Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who are "all that and a bag of chips"?

To those who brought up Alexander Abt, I totally forgot about him! He was fabulous!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Sasha Abt, a beautiful skater, inconsistent, not mentally strong, but had the most long stroking edges and gliding. He can fly across the ice and was quite a dancer. His best performances were in Euro 2002, and he deserved to beat the legendary Yagudin for the gold. I had a crush on him too.
    This is what I love about this board...someone still remembers Alexander Abt! He was the hotness, sorely underrated, but just divine nonetheless.

I also loved Shiskova and Naumov (they had a secret sense of humor about them but were also underrated in the time of G&G and M&D).

Aschiutza mentioned the Finns, Rahkhamo and Kokko, who were way ahead of their time.

Loved Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas, another underrated ice dance team.

All Italian and French ice dance teams who haven't medaled in the Olympics (Faiella and Scali, Capellini and Lanotte, Delobel and Schoenfelder)

And right now, my broken heart bleeds for Pechalat and Bourzat. They were really innovative storytellers on the ice. Will miss them so much.

Custom Title
    Stephane Lambiel. Who can resist - and such a lyrical, emotional skater who had the technicals to match. >.<
    On the same note - though not as universally likable perhaps - Yagudin. I had such a girl-crush on Yagudin. And it never went away.

Custom Title
    Stephane Lambiel!
    Kurt Browning!

Quote Originally Posted by Raatkirani View Post
    This is what I love about this board...someone still remembers Alexander Abt! He was the hotness, sorely underrated, but just divine nonetheless.

I also loved Shiskova and Naumov (they had a secret sense of humor about them but were also underrated in the time of G&G and M&D).

Aschiutza mentioned the Finns, Rahkhamo and Kokko, who were way ahead of their time.

Loved Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas, another underrated ice dance team.

All Italian and French ice dance teams who haven't medaled in the Olympics (Faiella and Scali, Capellini and Lanotte, Delobel and Schoenfelder)

And right now, my broken heart bleeds for Pechalat and Bourzat. They were really innovative storytellers on the ice. Will miss them so much.
    You're a fan after my own heart! All the skaters you mentioned are special but largely unrecognized.

Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie View Post
    Stephane Lambiel. Who can resist - and such a lyrical, emotional skater who had the technicals to match. >.<
    On the same note - though not as universally likable perhaps - Yagudin. I had such a girl-crush on Yagudin. And it never went away.
    Yes... everything he does is incredible. Flamenco 2007 Worlds LP Just wow...

Custom Title
    This thread makes me want a bag of chips....but the store is now closed.

I think I will miss Jeffrey Buttle for years and years to come. I really miss his style and his funny, lopsided/puppyish grin.

Custom Title
    Yagudin
    Chan
    Takahashi
    Kim
    Kwan
    Ito

Custom Title
    My Family size bag of chips: Todd Eldredge - if I could trade every stupid snowboarding and curling OGM for just 1 OGM for him I would

Regular bag of chips: Sasha Cohen - so she fell a lot, but even when she fell she was beautiful to watch

Lunch-box/fun-size bag of chips: Julia Lipnitskaia; I've watched her for 2 years and her skating never bores me and she's the skater that excites me for this next cycle to watch - she reminds me of Cohen early on in her career and I hope she develops a little more musicality with age in her skating like Cohen did, but keeps her consistency

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Seruleane View Post
    Yeah, but he never said anything specific about Hanyu. That's a start. I think it would be difficult to say anything negative about Hanyu given how nice he seems to be
    Well, Patrick is right at this point in time. Yuzuru does not have as much success as him RIGHT NOW, but you can't guarantee that in the next few years since Yuzuru plans to stick around :P But I guess it's nice to give yourself some pep talk and reassurance :P Yuzuru will never ever be a 6X Canadian National Champion - no one can take that away from PChiddy :P

Rinkside
    Kurt Browning and first runner up would be Scott Hamilton

Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov
    Totmianina/Marinin
    Pang/Tong

Men: Lambiel
    Hanyu

Dance: Virtue/Moir
    Delobel/Schoenfelder

Ladies: Slutskaya (and this is how I started watching figure skating)
    Mao and Yuna (really no preference, they are both incredibly beautiful skaters)
    Gracie (new entry in my top)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble.
    I personally don't think that counts as saying something negative about Hanyu. To me he's just talking up his own success, rather than talking down his competitors. I'm actually glad to see that Patrick is thinking positively about his two silver medals, that's genuinely great for him

Saying that he's still the best skater for some time is also valid. Hanyu and other up and comers still have a ways to go, and even he acknowledges Patrick as being the best in the world right now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    MISHA GE!!! Boy is so full of sassiness and fabulosity! He actually had fun with his LP performance the Olympics.
    This ^

I took a liking to Misha from the first moment I saw him - Charlie Chaplin FS at Finlandia Trophy. I'd never even heard of him before that. So cheerful, upbeat, funny, and enthusiastic. Larger-than-life personality. And he's been like that at every performance I've seen since. He's a born entertainer. I don't care what scores he gets - he is just so much FUN to watch!

Akio Sasaki is similar... and I don't know if he's always that way, but Paul Bonifacio Parkinson skated with the same kind of infectious joy and enthusiasm at this Olympics...

Custom Title
    My bag of chips is that the Japanese skaters seem to learn and practice humility as part of their skating culture. They are gracious in defeat and honorable in victory.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast