Mao Asada: Olympic Thread | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I still can't believe that with a clean SP Mao would still not have been champion. It makes me sad that her skate was not duly awarded. It was beautiful and Yuna had some very kind words to share about Mao's wonderful performance.

After the judging of the SP of the top flight, it was obvious that even clean Mao wouldn't have had the slightest chance. I mean, even if she had been with the elusive 74 points club, she would not have beaten them with her clean free, either. Maybe edged in for a bronze, but even that seems uncertain with Carolina, who they couldn't ignore. (And shouldn't as she was great, too)

mary01

Final Flight
After the judging of the SP of the top flight, it was obvious that even clean Mao wouldn't have had the slightest chance. I mean, even if she had been with the elusive 74 points club, she would not have beaten them with her clean free, either. Maybe edged in for a bronze, but even that seems uncertain with Carolina, who they couldn't ignore. (And shouldn't as she was great, too)

This would just prove that they were set on giving the gold to whoever the judges wanted, and not to the one who truly deserved it, regardless of how anyone skated or achieved!

whatif

Medalist
Yes, looking at the scores across the competition both team and singles, the judges really wanted to see Kostner on that podium. And I can't complain about that.

miki88

Medalist
I don't begruge Carolina's medal. In fact, if it were up to me, I would have given her the gold. She's the only one who gave two inspiring performances. Most ppl on this forum might not agree, but I think Kim deserved her placement.

vegarin

On the Ice
I don't begruge Carolina's medal. In fact, if it were up to me, I would have given her the gold. She's the only one who gave two inspiring performances. Most ppl on this forum might not agree, but I think Kim deserved her placement.

Carolina was fantastic, the best skates I've ever seen her do, and she should've been on the podium, for whichever colour medal. And yeah, it would've been nice to see her duke it out with Yuna for gold when the judging can be trusted, but it's too late now, isn't it?

It's not about the placement. It's about the scores that the skaters were given and how they are just incomprehensible.

andyjo24

Medalist
Does anyone know if Mao is going to retire for good after Worlds? I think I've read somewhere that she might stay. Sorry if I'm wrong...

Barb

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Mao is going to retire for good after Worlds? I think I've read somewhere that she might stay. Sorry if I'm wrong...

I think Mao is not sure yet, but she definitly going to worlds this year.

minze

Medalist
I think Mao is not sure yet, but she definitly going to worlds this year.

Retire Mao Chan and enjoy your success. Go to Bali like you wanted to. Do skating shows and TV appearances. Find a handsome man marry him and have beautiful children.

vegarin

On the Ice
Retire Mao Chan and enjoy your success. Go to Bali like you wanted to. Do skating shows and TV appearances. Find a handsome man marry him and have beautiful children.

Hee! I think there are people shipping her with Dai -- for sure their babies will rule the skating world!

CarneAsada

Medalist
After the SP she said she was done with the sport. But after the FS she said she might want to experience something like that again. While she was struggling and reworking her jumps, lots of people were saying "oh she hasn't improved, what are you talking about" while her hopeful fans were pointing out little things here and there. In Sochi, we saw compared to Vancouver:

She improved her 2A landing enough to attach a 3T on the end.
She brought back her 3S and landed it.
She maintained a good 3Lo.
She reworked her 3F and regained the ability to do a 3F-3Lo.
She brought back her 3Lz (though she never regained the correct edge after 2011 4CC).
She finally landed a clean 3A in the FS (first time since 2011 4CC).

Big improvements on 4 triples (3T, 3S, 3F, 3Lz) plus the 2A and she maintained the other 2 just fine. It's almost sad that she'd retire like this when her hard work post-Vancouver all finally showed and she brought it all to life in one FS. If she isn't injured in the future, I wish she'd show us more. :cry:

miki88

Medalist
Mao's jumps appears much more easy and less strained than in 2010. They did lose some height though. I think being able to land her best 3-3 combo in competition since 2009 and to include 2A-3T was already an improvement. I still think her 3As were best in 2008 but she is also older and a lot of people expected her to fail or thought she should retire. She truly beat the odds.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Mao's jumps appears much more easy and less strained than in 2010. They did lose some height though. I think being able to land her best 3-3 combo in competition since 2009 and to include 2A-3T was already an improvement. I still think her 3As were best in 2008 but she is also older and a lot of people expected her to fail or thought she should retire. She truly beat the odds.
Her jumps in general were best in 2008. 2 triple Axels in a FS, 2 triple triples in a FS, 3F-3Lo all over the place, a 3Lz off the correct edge by the end of that year, a 3S? She had everything that year and more. The amazing part is that in 2014 she not only came close to matching her 2008 form, but she came closer to that perfect FS than she ever managed in 2008.

