Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are "all that and a bag of chips"?

Hybrid View

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar

Skaters who are "all that and a bag of chips"?

I feel a little bad about any negativity I generated with my "not my cup of tea" thread, and I want us all to be friends
    So lets name a few skaters that stand out positively in your mind that may or may not be heavily decorated, but really caught your attention for some reason and made you their fan!
    I'll start:
    Tomas Verner--he just has a spark
    Sarah Meier--that girl just really stuck around and tried her best
    Shibs--seem like fun kids who really enjoy skating

Banned
    patrick chan - if he stares at me long enough i can feel tiny pieces of my soul dying

Custom Title
    Adelina. I just wish she'd dump Tarasova as a choreographer. I'll never forgive her for that god awful LP last year.

Actually I was impressed Patrick at the Olympics. He never said anything negative about Hanyu or anyone else.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Actually I was impressed Patrick at the Olympics. He never said anything negative about Hanyu or anyone else.
    Sorry to burst your bubble.

Sochi (Russia) (AFP) - Three-time world figure skating champion Patrick Chan said on Saturday it could take years to get over his disappointment of letting Olympic gold slip through his fingers. Ironically it was Canadian coach Brian Orser, who led Yuzuru Hanyu to Japan's first men's gold on Friday night, who provided a shoulder for his 23-year-old compatriot to cry on.

Orser said he felt more emotional hugging Chan than Hanyu and his other charge Spaniard Javier Fernandez who finished fourth because he knew the feeling, having twice stood in Chan's boots, as Canada once again failed to land the men's gold.

"I'm surprised he said that," said Chan. "I have worked with Brian a few times. As I told him when we hugged, I wanted to look at my whole journey, not just one bad program.

"It may seem ridiculous. We're so tough on ourselves for winning a silver medal but you train day in and day out to do that perfect skate and you want it so badly.

"I couldn't sleep last night I was so busy thinking about those moments those split second moments that could have changed everything.

"I'm lucky to have a great entourage and that's how you get through it. After that it's taking time for myself and reflecting on the amazing career I've had.

"It's tough, hopefully I can sleep better tonight and distract myself by watching other people having success.

"Like Brian said it's hard, it's going to take years for me to go to bed and not think about those split seconds that could have changed everything."

Orser -- who now coaches Hanyu in Toronto -- placed second in 1984 and 1988 while Elvis Stojko followed suit in 1994 and 1998 -- leading to talk of a "Canadian curse". Chan, the son of Chinese emigrants who settled in Canada, admitted he had desperately wanted the gold.

"I could definitely see the pressure growing in the last three years. Maybe winning three world championships didn't necessarily help," he said.

"I've had some restless nights because you're constantly thinking about it. You're imagining the glory of winning gold and changing history, and also fearing the possibility of not achieving that.

"It's unfortunate I couldn't make history but life goes on."

Chan, who trains in Detroit, said he would not be looking towards the world championships in Saitama, Japan next month nor the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

"I'm really not going to look that far ahead. It's going to be tough to go to Pyeongchang and start a new journey.

"I have to look at it in a positive fashion. Two silver medals is as good as a gold medal and not even Yuzuru can say he's had as much success as me in his career.

"I'm the only male skater to have ever have left the Olympics with two medals so that's really special to say I have achieved," added Chan, who also won silver with Canada in the team event.

"I think I'm still the best skater in the world for some time. I've above all pushed the sport in a new direction. We're really in a new generation."

On the Ice
    Yeah, but he never said anything specific about Hanyu. That's a start. I think it would be difficult to say anything negative about Hanyu given how nice he seems to be

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seruleane View Post
    Yeah, but he never said anything specific about Hanyu. That's a start. I think it would be difficult to say anything negative about Hanyu given how nice he seems to be
    Hanyu does seem like the kind of guy you want to hug and present with a stuffed animal

Custom Title
    I guess technically. He said Yuzuru, not Hanyu.

Custom Title
    Stephane Lambiel!
    Kurt Browning!

Custom Title
    Well, Patrick is right at this point in time. Yuzuru does not have as much success as him RIGHT NOW, but you can't guarantee that in the next few years since Yuzuru plans to stick around :P But I guess it's nice to give yourself some pep talk and reassurance :P Yuzuru will never ever be a 6X Canadian National Champion - no one can take that away from PChiddy :P

Custom Title
    LOL Chan really is the most ridiculous person. He's like Anne Hathaway level desperate.

Rinkside
    Alissa Czisny. Her musicality, her spins, her presence and elegance is really something special.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    LOL Chan really is the most ridiculous person. He's like Anne Hathaway level desperate.
    I like Anne Hathaway. She's trying to be polite, and that's so out of fashion these days that most people don't know what to make of it when they see it. Is it fake? Well, it's put on, but the intentions are good. I don't see any connection with Chan's behavior, though.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble.
    I personally don't think that counts as saying something negative about Hanyu. To me he's just talking up his own success, rather than talking down his competitors. I'm actually glad to see that Patrick is thinking positively about his two silver medals, that's genuinely great for him

Saying that he's still the best skater for some time is also valid. Hanyu and other up and comers still have a ways to go, and even he acknowledges Patrick as being the best in the world right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast