Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

Mao88

Record Breaker
this poster is a Yuna fan,
the mods constantly have to keep on redirecting the threads he keeps creating

Your exactly right. In fact, more than a Yuna fan - more like a Yunaobsessive. Reminds me of this very disturbing scene from the film, Vertigo

And yes, this thread belongs in the Kim thread in the Fan Fest zone. Like you, I'm fed up of the Yuna fans and their multiple threads (often highly offensive threads which breach half the rules of the board - such as the Russian backlash thread)

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Is it true that Yuna medals in every event she participated in?????
O___O

I checked her wikipedia and she medals in each event.

ahy

Final Flight
Is it true that Yuna medals in every event she participated in?????
O___O

I checked her wikipedia and she medals in each event.

yes, as i rmb after 2008wc, she got silver or gold for all the competitions

Ven

Match Penalty
O.M.G

That is unbelievable. O_O

No doubt she is the greatest skater of all time....
:clap: :bow: :bow:

All 11,000 athletes at Sochi 2014 have a medal tracker on their google page.

Type in "Yuna Kim" on google.

Type in "Adelina Sotnikova" on google.

Enjoy :)

ahy

Final Flight
All 11,000 athletes at Sochi 2014 have a medal tracker on their google page.

Type in "Yuna Kim" on google.

Type in "Adelina Sotnikova" on google.

Enjoy :)

I really love how they changed it to yuna queen :)

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Please post this in Yuna Olympic thread. No need for a separate thread. No need to be sentimental about her father or her injury. The indisputable fact that there was unfair scoring inflation and collusion among the judges is already out in the open. We need to focus on the raw facts to make our case.

Agree.

Mods, please merge this thread into other Yuna thread.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Wow I like how everyone is commenting on how this thread needs to be moved (it should be, but we don't need more than 1 comment saying that) instead of actually reading the letter. It's incredibly touching and in my mind, I lost it. I'm very grateful to Yuna and her hard work. And to be honest, if he didn't make a separate thread about this, I probably wouldn't have even seen the letter because I don't really visit any particular skater's forum anymore now that they're all retiring.

It is indeed a beautiful letter. I'm glad for the chance to read it. And I'm not a Yuna fan. (I'm a Kwanbot? A John Curry bot? A Kurtbot? Hmmm. I seem to have a lot of robot potential. :))

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Yuna, but I'm not a Yuna fan. Nevertheless, I think this is a beautiful letter, and I appreciate the opportunity to read it here.

Olympia, I :love: your sense of humor! :biggrin:

MizukiS

Rinkside
Every single one...as novice, junior and senior; Nationals, senior B's, Grand Prix, 4CC, Worlds and Olympics. All in all, not too bad.

And I believe no 'controversial' wins either, right? She takes home a medal even if she's injured because she is that good! She's the best combination of athleticism & artistry, PCS & TES. The greatest skater of all time! :bow:

westernhalf

Rinkside
I like Yuna, but I'm not a Yuna fan. Nevertheless, I think this is a beautiful letter, and I appreciate the opportunity to read it here.

Same here. I haven't followed her career closely, but what a letter! The love and support of a family like that is worth more than a million OGMs.

yuki90

On the Ice
Article from Japan Times.

Scandalous outcome: Skating judges steal Kim’s title, hand it to Sotnikova

SOCHI, RUSSIA – Yuna Kim got robbed on Thursday night. Plain and simple.

What happened to her at the Sochi Games was a complete and utter disgrace. Another black eye for figure skating.

The elegant and magnetic South Korean superstar gave a wonderful performance in very difficult circumstances, not making a single mistake, yet came away with only a silver medal in what can only be deemed a scandalous result.

Russian gold medalist Adelina Sotnikova was impressive in her free skate, but was she five points better than Kim?

No way. How over the top was Sotnikova’s score in the free skate? Sixteen points better than her previous personal best.
Give me a break. What should have been a glorious moment for Russian skating was taking on a decidedly different tone the morning after, with some very disturbing information emerging.

I spoke with several journalists in the Main Press Center on Friday morning and it was nearly unanimous — they almost all thought that Kim had beaten home favorite Sotnikova.