Barb

Record Breaker
I thought the same after sp, but after lp if she decides to continue I would be not much disappointed :p, I am not expecting olympic gold, but I love her competitive programs too.
And I am with you about Mao+Taka K. :biggrin:

minze

Medalist
After the SP she said she was done with the sport. But after the FS she said she might want to experience something like that again. While she was struggling and reworking her jumps, lots of people were saying "oh she hasn't improved, what are you talking about" while her hopeful fans were pointing out little things here and there. In Sochi, we saw compared to Vancouver:

She improved her 2A landing enough to attach a 3T on the end.
She brought back her 3S and landed it.
She maintained a good 3Lo.
She reworked her 3F and regained the ability to do a 3F-3Lo.
She brought back her 3Lz (though she never regained the correct edge after 2011 4CC).
She finally landed a clean 3A in the FS (first time since 2011 4CC).

Big improvements on 4 jumps (2A, 3T, 3S, 3F, 3Lz) and she maintained the other 2 just fine. It's almost sad that she'd retire like this when her hard work post-Vancouver all finally showed and she brought it all to life in one FS. If she isn't injured in the future, I wish she'd show us more. :cry:

I think if she is able two put two perfect performances at worlds she will be happy with that. After that I don't see her motivation to stay any longer. Money: the girl has so many endorsements, I think she is fine in that arena. World records: she has 3 triple axels in one competition. Medals: she has every color except Olympic gold, which at this point she wont get. To skate for the glory of Japan: she has brought glory to her country.

Her jumps in general were best in 2008. 2 triple Axels in a FS, 2 triple triples in a FS, 3F-3Lo all over the place, a 3Lz off the correct edge by the end of that year, a 3S? She had everything that year and more. The amazing part is that in 2014 she not only came close to matching her 2008 form, but she came closer to that perfect FS than she ever managed in 2008.

Isn't it wonderful that she has been able to grow stronger? That in itself is an achievement.

emma

Record Breaker
^It's remarkable. I'm so impressed and in awe of her hard work and ability. Plus, she has been and is just a beautiful skater - lovely, line, rhythm, knees, toes, blade-to-ice stuff that gives me chills.

miki88

Medalist
You know what annoys me most about the judging? It is that Mao was criticized so much for her edges/UR issues throughout most of her career. In 2007, there was a whole section dedicated to her flutz, when she skated at Skate Canada. Yet, some Russian skaters were given a pass this season over the flaws in their jumps. I remember in an interview with Julia's coach, she talked about Mao's underrotation issues and Carolina's lack of transitions. I never liked coaches criticizing other skaters to the media, but this one irked me because Julia has a poor 2A and a borderline flutz.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You know what annoys me most about the judging? It is that Mao was criticized so much for her edges/UR issues throughout most of her career. In 2007, there was a whole section dedicated to her flutz, when she skated at Skate Canada. Yet, some Russian skaters were given a pass this season over the flaws in their jumps. I remember in an interview with Julia's coach, she talked about Mao's underrotation issues and Carolina's lack of transitions. I never liked coaches criticizing other skaters to the media, but this one irked me because Julia has a poor 2A and a borderline flutz.

Glad you brought that up. Mao was penalized SO heavily in 2007-2009 for her flutz that she had to leave the jump out all together in Vancouver and depend on having three triple axels to make up the gap, which prompted her to strip down and redo her technique in the last few years.

In hindsight, it makes sense why Mao was so stubborn to keep that 3A. It was basically the one jump she didn't have to re-do....but then the jump started to fail her for whatever reason.

And yet our Olympic champion had a flutz and won anyway.