Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

Krislite

Medalist
That should be the understatement of the year! To be honest, I could not enjoy at all Yuna's Adios, as soon as Adelina's score of 149.95 flashed on the screen. It was made clear that they were going to give Gold to Adelina no matter what. From that point on, I just had to watch powerlessly Yuna becoming a pawn in a game of politiking, putting up a brave face and perform in front of a hostile crowds, alone in the face of a massive setup. It was just watching a person alone against the world. Heartbreaking really. Maybe I will be able to enjoy her program one day when I finally manage to 'de-traumatize' myself from the nightmare that unfolded over these two days.

I was able to enjoy her programs very soon afterwards. I guess I steeled myself against the results and was expecting them, so as I disappointed as I was I could still watch her magnificent performances and appreciate them. It helps that she actually went clean in both programs. :) The only other LP's I recorded were Carolina's and Mao's. Just beautiful skates from these three ladies, all a moment of personal triumph in their own way.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yuna is a wonderful champion. I am in the minority. The problem is I don't see the evidence of a conspiracy; I may not agree with the scoring but no medal, no result can take away Yuna is a wonderful skater.
She didn't make an error.

Krislite

Medalist
I hope some clever person will combine the music from some previous events with the best performances from Sochi. It would be nice to watch YuNa, Carolina, Mao, Gracie, D&W, V&M, and P&B without the distracting and unpleasant crowd noises.

I would, except the videos would be instantly blocked on YouTube.

drkil

Spectator
Kim Yu-Na: "I want that people remember that there was a skater called Kim Yu-Na."

Hello, skate fans. I came across yesterday's women's figure games and took interest in the sport. With the disputes over officiation of the event, I hope translating this article adds a meaningful contribution to the discussion.

-Comment on your last Olympic performance?
"Relieved. I am happy that my performance went down without errors."

-Did you sleep well yesterday? What thoughts came to your mind?
"I slept late after drug test and interviews. I could not put myself to sleep at first. I suppose that I felt it was too surreal that it is over. But without worries I had a good night's sleep."

-Your score did not come out on top. Do you think your performance did not either?
"I have not watched other skaters' performance yet. Accept the score or not, nonetheless, it makes no difference. I have no attachment. The only thoughts that I have is that it is over."

-Are you aware of the quarrels over the judging?
"I am aware of the talks of unfair judging. It is not the first one that happened to me, but I suppose more people pay attention to this because it is the Olympics. However, I have no attachments to the judging. I am satisfied that I gave all and did well."

-After the performance, what did your facial expression mean? It was different from Vancouver.
"The first thing that came to my mind was that it was over. Things have been difficult for me, I suppose that is because I was very nervous coming into this event. That is why the thought 'it is finally over' came very strongly to me."

-Your facial expression did not alter much after the announcing of the score. Did you predict a low score?
" Judging from the short program, and from the environment, I did not expect a good score. With great hopes come great disappointments, but that was not the case for me. I have came accrose many occasions where the score does not match my expectations, that is why I was not surprised. Also I felt fine because I did not come to this event seeking a gold medal."

-Did you have conversations with Sotnikova or Kostner?
"I exchanged congratulations with them, and that was it."

-Why are you so relieved, as you mentioned?
"Because I can live without the fear of competitions. Also I am now free from many restraints as a skater. I especially felt relieved because it was physically difficult as well as that my drive was not strong as it was like for Vancouver."

-The end of Olympic. Anything you want to do?
"I am not sure. I am just happy that everything is over and that I do not shoulder any more burdens."

-Yesterday, you were particularly emotionless in general.
"Because I had little desire for the gold. You do not have to be in sorrow because you are silver. Also, I feel good about that I can rest now. Obviously it is not that everything is fun and games from now on, but now I can take my time."

-Thoughts on running for IOC commitee?
"That thought needs more time."

-The most memorable performance of your career?
"So many things have happened in the past 17 years, and it is hard to pick one. The performance yesterday was one, and Vancouver Olympic was another one."

-The most memorable rival?
"Asada Mao, without doubt. Too long have we been compared and been competing together. No other pairs must have been compared as much as she and I did. Over 10 years we have competed as rivals."

-Now that you will retire. What kind of a skater do you want to be remembered as?
"I have came past many events. Rather than as the Vancouver gold medalist or the Sochi silver medalist, I want that people remember that there was a skater called Kim Yu-Na."

moviechick

On the Ice
She seems so over it. lol.

I think she'd rather just retire in peace now than raise a huge fuss about her result. Gurl obviously checked out a long time ago.

jkun

Final Flight
I think I am conflicted as a fan of Kim and as a fan of figure skating in general. Obviously scoring needs altering and there needs to be accountability. But as a fan of Kim I feel as if this whole thing will hurt her chances at pursuing whatever she wants like being on the IOC.

tulosai

Record Breaker
-The end of Olympic. Anything you want to do?
"I am not sure. I am just happy that everything is over and that I do not shoulder any more burdens."

