Michelle Interviews Meryl & Charlie after the Medal Ceremony | Golden Skate

Michelle Interviews Meryl & Charlie after the Medal Ceremony

Vicky458

On the Ice
love their respect and admiration for each other and Michelle. They are great role models and champions!

emma

Record Breaker
this is a great interview! I've been collecting Davis and White links and came across this one without knowing Dorispulaski had already posted it here. So, thanks for posting this doris! I feel a little sad that we haven't had a dedicated thread to Davis and White given what they achieved, and I am so very, very happy for them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I found it very poignant, given that Michelle never earned an OMG, and there she was sitting across from 2 golds. I teared up a bit.

emma

Record Breaker
yeah, me too. and Meryl and Charlie were so respectful to her - I thought it was so nice (sincerely) how Meryl mentioned Michelle's inspiration speech at champs camp and how they tried to work with her advice of the "to work on list" every night. The 'what charlie said' before they skated and the ending comment (don't want to spoil it) also choked me up a lot.

To me, it seems like Michelle is finally at peace with her Olympic experiences. She said in a recent interview (speaking about Patrick Chan), that it took her four years to get over 2002 -- that she spent countless hours going over every detail in her mind and examining all the things she could have done differently.

BTW, Tri-delt (Meryl's sorority that she mentioned in the interview) just raised 15 million dollars for St. Judes Childrens Hospital -- the same charity that Scott Hamilton and Stars on Ice have supported.

I was very captivated. Thanks for the link! I can never figure out when Michelle's on TV, so it's great to see her work on YT. She's doing some wonderful work, I think.

And Meryl and Charlie come across as very articulate, though understandably guarded considering they have big decisions to make but don't want to let anyone in on their thought processes yet. I think this is wise. People like Plushenko will have a lot to backtrack on in the coming weeks.

emma

Record Breaker
^I agree MM about Michelle...and the truth is, for me at least, I guess I am too, because I didn't feel the pangs of "ouch" like I used to, rather I just felt all the mutual respect.

That said, I can't help but wish for more, by which I mean a sort of hear to hear about Sheherazade and story telling and the differences between a dance team and single's person telling the story, and Michelle's take on Meryl's rendition within the framework of a couple and so on....I mean this without diminishing Michelle at all and what she might have hoped to do with that character, but just selfishly wanting to hear THAT conversation among greats. And, I honestly feel that Meryl really captured the character in a way I never anticipated, and would love to hear what the like of Michelle thought about that too...

That said, I can't help but wish for more, by which I mean a sort of hear to hear about Sheherazade and story telling and the differences between a dance team and single's person telling the story, and Michelle's take on Meryl's rendition within the framework of a couple and so on....I mean this without diminishing Michelle at all and what she might have hoped to do with that character, but just selfishly wanting to hear THAT conversation among greats. And, I honestly feel that Meryl really captured the character in a way I never anticipated, and would love to hear what the like of Michelle thought about that too...

Wouldn't that be great? I know that Michelle's interpretation became less and less storytelling as the season went on, I supppse because she was under pressure to increase the technical content by adding a triple flip combo. In her very first performance she began by miming opening a book, as if to say,"This is the tale of 1001 Arabian nights." I think it was Michelle's intention to portray the narration of the tales, rather than Sheherazade as the sultan's lover.

Not to be shallow or anything, but Meryl's lavender dress was better than any of the blue ones -- softer and prettier. :)

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
^^ yes on the narration (and I'm all goose bumpy that you wrote this)...and yes on the lavender. softer, prettier, just lovely.

Terri

Rinkside
It's funny because initially when she wore the lilac dress many fans wanted her to go back to the teal, but I liked how the lilac dress complimented Charlie's purple shirt without being matchy-matchy. And the color made the beautiful stones more visible than the teal.

It's funny because initially when she wore the lilac dress many fans wanted her to go back to the teal, but I liked how the lilac dress complimented Charlie's purple shirt without being matchy-matchy. And the color made the beautiful stones more visible than the teal.

I always prefer Meryl in purples and magentas because they bring out her hair color. The lavender was much more beautiful than the teal, I thought.

Yes, it would have been fascinating to hear a comparison of interpretations of Scheherezade discussed by the two sets of artists who did the interpreting!