Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    The Shibs have been third in the world and are Olympians. I think that is far more successful than at least 99% of skaters already. And they are not finished yet.
    Yes, and probably that's it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Lysacek- weird name,
    The name means "little lollipop" in slavic languages.

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    Yes, and probably that's it.
    Maybe. But still have accomplished more at this point than most skaters ever do.

I still think that they are adorable, though. Have you ever watched some of their videos? They are wonderful kids

http://www.youtube.com/user/shibsibs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    I still think that they are adorable, though. Have you ever watched some of their videos? They are wonderful kids
    [/url][/B]
    Hmmm, they are not kids anymore....
    They grew out of the "cuteness" factor already...

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    Hmmm, they are not kids anymore....
    They grew out of the "cuteness" factor already...
    No, they didn't. Maia looks younger than she is. They are cute.

But then the vast majority of figure skaters are very attractive. I can think of very few that aren't.

Custom Title
    Jenna and the Hegellson's

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    The sandwhich incident wasn't that bad (though certainly not good either), IMO. On the other hand, that time when she put on huge nerd glasses, put an oversized, bright pink bow into her hair, narrowed her eyes to slit eyes and put on a fake smile and a peace sign to call that her "Asian Face"... I'm not sure I'd flat out call it racist, but at least every asian person I know felt offended by that. I'm not going to call her a bad person or something, but it certainly made me like her less.
    I had no idea about either of these things. I just googled gracie gold and sandwich incident. Yes, what you describe she did is racist, she is an idiot. Hopefully she will learn and grow, but you wonder where she got this from. Family, friends, television? who knows. If she's 50 and still doing these things, there isn't much hope but at 18, I'll give her a chance.

Maé-Bérénice Méité after olympics i add to my list
    Brezina could be alot better if he went to a Canadian choregrapher such as David Wilson, Lori Nicol etc

Ulrich Salchow.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Yikes. That's a long time to dislike any and all pairs.
    (This in reply to my earlier post on this thread that I haven't really liked any pairs teams since B/S).

Yes. Yes it is a long time. But, I want passion or beautiful artistry or originality.... hopefully all three in once, but I need SOMETHJING special.

I was raised on the Protopopovs, Irina Rodnina, B/G, G/G, M/D.... all of them brought something really special, and pairs used to be my favorite discipline.

Now, I don't actively dislike any of the current crop (meaning the last 8 years or so!), it's just that I find something missing.

Despite more tricks and danger and definitely more activity... pairs has become boring because everyone looks the same.

For example, I have the same complaint about death spirals that I have about laybacks in the ladies events. We get plenty of different positions as pairs check off the boxes for additional levels, but none of them are particularly beautiful, and they all end up looking the same. I'd much rather see a spectacularly done classic version.

On the Ice
    Carolina Kostern, I don't understand why everybody is so crazy about her artistry and why she gets monstrious pcs everytime

Rinkside
    not my cup of tea…

LADIES
    irina slutskaya
    surya bonaly
    tara lipinski
    sarah hughes

MEN
    plushenko - never ever been a fan. i remember mishin and plushko giving away autograph photos of himself at the GPF in kitchener back in… 2001/2 and i actually gave it back to them mishin gave me a look ha!

PAIRS
    volosozhar & trankov

ICE DANCE
    davis & white - never connected with them don't see the hype
    fusar poli & margalio

On the Ice
    Patrick Chan for sure.

What an overrated skater, cannot handle the pressure.

The Canadian federation is very aggressive in pushing him through, I actually expected them to *complain* because he did not get Gold.

And he is the most overscored skater of our times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ginal View Post
    I had no idea about either of these things. I just googled gracie gold and sandwich incident. Yes, what you describe she did is racist, she is an idiot. Hopefully she will learn and grow, but you wonder where she got this from. Family, friends, television? who knows. If she's 50 and still doing these things, there isn't much hope but at 18, I'll give her a chance.
    The suburban high school kids I taught, in a nearly all white school, regularly did stuff like that and we would have to explain why it is inappropriate and racist. They were not exposed to diversity and learned lots of stereotypes through popular culture. I'm willing to overlook it a little in teens, but she should be learning as she goes and we should stop seeing it.

On the Ice
    Maé-Bérénice Méité, gutted she finished ahead of valentina..she is a great technical skater and a brilliant jumper but she is too rough around the edges..she needs to soften her routines

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast