Difference in why Voloszhar & Trankov so much better than Mukhortova & Trankov | Golden Skate

Difference in why Voloszhar & Trankov so much better than Mukhortova & Trankov

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Difference in why Voloszhar & Trankov so much better than Mukhortova & Trankov

What did Maria Mukhortova lack that Tatiana Volosozhar has that she could not achieve the same success with Trankov as Tatiana was able to. Heck they couldnt even win a world or grand prix final medal at any point. One thing I notice is moves like the triple twist and throws are way bigger with Tatiana which suggests to me she is simply a better athlete than Maria as one difference.

I wont ever bother asking the difference with Morozov and Trankov since the differences in overall line, extension, and skating quality are so obvious, but it is impressive Trankov is able to match Morozov's strength and pull off as big of tricks or bigger as M&V had. I didnt think that would be the case as he is so slender. Maybe it comes more through great technique than strength though.

bekalc

Record Breaker
What did Maria Mukhortova lack that Tatiana Volosozhar has that she could not achieve the same success with Trankov as Tatiana was able to. Heck they couldnt even win a world or grand prix final medal at any point. One thing I notice is moves like the triple twist and throws are way bigger with Tatiana which suggests to me she is simply a better athlete than Maria as one difference.

I wont ever bother asking the difference with Morozov and Trankov since the differences in overall line, extension, and skating quality are so obvious, but it is impressive Trankov is able to match Morozov's strength and pull off as big of tricks or bigger as M&V had. I didnt think that would be the case as he is so slender. Maybe it comes more through great technique than strength though.

Well Tatiana is a better jumper. I think Maria and Maxim were going to eventually be on the world podium though.

evangeline

Record Breaker
The biggest difference between Mukhortova and Volosozhar, IMO, is that Volosozhar is a much more consistent skater. Mukhortova would often botch an element or two, especially in the LP.

Another difference between M/T and V/T is that V/T's training environment is not a toxic one. M/T had a volatile relationship and often fought, plus Vasiliev and Mukhortova seemed to have treated Trankov pretty shabbily. OTOH, Trankov seems to be much happier with Mozer and Volosozhar, and I'm pretty sure that has an effect on how he skates and the whole dynamic of the team.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
1 Mukhortova is a headcase
2 Mukhortova and Trankov were simply a toxic partnership that would never succeed with each other
3 Mukhortova and Vasiliev were better for each other

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Well, Tatiana is a bit better as a skater, but I would think the main reason is because Tatiana and Max don't constantly get into epic arguments like Maria and Max did.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well Tatiana is a better jumper. I think Maria and Maxim were going to eventually be on the world podium though.

Even when Maria and Maxim skated totally clean like the 2009 Grand Prix final they finished 4th behind Shen & Zhao, Pang & Tong, Savchenko & Szolkowy who all had alot of mistakes at that event. The 2010 Worlds was horribly skated and Kavaguti & Smirnov won the bronze with two huge falls on elements. Maxim fell on nothing, not an element, and they had another minor mistake, and their scores indicate they wouldnt even beaten K&S for atleast a bronze with their 2 falls without any mistakes.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Tatiana's experience was huge. She is a strong jumper and exudes presence and bless Morozov, but I felt he was a bit of a Yuri Larionov, in that he was some hulking presence that really detracted from Tatiana's lines and quality.

And obviously, a huge reason was that Mukhortova and Trankov didn't get along.

I'm glad V/T were able to find each other. Goes to show that if two good pairs skaters find each other and are the right partners for each other they can be an amazing pair.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Even when Maria and Maxim skated totally clean like the 2009 Grand Prix final they finished 4th behind Shen & Zhao, Pang & Tong, Savchenko & Szolkowy who all had alot of mistakes at that event. The 2010 Worlds was horribly skated and Kavaguti & Smirnov won the bronze with two huge falls on elements. Maxim fell on nothing, not an element, and they had another minor mistake, and their scores indicate they wouldnt even beaten K&S for atleast a bronze with their 2 falls without any mistakes.

And. Maybe the judges had heard the rumors of V/T and didn't want to do anything to discourage Max from making the switch. In General though, I think Maria and Max were going to move up.