Before I even made it back to my hotel after the competition, the debate was already beginning to rage.

With the arrival of Kim and Mao Asada many years ago, skating in Asia has been enjoying a boom. But the sad reality is that in many other places it has been languishing. The results in women’s singles here will only make promoting it harder. Every time something like this occurs it does exponential damage.

Millions of people around the world are watching and presuming it is all legitimate. Skating is a great sport — one that teaches important values to youngsters about dedication, hard work and sportsmanship — and to see it besmirched again is very disturbing.

What are the young skaters and fans who watched the free skate supposed to think?

What bothers me most is that here was this great champion, an incredible symbol for skating, giving it her all one more time. Kim is a millionaire many times over and certainly didn’t need to compete. She is set for life.

But she knew she was still young enough to give it another go and wanted her fans to have another chance to see her on the greatest stage. She put her legacy on the line in a bid to become only the third woman ever to retain the Olympic title (after Norway’s Sonja Henie and Germany’s Katarina Witt). It was a gutsy move.

Brennan, the author of the highly acclaimed skating book “Inside Edge,” didn’t mince any words in her analysis of the free skate, telling it exactly like it was.
“What happened tonight in the women’s figure skating competition was worse than the 2002 Salt Lake City pairs judging scandal because, this time, we’ll never find out who might have done what because all the judges’ scores are now anonymous,” she wrote.
Brennan also quoted Joseph Inman, an American international skating judge as saying, “I was surprised with the result.”
Kim nailed both of her programs and should have retained her title. That is the bottom line.

Three-time U.S. champion Michael Weiss sensed something amiss with this Twitter comment on Thursday. “Yuna — two clean skates as defending Olympic champ wins gold, right?”

That’s the way it is supposed to be. Legendary American skater Dick Button, a two-time Olympic champion (1948, 1952), has been an analyst now for decades. The messages he tweeted said it all. “At one point, I had doubts regarding Yuna Kim — not after today. She was superb, elegant, charming. Never a wilt.” His feelings about the gold medalist were different. “Sotnikova was energetic, strong, commendable, but not a complete skater.”

What folks need to understand is that Sotnikova didn’t just emerge from oblivion. She has been around for a few years. She is a four-time Russian champion and the 2011 world junior champion. But in her three seasons skating on the senior circuit, she has never even won a Grand Prix event, much less medaled at a major international competition. She has qualified just once for the world championships as a senior, finishing ninth in 2013.

Did she suddenly become great overnight? Good enough to beat Kim in the Olympics? Your common sense will tell you no. Once you arrive there, the rest is not difficult to deduce.

Kim showed her true class with her comments after the free skate. She could have stirred up controversy, but was magnanimous in defeat. “The score is given by the judges,” she said. “I’m not in the right position to comment on it. And my words can change nothing.”

The reality is the trap for Kim was set on Wednesday night with the unfairly high score that Sotnikova received in the short program.
Kim was fabulous skating to “Send in the Clowns” and should have had a lead of at least four points heading into the free skate.

Instead, both Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova received inflated marks and the former was less than half a point behind Kim in second place. It was as if once it became apparent that Lipnitskaia wasn’t going to be a contender for the gold, the impetus swung to push Sotnikova. There is nothing that damages sports more than predictability, the preordained result. That’s what you saw on Thursday night.

Kim could not have gotten out of the Iceberg Skating Palace with the gold medal if she had left with it in an armored car.
I almost felt as if I were watching a play where Kim was going to be brought out and sacrificed as the final act.
That would have gone along with the story line, but Kim would have none of it. She displayed the heart and courage of a true champion in an amazing effort.

What happened next was a damn shame.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...kims-title-hand-it-to-sotnikova/#.UwiwcWJ_tjM

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Ok how has no one questioned the veracity of this letter and the fact that it reads exactly like what how Yuna-ubers usually write?

amateur

Final Flight
^^ I'm just wondering how (and why) such a personal letter like this would have become public.... And so readily translated into good English (I assume Yuna's father would write a heartfelt letter to her in Korean)