Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

spikydurian

Medalist
Your facial expression did not alter much after the announcing of the score. Did you predict a low score?
" Judging from the short program, and from the environment, I did not expect a good score. With great hopes come great disappointments, but that was not the case for me. I have came accrose many occasions where the score does not match my expectations, that is why I was not surprised. Also I felt fine because I did not come to this event seeking a gold medal."

If this is indeed the right translation, it reads "after the SP, I know I am unlikely to do well in LP no matter how I skate". Telling isn't it? Asians are not so direct. So one has to learn to read in between the lines.;)

Lavendera

Spectator
Small thing, but someone noticed that when you google Yuna Kim, it shows up as Yuna Queen.
Just thought it was a nice touch :)

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Yuna sounded tired and relieved that the competitions were over. i don't think she likes competing from the tone of this interview. She must live under alot of pressure.

drkil

Spectator
If this is indeed the right translation, it reads "after the SP, I know I am unlikely to do well in LP no matter how I skate". Telling isn't it? Asians are not so direct. So one has to learn to read in between the lines.;)

curious Korean-speakers (and people who are audacious enough to try google translate) can check the original version of the interview here (I did not include this in the original post because I got banned for including url in my first-ever post).

http://news.kukinews.com/article/view.asp?page=1&gCode=spo&arcid=0008065875&code=12180000

joynara

Spectator
Just because she's reached a place mentally, emotionally, spiritually where all the infighting, politicking, and all that crap can't hurt her any more doesn't mean that what's happened at these Olympics is a-ok, as in, 'she's moving on and so should everybody else'. There's a part of the press conference that's been left out in which she says it was the journey that mattered more to her than the end result, and watching her deal with all this is how I came to understand finally what she meant by going after something that was bigger than a gold medal. Kurt Browning said he came to the same realization when he saw her face at the end, but it didn't really sink in for me until I saw her at the press conference. But in many ways, it's what makes it all the more heartbreaking, and no, it's not because she didn't win the gold. She's no dummy, she got the message loud and clear the moment she saw those results at the short program. And watching her face crumble as she hugged her coach for the last time after the free program, watching her struggle to keep her composure backstage, fighting back tears, ... don't tell me that it's all 100% pure, happy tears of relief, not tinged with any sorrow. Not sorrow that she hasn't won a gold, but sorrow at THIS. The hardest journey in her life, her final competition, and THIS is what's happened. If this had been fought and judged fair and square, I'd bet my first-born that she could have won a silver or a bronze and we'd have seen a happier Yuna. But instead of celebrating a strong showing from all the ladies and feeling good about the state of figure skating, .... words just fail me.

drkil

Spectator
Sorry about that. :eek:: Welcome to the forum. Post often, post long! :rock:

thankfully the admin was swift with the unban. I was surprised at first, but after a short deliberation I concluded that the policy could be doing more good than harm. :D

Ven

Match Penalty
Just because she's reached a place mentally, emotionally, spiritually where all the infighting, politicking, and all that crap can't hurt her any more doesn't mean that what's happened at these Olympics is a-ok, as in, 'she's moving on and so should everybody else'. There's a part of the press conference that's been left out in which she says it was the journey that mattered more to her than the end result, and watching her deal with all this is how I came to understand finally what she meant by going after something that was bigger than a gold medal. Kurt Browning said he came to the same realization when he saw her face at the end, but it didn't really sink in for me until I saw her at the press conference. But in many ways, it's what makes it all the more heartbreaking, and no, it's not because she didn't win the gold. She's no dummy, she got the message loud and clear the moment she saw those results at the short program. And watching her face crumble as she hugged her coach for the last time after the free program, watching her struggle to keep her composure backstage, fighting back tears, ... don't tell me that it's all 100% pure, happy tears of relief, not tinged with any sorrow. Not sorrow that she hasn't won a gold, but sorrow at THIS. The hardest journey in her life, her final competition, and THIS is what's happened. If this had been fought and judged fair and square, I'd bet my first-born that she could have won a silver or a bronze and we'd have seen a happier Yuna. But instead of celebrating a strong showing from all the ladies and feeling good about the state of figure skating, .... words just fail me.

That's a touching post, joynara. Thanks for sharing.

I'm heartbroken because this happened to such a good person. Think of all of the pressure she was under, the broken foot, the painkillers, the crowd booing her, the judges writing on the wall, the fact it was her last performance ever ... just all of it, no other woman on earth could have gone out there and did what she did with that program on the ice in that moment. And still, it was stolen from her, and most everyone knows it.

How many parents will tell their little girls not to skate because it's not a real sport, it's corrupt, after this? What kind of message does this story send to people?

thankfully the admin was swift with the unban. I was surprised at first, but after a short deliberation I concluded that the policy could be doing more good than harm. :D

Greatly, greatly, greatly more good. When we moved to a new server last week (to accommodate the increased demand) there were a few hours when we were without our spam filters, and the board was momentarily swamped with multiple spam postings in every language. :laugh:

joynara

Spectator
How many parents will tell their little girls not to skate because it's not a real sport, it's corrupt, after this? What kind of message does this story send to people?

Don't even get me started on that. I can't tell you how it breaks my heart every time I come across a Korean wondering if s/he can bear to watch figure skating again after this. That was Yuna's biggest accomplishment, inspiring a whole nation to take interest in it, because her love for figure skating was that powerful and people basked in her joy. That should be her biggest legacy, a whole new generation of figure skating amateurs and lovers and hopefully future Yuna's, but instead the message it sends is that THE SYSTEM couldn't ****ing care less about those lofty goals, the system couldn't ****ing care less about journeys, all that matters is the end result and who cares about what it takes to get there. I only have to look at what's happened in the US to know that there's only so much that exceptional and inspiring figure skaters can do to keep it alive against institutional interests who couldn't have cared less.

Ambivalent

On the Ice

Brilliant post.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Don't worry Yuna, your skating will always be remembered because it was memorable and special.

moviechick

On the Ice
It's too bad her fans are so classless about it though. The stuff they're posting on Adelina's facebook/instagram is gross and shameful.

"**** you such a disgusting person same as your country"

"Are you happy? But you are not champion. REAL champion is Yuna Kim!"

"******. Home cooked skater."

Seriously, learn from your idol and do not stoop to this nonsense.

Ven

Match Penalty
It's too bad her fans are so classless about it though. The stuff they're posting on Adelina's facebook/instagram is gross and shameful.

Seriously, learn from your idol and do not stoop to this nonsense.

You don't know who is posting it. It could be Korean nationalists, or Russians trying to make people look bad. It could even be sky fly for all we know.

moviechick

On the Ice
You don't know who is posting it. It could be Korean nationalists, or Russians trying to make people look bad. It could even be sky fly for all we know.

Well, you can kind of tell by their icons/profiles that most of them are from Korea. Or the username "yunakimarmy".

LOL, Russians trying to make people look bad?? You seriously think they would go to a girl's facebook to threaten her family just to make Koreans look bad.