Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb

Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi :no:, I know she is very beautiful and a wonderful person, but her skating is not my cup of tea

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gee sky-fly20....do you like anyone?

there are legends that should be respected regardless if you like them or not:
names we must give tribute for making an impact of the sport

Davis/White
Volosozhar / Trankov
Dorothy Hamil
the Propotovs
Brezhenya / Sikhuralidze
Mishkutenok / Dmitriev
Midori Ito
Evgeni Plushenko
Gorshkov / Pakhomova
Klimova / Ponomarenko

we now have special talented youngsters recently
Gracie Gold
Julia Lipnitskaya
Yuzuru Hanyu

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
there are legends that should be respected regardless if you like them or not:
names we must give tribute for making an impact of the sport

Davis/White
Volosozhar / Trankov
Dorothy Hamil
the Propotovs
Brezhenya / Sikhuralidze
Mishkutenok / Dmitriev
Midori Ito

we now have special talented youngsters recently
Gracie Gold
Julia Lipnitskaya
Yuzuru Hanyu

So to answer your question noskates, Sky_fly likes Julia, Gracie and Yuzuru...and while he/she respects skaters like D/W, V/T, Hamil, etc., he/she doesn't necessarily like them. :eek:hwell:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Han Yan-I don't like his style and after a few minutes of jumping it is boring for me
Duhamel/Radford
Bobrova/Soloviev

So, I am supposed to list all the skaters I don't like? :laugh: After Wolfgang Schwarz my list starts to get short. ;)

Here is a better question. Is there any skater that absolutely everyone likes, and no one ever has a cross word for? Midori Ito?

desertskates

Medalist
Ok, yeah, Mathman's idea is a better conversation starter.
Kristi Yamaguchi. And definitely Queen Michelle.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So to answer your question noskates, Sky_fly likes Julia, Gracie and Yuzuru...and while he/she respects skaters like D/W, V/T, Hamil, etc., he/she doesn't necessarily like them. :eek:hwell:

like I said the names listed are the real legends who have made an impact to the sport
some people are too blind to see the double twists of Gordeeva / Grinkov, Yagudin, the low technicalities of Torvil/Dean and the likes

legends like the Propotovs, Dorothy Hamil, Plushenko etc. are what separates from real legends
of the current crop only Davis / White and Volosozhar / Trankov are worthy of that, athleticism, speed, power, big elements
although I think Mao and Yuna might become legends in the future

miki88

Medalist
So, I am supposed to list all the skaters I don't like? :laugh: After Wolfgang Schwarz my list starts to get short. ;)

Here is a better question. Is there any skater that absolutely everyone likes, and no one ever has a cross word for? Midori Ito?

Janet Lynn? Skaters of the distant past when we are more likely to remember the good things about their skating than nitpick on their flaws. ;)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well I can't answer this question because I don't like Tea.

miki88

Medalist
Ok, yeah, Mathman's idea is a better conversation starter.
Kristi Yamaguchi. And definitely Queen Michelle.

I beg to differ. I never found Kristi's skating to be that exciting or special, especially when she was competing. She was pretty 'meh'. I love Michelle but she has her fair share of critics on skating forums.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yamaguchi was one of the most bland and forgettable skater imo,
so forgettable I forgot to add her on my "not cup of tea" list

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight

I don't think so, actually. Yamaguchi was called boring and bland by a lot of people. Even Kwan wasn't liked by everyone. She was criticized for her empty choreography, and later on her failure to "push the envelope" technically, among other things. I remember comments from her time saying, "I wish she would retire; I'm so tired of her."

Midori Ito was before my time as a fan, but wasn't she criticized for lack of artistry or something?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I can't answer this question because I don't like Tea.
This made my day!! Thank you.

Janet Lynn? Skaters of the distant past when we are more likely to remember the good things about their skating than nitpick on their flaws. ;)
Is this because video replay didnt tear apart otherwise visually pleasing programs.

I didn't see anything except praise for Matthew Parr!

How could anyone not love Biellman?

I was too young for Surya Bonaly but i cant imagine people talking bad about her. I've always had the impression people were pulling for her.

Watch this video if your looking for a positive way to spend your off day.
http://youtu.be/NycQ9fw-kBU

Barb

Record Breaker
I beg to differ. I never found Kristi's skating to be that exciting or special, especially when she was competing. She was pretty 'meh'. I love Michelle but she has her fair share of critics on skating forums.

Mirai is very popular with almost everyone.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
V/T, mainly for their programs.
D/R, mainly because I'm missing the chemistry between them.
I/K for the "I can't put my finger on it" reason.
Jeremy Abbott, same as I/K.
Maxim Kovtun, because his jumping technique bothers me (although that rarely happens).
Gracie Gold, though it's not her skating but her twitter account that got me "meh" on her.

psychotropek

Rinkside
For some reason I didn't like Michelle Kwan's skating back in the day. I don't remember why. I guess I wanted to see if she could do anything not classically feminine at the time? I don't know why I wanted that from her (and didn't seem to desire it so much from her competitors). She probably did, but I didn't see it (if you have a link I'd love to see that).

You know what I'd like to see? Programs for skaters that were not their usual style (exhibitions count). Any good examples there?

gimble

On the Ice
Kovtun. At least what I've seen of him so far (Russian National and Euro).
Another figure-skating fan friend and I watched his Russian National skate together and he commented that his program felt so long. That was my sentiment exactly. Maybe he will develop something to captivate my attention...

Status
Not open for further replies.