Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    There is a difference between actively disliking someone and saying you don't really get into watching a certain skater. I think that people on the boards often don't grasp that and then the flame wars over "haters" start.

Personally, I don't feel connected with Chan, Lipnitskaia, Wagner, and Machida but they're all obviously fantastic skaters nonetheless

Osmond's pants on her dresses are very bothersome to me and completely distract from anything she puts on ice. Could she PLEASE find better elastic?

Chan, Chan, always Chan. I have tried so hard to like his skating but I just can't.

On the Ice
    Lipnitskaya/Sotnikova. They just don't do anything for me. They seem to go through the moves

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Osmond's pants on her dresses are very bothersome to me and completely distract from anything she puts on ice. Could she PLEASE find better elastic?
    Although, I understood that someone ACTUALLY sewed her dress to her tights today! YAY!

On the Ice
    I'm probably the only one, but Gracie Gold. She's a beautiful skater, but I feel like her success is based on the fact that she's the "perfect American sweetheart" with her looks and personality. I've never felt emotion while watching her performances.

Javier Fernandez too. Boring.

Custom Title
    Nah...you're not the only one (re: Gracie). I just don't "get" the adoration of her skating - it's cold, her long arms windmill too much (altho' thank goodness Lori tamed that w/ the new SP) & there's just something about her that comes across (to me) as icy. Now Javier was really an attractive skater prior to being coached by Orser; he now skates just like Brian did back in the day & it really bugs me. I also don't understand the awe of Yuna Kim & Mao Asada. They skate with no expression on their faces (Yuna especially comes across robotic to me). Last but not least, Jeremy Abbott (beautiful skating skills but the implosions during performance and verbal really are OTT and annoying). I'm glad I have a very long list of skaters (current and retired) whom I love(d) watching compete!

Quote Originally Posted by ericka141 View Post
    I'm probably the only one, but Gracie Gold. She's a beautiful skater, but I feel like her success is based on the fact that she's the "perfect American sweetheart" with her looks and personality. I've never felt emotion while watching her performances.

Javier Fernandez too. Boring.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    OMG I'm laughing. I was texting with my friend during the team competition and I said "I've seen more of Osmond's butt than I ever wanted to!" I don't think it's elastic, I think they're just too small!

Against all odds and most of the posters here - I like Patrick Chan. I guess I don't think anything has come out of his mouth that's been worse than a favorite Russian skater. I love his skating and quite frankly don't care what he says. I do believe he revolutionized men's skating where you could be extremely athletic as well as graceful and do beautiful choreography. His job is to skate - not give good interviews and often I think he's nervous when he answers questions or just doesn't think. He certainly isn't the only figure skater with that problem. But - when you're on the top for so long it just gives people a clear target.

Custom Title
    I think Chan crossed the line of naive/stupid when he said he would rather skate for China cause he thought they'd be nicer to him than Canada and then he "didn't know" they had human rights issues. Like dude, just no. lol.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I would agree about D/R, Fruit Loops. They do seem very try-hard to me and gritting out the elements instead of looking effortless. They probably wouldn't be my cup of tea if not for having the highest difficulty of all pairs, which is really commendable.
    I do commend them for that too! And as a biased Canadian fan I do root for them to do well. They're just not my cup o'tea. I much prefer M-T/M.

Custom Title
    Costner. She is simply annoying. Reminds me of an elephant.
    Yuna is robotic and cold and has a diva attitude, but I can handle her. Usually going against her, but I acknowledge her accomplishments.
    Shibutanis are also annoying. Being siblings they will never achieve any success because of the obvious lack of chemistry between them.

I am into youth, energy and athleticism, not "art". This is sports. I can watch art elsewhere, but sports are supposed to be sports.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ericka141 View Post
    ...t I feel like her success is based on the fact that she's the "perfect American sweetheart" with her looks and personality.
    Why is it a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Yagudin- found his air position to be 'messy'
    Tim Geobel- ugly posture / shoulders
    Kostner- awkward spinning the other way, too long legs/body
    Lysacek- weird name, arm flailing
    Max Arron/Richard Dornbush- American forum posters hyping up their country's skaters
    Julia- Tara Lipinski had waaaay more emotions / joy
    Jeff Langdon- overhyped Canadian at Olympics
    Grishuk/Platov- I like Bourne and Kratz
    Akiko Suzuki- too short / short legs
    Florent Amodio- too much showboat to his 'fans'
    Nathan Chen- overhyped, Nam Nguyen / Shoma Uno are just as good
    Surya Bonaly- better suited for Gymnastics
    Tonia Kwiatkowski- too big / beefy

Commentator: Tom Hammond- annoying voice, captain obvious, rehashed catch phrases
    Weird name??? What does that have to do with his skating?

Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    I think Chan crossed the line of naive/stupid when he said he would rather skate for China cause he thought they'd be nicer to him than Canada and then he "didn't know" they had human rights issues. Like dude, just no. lol.
    Did he really say that?

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    Costner. She is simply annoying. Reminds me of an elephant.
    Yuna is robotic and cold and has a diva attitude, but I can handle her. Usually going against her, but I acknowledge her accomplishments.
    Shibutanis are also annoying. Being siblings they will never achieve any success because of the obvious lack of chemistry between them.

I am into youth, energy and athleticism, not "art". This is sports. I can watch art elsewhere, but sports are supposed to be sports.
    The Shibs have been third in the world and are Olympians. I think that is far more successful than at least 99% of skaters already. And they are not finished yet.

Custom Title
    “Sometimes I feel we are not appreciated for how much work we put in. If my parents hadn’t emigrated from China and, say, I had skated for China, things would have been very different. My parents wouldn’t have had to make as much sacrifices as they have and there would be a lot more respect for what we do as figure skaters.”

LOL. That's not how China works.

Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    “Sometimes I feel we are not appreciated for how much work we put in. If my parents hadn’t emigrated from China and, say, I had skated for China, things would have been very different. My parents wouldn’t have had to make as much sacrifices as they have and there would be a lot more respect for what we do as figure skaters.”

LOL. That's not how China works.
    I knew that Chan has said some strange things but I didn't know about that! Perhaps he thinks that because China gives free coaching that makes it better? Don't his parents know about human rights abuses in China? Why did they emigrate to a free country like Canada? OK, Patrick . . .

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast