood than Andrew Poje is hilarious (although an opinion you're entitled to). I find Elena attractive but calling them Hollywood-level attractive is as hilarious as suggesting Gracie Gold is more Hollywood-esque than many of the female skaters.

Banned
    andrew poje looks just like dermot mulroney circa my best friends wedding

that dude probably gets panties thrown at him whenever he walks outside, kaitlyn is lucky as hell

having seen some of these skaters in real life, he is by far the best looking of the guys and tessa is by far the best looking of the girls

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    To suggest Nikita is more Hollywood than Andrew Poje is hilarious (although an opinion you're entitled to). I find Elena attractive but calling them Hollywood-level attractive is as hilarious as suggesting Gracie Gold is more Hollywood-esque than many of the female skaters.
    I said they're the only TEAM who look Hollywood attractive. Sorry but Weaver is like a comedic character actress at best.

Nikita would at least be like your Andrew Garfield type to Elena's Mila Kunis. I can think of like 5 successful actresses she looks like (http://hotolympicgirls.com/2014/02/2...na_ilinykh_06/)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many think Scott Moir is good-looking ..
    Agree re the eye of the beholder. And yes, Moir is very good-looking to me. His strong nose only makes him more handsome.
    (BTW, for those who have never paid attention to a profile photo of the Team Canton dancer with blond, curly hair: his nose is very similar to Moir's. They both are attractive guys with great personalities. And they both are terrific skaters. )

Last but not least: I hope no one ever starts another thread as mean-spirited as this one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Agree re the eye of the beholder. And yes, Moir is very good-looking to me. His strong nose only makes him more handsome.
    (BTW, for those who have never paid attention to a profile photo of the Team Canton dancer with blond, curly hair: his nose is very similar to Moir's. They both are attractive guys with great personalities. And they both are terrific skaters. )

Last but not least: I hope no one ever starts another thread as mean-spirited as this one.
    charlie's nose is kind of on the big side but i'm pretty sure scott could pick up satellite signals with that schnoz of his

neither of them are ugly though

Banned
    attractive hollywood type beauties: can be hollywood marketable

Gracie Gold
    Elena Ilinykh
    Andrew Poje
    Tessa Virtue
    Nikita Katsalapov
    Kiira Korpi
    Carolina Kostner
    Maxim Trankov
    Meryl Davis

done

Banned
    Maxim Trankov
    that is the most ridiculous thing you've ever said

and with your posts, that's a high bar of ridiculous things

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    that is the most ridiculous thing you've ever said

and with your posts, that's a high bar of ridiculous things
    someone mentioned looks right ?
    looks are part of being marketable

Custom Title
    If Trankov cleaned up a bit, he'd look like Dan Stevens but it's not like he's a huge star anyways.

I think we're assuming they have no talent and would have to become famous purely on looks so that would pretty much narrow the list considerably to your Megan Fox and Jessica Alba types.

Custom Title
    @ Trankov

Hollywood isn't just about marketable looks. Although sky_fly's perception of what constitutes a Hollywood type is hilarious anyways. Hollywood is about exuding a maturity and also a level of interest and appeal to the masses. It's also about having a unique personality and not just about being pretty and some perfect Barbie doll -- that's why you don't see every Miss America winner in Hollywood.

Gold is still a teen girl... right now, she's barely Disney Channel - MTV at best - and not even close to being 'Hollywood'.

There's a reason Wagner was photographed and interviewed on the red carpet while Gold was at some airweave pre-Oscar lounge.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast