Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melly

Rinkside
Urmanov. Never liked him. I think it was the "can't put a finger on it."

Grishuk/Platov. Like aquacandy, I liked Usova and Platov when they skated together.

will74lsn

Rinkside
kanako kurakami (preparation into the jumps oh my God!)
Plushenko (transitions?????)
Bobrova and the guy skating with her (posture, excessive crossovers)
Hanyu (no emotion, sloppy carriage)
Duhamel (but I like him :biggrin:)
Coomes (but I kile him :biggrin:)

Past skaters:
Debi Thomas (so stiff....:eek:hwell:)
Petrenko (30s preparation for 3A..really???)

...and many more :laugh:

nycskate2014

Rinkside
Not my cup of tea

Ashley Wagner - all sizzle, no steak
Gracie Gold - meh
Sarah Hughes - never understood this one
Nancy Kerrigan - I not see her perform in person, but on videos I say why, I sorry what happened to her but why she so big deal
Johnny Weir - not a good
Nicole Bobek - Vulgar
Tara Lipinski - little girl, like a elf, not a good
Pash Grishuk - vulgar, not very nice
Paul Wylie - I understand he good, but very boring
jamie sale and david pelletier - meh

louisa05

Final Flight
Gold lives in LA, not Alabama though.

Yeah...and I didn't teach anywhere near Alabama. I've been to Alabama. Please do not insult me by implying that I live there. :eek:

Honestly, my nephew who was in Alabama from ages 5 to 17, had greater exposure to diversity than his classmates here in the suburban Midwest. Gracie spent her growing up years in the suburban Midwest as well. She's been in L.A. for about five months.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan for sure.

What an overrated skater, cannot handle the pressure.

The Canadian federation is very aggressive in pushing him through, I actually expected them to *complain* because he did not get Gold.

And he is the most overscored skater of our times.

No that title should go to Kostner. She makes Chan look very clean compared to her bad skates and worse when she falls apart the wholeprogram falls apart and her stalkingof jumps look like she should be charged criiminally and tossed in jail

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Meite for some reason looks clunky and her muscles scare me - kind of like the william sisters - there is something awkward or aesthetically unpleasing about the look. I think Yuna is like Kwan they are perfection but in the end they just skate t whatever music in the same style and moves - perfect but rather perfunctory. Virtue and Moir despite their flaws had picked different characters and styles. Which is why i put Davis and white on this lilst too. Really and this is not an insult they are perfect disney chara\cters on ice.

hurrah

Medalist
Gracie Gold, for the aforementioned racist personality she exhibited. I spent five years of my childhood in suburbs of Chicago. There is plenty of opportunity to learn diversity there and eighteen is old enough to know better, really. She also moves like a truck driver and is ungraceful physically.

moviechick

On the Ice
No that title should go to Kostner. She makes Chan look very clean compared to her bad skates and worse when she falls apart the wholeprogram falls apart and her stalkingof jumps look like she should be charged criiminally and tossed in jail

But at least she doesn't win multiple times with those kinds of performances. When she has a melt down, she is placed accordingly.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina has wonderful jumps and executes some other elements very well but I feel like she skates like a public skater in between those elements. Not my cup of tea but she has great potential and I wish her the best. I'm not good at talking down another skater. It just feels weird to me. Even though I disagree with CanadianSkaterGuy that post above is hilarious!!

figuristka

Medalist
Hard to understand Kostner or Chan not being someone's cup of tea. What superb skating skills and quality. Though can understand furstration when they don't skate up to their potential.

bunnychan

Rinkside
Hopefully I don't get steamrolled, since this is my first post, but--I honestly am just not a huge fan of the common on-ice styles that are popular with a lot of the top singles skaters. I find many ladies tends to be fairly cutesy and/or princessy, and some of the men tend to do a smug smirky sort of persona? Maybe it's just me.

As for specific skaters that are really just not my thing:

Patrick Chan - this is mostly actually based on interviews and off-ice personality. I once saw a post-competition interview where he arrived at least 10 minutes late and just didn't seem to care? I get that there may have been a good reason, but incidents like that just really turned me off from trying harder to like him.

Evan Lysacek - I just find his skating kind of awkward. I watched his olympic gold FS and all I remember is his weird greasy-looking hair and really flaily arms.

Li Zijun - I know everyone thinks she's the second coming of Kim Yuna in China, and I think she seems like a really nice girl, but basically everything about her, including a lot of her routines, is super princessy.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully I don't get steamrolled, since this is my first post, but--I honestly am just not a huge fan of the common on-ice styles that are popular with a lot of the top singles skaters. I find many ladies tends to be fairly cutesy and/or princessy, and some of the men tend to do a smug smirky sort of persona? Maybe it's just me.

As for specific skaters that are really just not my thing:

Patrick Chan - this is mostly actually based on interviews and off-ice personality. I once saw a post-competition interview where he arrived at least 10 minutes late and just didn't seem to care? I get that there may have been a good reason, but incidents like that just really turned me off from trying harder to like him.

Evan Lysacek - I just find his skating kind of awkward. I watched his olympic gold FS and all I remember is his weird greasy-looking hair and really flaily arms.

Li Zijun - I know everyone thinks she's the second coming of Kim Yuna in China, and I think she seems like a really nice girl, but basically everything about her, including a lot of her routines, is super princessy.

Welcome to the forum! To each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.