Did the judges overscore Kostner and Sotnikova? | Golden Skate

Did the judges overscore Kostner and Sotnikova?

lupojohn

On the Ice
The fact that they are both so close to Kim Yu-Na and 6 points ahead of Gracie is very surprising. I frankly think the spread between these two and Gracie and Kim Yu-Na and these two should be 2 or 3 points, but not 6.

mwk81

Rinkside
I felt Kostner was properly scored, but Sotnikova seemed to be pretty over scored to me. It didn't have that same graceful quality that Kim and Kostner had.

lupojohn

On the Ice
I'll make my intentions clear: i'm rooting for Gracie to win a medal. No denying that. However, the placements are correct. My issue is the margin. All i'm asking for is that if Gracie hits a clean free skate that she can get on the podium, but can she make up 6 points?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The good thing for Gracie is that she skates after the two women she is trying to catch. If she nails a 7 triple LP and the two ahead of her falter she can easily make up the difference. If Adelina and Caro do six triples clean it will be tough though.

lupojohn

On the Ice
The good thing for Gracie is that she skates after the two women she is trying to catch. If she nails a 7 triple LP and the two ahead of her falter she can easily make up the difference. If Adelina and Caro do six triples clean it will be tough though.

Yes, her position in regards to the skate order is perfect. I hope she can pull it off if Koster and/or Sotnikova open the door for her.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think that the marks were actually fair (except for Lipnitskaya's :disapp: )... As I said in the SP thread, the only thing that makes me curious is the step sequence level... To me it looks like the technical panel absolutely wanted one of the Russian girls up there with the big girls, and so magically gave a level 3 to both Yu-Na and Caro, and then some minutes later a level 4 to Sotnikova ;)

ericka141

On the Ice
I also think Kostner should have been higher than Sotnikova.

For sure. Kostner did a more difficult combination and while both had lovely jumps, Sotnikova's components just weren't as fluid or graceful. Don't understand how she's ahead of Kostner, but at least it's only by .5 of a point or so.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No to Kostner. She deserved every one of those PCS marks. Her program was transcendent. And she brought the content, to boot! To quote one of my faves:

jasonbskates 11:00am via Twitter for iPhone
Too entranced to take a pic of Carolina's performance! She was mesmerizing...into a crazy close second!!!! So deserved!!!

As I said in the Ladies thread, Adelina did a great job and deserved her placement, but her PCS should not match Yuna's and her +GOE was a tad high. I think 70-72 would have been more reasonable.

ANW

On the Ice
well I have a feeling the Asian dominance of last cycle is near its end, we probably have to wait till tomorrow to be sure but I do think the tide has turned.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm a fan of both but I'd say Adelina was over scored and Kostner was not.

I disagree. I saw a fire today from Adelina that I hadn't seen before. Her combo was basically a 4T<<-3T. She is obviously out to prove that she should have been on the gold-medaling Russian Team (although I would have loved to see her skate the SP there, leaving her off made perfect sense). She has skated a lot of great SP's this season but really no perfect LPs so she is going to have to skate her best LP of the year to medal.