Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, doesn't that mean he can see double? o_O Are you sure about this, or is this some kind of speculation?

I don't know how it affects Patrick's vision. This is "some kind of speculation," based on observation.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wait, doesn't that mean he can see double? o_O Are you sure about this, or is this some kind of speculation?

It is true and he demonstrated it in a hilarious video show with Kurt Browning in answering a fan's question about something weird about themselves. He used to sit in a chair to get spun around and around before getting on the ice to train.

Amei

Record Breaker
I never quite understood the hype over Sasha Cohen.

I loved to watch Sasha she had great extension and learned to express music very well - but I was always waiting for the shoe to drop because she rarely could be clean for the whole competition.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I loved to watch Sasha she had great extension and learned to express music very well - but I was always waiting for the shoe to drop because she rarely could be clean for the whole competition.
Her greatest downfall was her consistency, or lack of it. She will always be golden for me though :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenko
Abbott
Reynolds
Liebers (his posture I find distracting)
Amodio
Tuktamysheva
Nagasu
Ando
Miyahara
Bobrova/Soloviev
Cappelini/Lanotte
Bazarova/Larionov
Volosozhar/Trankov (not them, so much as their programs)

I will say that the above skaters are all very talented in their own ways, but many just don't do it for me.

Why am I not surprised sky_fly has by far the biggest list on here. :laugh:

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Pairs: V/T (BORING) , D/R (obvious they try way too hard...and kind of dorky)
Dance: most teams (don't like the discipline as a whole) but I enjoyed all the Olympic medalists & every once in awhile another team will have a truly enjoyable performance. Who I like best changes with the season.
Men: Plushenko
Women: Kostner (though I loved her Ave Maria SP during Team Event), Yulia, Gracie Gold (more flappy arms)

I really like figure skating so I enjoy most teams/skaters to be honest. I don't always get the hype behind some of them or feel others are overmarked but I still enjoy watching them. Don't know if positivity is allowed here. :slink:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would agree about D/R, Fruit Loops. They do seem very try-hard to me and gritting out the elements instead of looking effortless. They probably wouldn't be my cup of tea if not for having the highest difficulty of all pairs, which is really commendable.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Agree; was about to say more or less the same thing. I loved watching her, too, but that "waiting for the shoe to drop" thing used to do really bad things to my nerves. But, oh, that gorgeous spiral!

Zamboni

On the Ice
Her greatest downfall was her consistency, or lack of it. She will always be golden for me though :)

She had many gorgeous short programs, but she always seemed to lose concentration in the long. It wasn't even if she would fall, but when. She even fell on a spin once at Worlds. Oh, Sasha.

CocoChanel

Rinkside
Elvis Stoyko was never my cup of tea :/

ed. to add: Also that pair skating team- can't remember their names but I think the guy was a truck driver and the girl was a waitress? :rolleye:

rain

Record Breaker
Interesting thread. There have certainly been skaters over the years whose merits I could objectively acknowledge, but who never did a thing for me. They include:

Plushenko
Grishuk/Platov
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Shen/Zhou
Arakawa
Sarah Hughes
right now: Jason Brown - his popularity totally baffles me
Yuzuru Hanyu - there's still time for this though. I didn't enjoy Ilia Kulik until I saw him as a pro, then he took my breath away.
Irina Slutskaya
Jennifer Robinson

rain

Record Breaker

Good one. I'd forgotten about her...which I guess says it all. Even some skaters who aren't my favourites (Davis/White) have produced moments or programs that won my admiration/affection. Ando? I can't for the life of me remember a single one of her programs.

Andy

Rinkside
Yuna, I just don't get what everyone loves about her. Her layback is ugly and she telegraphs her jumps.

Trewyn

Medalist
Interesting.. in a way...
Ladies: Yuna (nobody can dispute her talent, and she might become a two-time Olympic champ tomorrow, so a legend for sure.. but not my cup of tea), Gracie, Alena Leonova, Julia (I think she's just in the right place at the right time... Wonder how she's going to land those small jumps after puberty monster)

Men: Florent, Max, Kevin Reynolds

ahy

Final Flight
sometimes i don't why we have to dislike a skater...every skater works very hard to fight for their dreams...

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Interesting.. in a way...
Ladies: Yuna (nobody can dispute her talent, and she might become a two-time Olympic champ tomorrow, so a legend for sure.. but not my cup of tea), Gracie, Alena Leonova, Julia (I think she's just in the right place at the right time... Wonder how she's going to land those small jumps after puberty monster)

Men: Florent, Max, Kevin Reynolds

She doesn't have to. She could go the Lipinski route and cash out after the OGM. I hope she doesn't though.

All siblings pairs or dance team belong in the cup that isn't my tea.

WinterLily

Rinkside
Good one. I'd forgotten about her...which I guess says it all. Even some skaters who aren't my favourites (Davis/White) have produced moments or programs that won my admiration/affection. Ando? I can't for the life of me remember a single one of her programs.

:agree: exactly. plus she always had ugly costumes (too many rhinestones, too many shiny things....too much)

Status
Not open for further replies.