Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

cooper

Medalist
like what she said there's nothing she can do about the judging.. that's the way it is.. i just hope that she can deliver her LP.. no matter what the results will be... i'm just very proud of yuna.. for someone like her.. who has no fed to do politicking for her.. and hold her nerves with a very hard to please audience.. yuna no matter what.. i'm soo proud of you!!:)

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
Funny I called my mom and told her to watch the sp ladies. She studied dance for years and prefers ice dance but she watched the whole thing. Afterwards she said there were a lot of good programs but the Korean girl in the yellow dress who skated to Send in the Clowns was her favorite. She remarked how moving the whole skate was and how athletic that skater was. Of course it was Yuna and I explained who she was and she said I sure hope she gets the gold medal because she is the best.

I agree with your mother. So Yu-Na's score seems too low or others were overrated.

emma

Record Breaker
I thought Yu Na's scores were a bit low in PCS (still haven't figured out the goes, but do appreciate Ziggy's analysis alot). Anyway, my husband, who knows very little about skating, just watched her and was like: she was great in 2010, she is even better now, I bet she got like 100 points for that. Well, not quite...but I found his reaction interesting (and he doesn't even know that she is world champion, and has hardly competed recently).

vegarin

On the Ice
To me that program was about bitter-sweetness and nostalgia, and Yuna delivered it perfectly. Absolutely love this program and adore this performance.
I'm soooooo happy that Yuna had a sublime performance even under such nerves.
And wish she can have a stunning performance again tomorrow! That will be a perfect closure no matter what the result will be.

Ditto. This was the very last SP competition skate by Yuna Kim. :cry:

aragray

Rinkside
i think Yuna didn't react a lot to her scores because all her top competitors had yet to skate.. so she probably didn't have a clue how they would match up to that score or how good/bad it really was and would be in comparison.
as for her performance, i like to think that david went for the 'subtlety' this year and that deep down she truly is engaged even if it doesn't seem that way to everyone. I for one, had no idea really because the coverage I watched barely showed her face for more than two seconds at a time.. :think:

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
i think Yuna didn't react a lot to her scores because all her top competitors had yet to skate..

Yes, she did just when the score was announced (of course, she, mature, didn't "say" her heart out in words). She must have thought she performed better than the score.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yuna was held down in PCS, no question about it. But if Yuna can deliver yet again tomorrow, this should be 2013 WC redux.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Yeah, for someone who scored 78 at the 2010 olympics, 74 for a perfectly clean and beautiful skate was a bit low. It's reminding me of her 2013 world championships. She received deflated scores for the short and also ended up skating last for the lp. Same scenario here at the 2014 olympics. I really hope she can deliver a beautiful farewell program. She seemed unusually bothered/tired/uncomfortable today for some reason ):

quikrush

Rinkside
The judging was horrible, but I expected as much. Hope this will help ignite her competitive spirit. I sure have my fingers crossed. Go Yuna, and let the skating gods prevail.

starrynight

On the Ice
Let them play with levels, GOEs or PCSs. That does not and cannot tarnish one legend skater's last love letter.

JYSkate

Rinkside
WOW Adelina is pretty much almost at Yuna's 2010 vancouver fs score. I'm almost decided that she's grabbed the gold. If Yuna can break her own record she set in 2010 (150.08?), that is going to be... impossible almost lol. I can't imagine her doing that, but let's see how she handles it. PRESSURE IS ON NOW. :popcorn:

Hamil

Rinkside
Yuna Kim will be remembered forever as THE best figure skater ever lived

And Russia will be remembered a part of that legend as the villain who stole gold medal from Yuna Kim.

jfdw

Rinkside
I will will not say that Yuna is the best skater that ever lived because there are many that came before her that were great and legends in history. But I will say she showed she was a true champion to-day when she did not win the gold. She got on that podium with her head held high and a smile on her face and why should she not a gold and silver in back to back Olympics that is a great feat. She has shown class all the way and I hope her fans although disappointed and many felt the results should have been different me included I hope they behave with the same finesse and true sportsmanship that she has shown.

cooper

Medalist
my favorite skater did everything she could.. there's nothing she can do about this.. proud of yuna!!! and thank you!!

usethis2

Medalist
Absolutely agree that I have not seen anyone better than her throughout history (at least from whatever I could find on YouTube). She was clearly robbed in these Olympics, but her timeless performances will live on my memory forever. True champion.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Lol this is probably a thread best avoided by those who don't appreciate Yuna's skating, which seems like there are quite a few on this site. :sarcasm:

I would say that she is definitely one of the best I've ever seen. She's got the whole package from technical abilities, artistic abilities, and consistency/being able to handle extreme pressure and deliver! The only area she lacked compared to the rest of the top competition was flexibility which affected some elements in her programs that could have been better such as her spins and spiral, but overall was nearly perfect. She is a legend coming from a country that had no previous skating stars. I still remember and watch her 2007 world sp when she cracked the 70 mark... man that tango performance was amazing! She became dominant and without rival starting in 2008-2009 with her Danse Macabre/Scheherazade programs and continued that streak until this Olympics. It's kind of saddening for me because I feel Yuna deserved 2 Olympic Gold medals and had the 2014 winter olympics been held elsewhere, scores would have been different. But in the end, a clean performance is all that matters and she still acts like the Queen of FS no matter what placement she receives. Truly a wonderful athlete and person. Will miss her! :clap:

magicalwords

On the Ice
Yuna appreciation, now, with her last competition over. :cry:
She has never landed off podium in her entire career and never will. A remarkable feat that will probably never be matched again. She skated four perfect programs in her two Olympics. She posted world records again and again throughout her career. A star newcomer from a country unknown to figure skating suddenly emerging to become eventual Olympic champion and to set her foot down as one of the legendaries in skating. It's like a movie. Thank you Yuna!!

vegarin

On the Ice
Yuna appreciation, now, with her last competition over. :cry:
She has never landed off podium in her entire career and never will. A remarkable feat that will probably never be matched again. She skated four perfect programs in her two Olympics. She posted world records again and again throughout her career. A star newcomer from a country unknown to figure skating suddenly emerging to become eventual Olympic champion and to set her foot down as one of the legendaries in skating. It's like a movie. Thank you Yuna!!

my favorite skater did everything she could.. there's nothing she can do about this.. proud of yuna!!! and thank you!!

Ditto. You have my massive respect, as always. And you will go down as one of the, if not the, best in history.