-Yesterday, you were particularly emotionless in general.
"Because I had little desire for the gold. You do not have to be in sorrow because you are silver. Also, I feel good about that I can rest now. Obviously it is not that everything is fun and games from now on, but now I can take my time."

-Thoughts on running for IOC commitee?
"That thought needs more time."

-The most memorable rival?
"Asada Mao, without doubt. Too long have we been compared and been competing together. No other pairs must have been compared as much as she and I did. Over 10 years we have competed as rivals."

-Now that you will retire. What kind of a skater do you want to be remembered as?
"I have came past many events. Rather than as the Vancouver gold medalist or the Sochi silver medalist, I want that people remember that there was a skater called Kim Yu-Na."

She is truly a class act. And she WILL be remembered. Nice shout out to Mao, and SO happy finally someone is like "silver is a good medal, boo-yah."

I am also glad she will not have to shoulder any more burdens as she says. It is hard to think of a skater who I wish more good for than Yuna Kim.

drkil

Spectator
She seems so over it. lol.

I think she'd rather just retire in peace now than raise a huge fuss about her result. Gurl obviously checked out a long time ago.

I had a different interpretation when I read this, and that is that she came to Sochi not for great results but for great performances, and for her fan.

If I understood correctly what you meant by "checking out", I emphatically disagree. It is absolutely absurd to put all the effort and time just to blow it all to nowhere and dissolve into oblivion. She just wanted to give it all. It sounds cheesy, but I think that was what it was.

edit: confusing grammatical error

Ambivalent

On the Ice
It just breaks my heart to see her go out like this. She deserved better, either winning or thoroughly outskated.

VirMo

On the Ice
-Your facial expression did not alter much after the announcing of the score. Did you predict a low score?
" Judging from the short program, and from the environment, I did not expect a good score. With great hopes come great disappointments, but that was not the case for me. I have came accrose many occasions where the score does not match my expectations, that is why I was not surprised. Also I felt fine because I did not come to this event seeking a gold medal."

If anything, any competition, makes a skater let down and make them feel like this, it's detrimental to the sport. The sport already is losing audience and fans, and now it's going to lose North America and Asia. Russia can have all the power in figure skating they want after they alienate everyone.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
You na is smart. She knew it was fixed after the short program. Everybody knows, but that does not mean we have to accept injustice.

Ven

Match Penalty
You na is smart. She knew it was fixed after the short program. Everybody knows, but that does not mean we have to accept injustice.

If it gets swept under the rug, it will just continue and rob some other girl somewhere. The people who lie and cover up are disgusting human beings, former skaters on tv included.

Yuna is a class act and truly beautiful soul, it's a shame that this had to happen to her of all people.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
If anything, any competition, makes a skater let down and make them feel like this, it's detrimental to the sport. The sport already is losing audience and fans, and now it's going to lose North America and Asia. Russia can have all the power in figure skating they want after they alienate everyone.

Like syn. Swimming and rhy. Gymnastics. Meaningless medal collections for Putin's party.

gds102

Rinkside
Zen master. Not just a queen but a legend, indeed.
Her attitude and interview reveal her true quality.
We WILL REMEMBER you Yuna.

I feel so sorry for her, though.. All this injustice and corruption. She's too good for the Sochi olympics.

MizukiS

Rinkside
You will not only be remembered but also be revered! You're already part of history. Your world records are included in the Guinness, written reviews and videos of your spectacular performances are all over the internet (with millions of your fans having a backup copy) ;) So you can now live free from any competition-related worries and just enjoy the rest of your life.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Yuna's motivation was to be eligible for IOC as an athlete, and she did it with great performances. So no resentment, no regret. I'm kind of puzzled by her remark of having experienced it many times before. I'm under the expression Yuna had been always well rewarded.

Anyways, she's a class act in the aftermath of the competition. A very good role model.

Thanks for the translation! What a lovely interview. YuNa speaks with such simplicity, maturity, and dignity.

Someone a few posts up said that this silver would harm YuNa's future career? Not possible. I can't imagine any situation that would diminish YuNa's status as one of the greatest skaters ever. Not after her accomplishments of the last seven years or so.

I'm so proud to be a fan of hers.

Crylais

Rinkside
Yuna's motivation was to be eligible for IOC as an athlete, and she did it with great performances. So no resentment, no regret. I'm kind of puzzled by her remark of having experienced it many times before. I'm under the expression Yuna had been always well rewarded.

Anyways, she's a class act in the aftermath of the competition. A very good role model.
A few people thought her Worlds SP was slightly undermarked. She didn't break the 70 mark. She was close though by like 0.03