Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

Mao was wonderful, the true winner of the night.

History will look back on Sochi Olympics ladies free skate and will shake its head at ISU, Skating Federations, and their pawn judges that they deprived themselves of celebrating a historical moment in skating history when a lady skater accomplished an 8-triple program for the first time, with wonderful skating and artistry to boot.

How stupid ISU, Skating Feds and pawn judges are to refuse the gift that Mao is.

Beautiful, lovely Mao, the most complete skater ever.

Custom Title
    The only thing that I'm taking away with me from the Sochi Games is Mao Asada's performance. She got lowballed in PCS and that back end triple toe looked okay to me. The 3F-3L was never going to get ratified but even then it looked fine. Close, but fine. I was livid that they kept Mao in the 8s for PCS. WHO DOES THAT TO A WORLD CHAMPION? I'm sorry, but Mao and Kim were fine tuning their components way before Adelina, Yulia and Gracie put on their junior skates. In any case, Mao skated and got her pride back, and the pride of the Japanese nation who had supported her over the years. Even international fans. In the end, that clean, superhuman skate was worth more than any controversial medal.

Champions aren't defined by medals. It's a great reward, but not always that worth it.

(on a different note: I do think that she wouldn't have skated that freely had a medal been at stake. The pressure was too much.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    The only thing that I'm taking away with me from the Sochi Games is Mao Asada's performance. She got lowballed in PCS and that back end triple toe looked okay to me. The 3F-3L was never going to get ratified but even then it looked fine. Close, but fine. I was livid that they kept Mao in the 8s for PCS. WHO DOES THAT TO A WORLD CHAMPION? I'm sorry, but Mao and Kim were fine tuning their components way before Adelina, Yulia and Gracie put on their junior skates. In any case, Mao skated and got her pride back, and the pride of the Japanese nation who had supported her over the years. Even international fans. In the end, that clean, superhuman skate was worth more than any controversial medal.

Champions aren't defined by medals. It's a great reward, but not always that worth it.

(on a different note: I do think that she wouldn't have skated that freely had a medal been at stake. The pressure was too much.)
    Mao lands her jumps on a relatively flat foot (this is often why she doesn't have much speed coming out of her jumps) and backloads (delays) her rotations so you often need slow motion to check her jumps unless they are very obvious URs. The Triple Axel was short as well, but the judges gave her that one. The slow motion made that pretty obvious.

Mao's long program links:

NBC (U.S. only): http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/asa...h-place-finish
    Tumblr (you might need to pause and wait for it to load): http://julia-lipnitskaia.tumblr.com/...e-ever-puts-on

Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Mao lands her jumps on a relatively flat foot (this is often why she doesn't have much speed coming out of her jumps) and backloads (delays) her rotations so you often need slow motion to check her jumps unless they are very obvious URs. The Triple Axel was short as well, but the judges gave her that one. The slow motion made that pretty obvious.
    Oh god, you're really going to talk about UR? Do you want us to talk about flutz and URs that have gone unnoticed at this Olympics? Really?

I kinda love that you're really trying to tear down every great lady skaters, whether it be Mao or Caro or Yuna. At this rate, you're really going to successfully unite Mao and Yuna fans completely in shared displeasure. That would be some feat.

In the end, that clean, superhuman skate was worth more than any controversial medal.
    I agree. And Mao's program here will be watched again and again in amazement throughout skating history. That would be a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    hi-definition digital television and recorders are household items in this day and age. in japan alone, millions of households not only watched the free skate program but recorded it (mao skated three in the morning and viewing percentage was 15%. the rest of japan saw it recorded). i guarantee you millions re-watched every single one of mao's jumps in super slo-mo. and not just mao's jumps. they look at other skater's jumps, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post

The real Olympic moment that I will never forget was made by Mao's FS. I watch her ending over and over and cry again and again.

Custom Title
    I don't think Nater is trying to be a hater . I agree that Mao delays her rotation, but there was a time when delayed rotation was considered beautiful. Lu Chen had similar technique, and it follows from a tradition of wonderful delayed jumps in both singles and pairs. I also agree that it can sometimes lead to underrotations, and thus is less desired in this system. Mao did land the triple axel a little short, but I managed to stop the video right when she landed ( ), and it was definitely within a quarter turn. If you watch the mark on the ice during the replay, you'll see it as well. I also agree with vegarin that the scrutiny applied to Mao's jumps was not consistent with what the rest of the girls got.

Thank you again, Mao, for that special performance!

Nater, can you explain what you mean by landing on a "flat foot"? What is the desired technique? I'm curious and ashamed because I skated for many years, and I clearly don't know how to land jumps...

I am stunned beyond words when I think about Mao's free skate, to able to land all 8 triple, 4 of them in combination, and they include all kind of triples, as well as level 4 on all spins and steps all done within 4 minutes....That was GlORIOUS skate and historic achievement that will not be repeated for many years if not decades to come, and what a better place to make history then at the Olympics again!

Quote Originally Posted by BounceAround View Post
    Nater, can you explain what you mean by landing on a "flat foot"? What is the desired technique? I'm curious and ashamed because I skated for many years, and I clearly don't know how to land jumps...
    I think he means that you are supposed to land on back outside edge when landing. If you land on the flat edge"(on both inside and outside edge) you don't get good flowing landing. I think Mao improved on that when he went to Sato.

Banned
    Russian fan boys owe us an explanation why Mao's 8 triple program lost to that Russian cheater who they claimed to have beaten YU na Kim on technical marks?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliasochi View Post
    Russian fan boys owe us an explanation why Mao's 8 triple program lost to that Russian cheater who they claimed to have beaten YU na Kim on technical marks?
    I am not Russian fan boy, but she lost her free skate in her short programme. Love Mao though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    I am not Russian fan boy, but she lost her free skate in her short programme. Love Mao though.
    How can she lose her free skate in her short if you believe judging is supposed to be independent and objective? Russian fan boys ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliasochi View Post
    How can she lose her free skate in her short if you believe judging is supposed to be independent and objective? Russian fan boys ?
    That's life.

Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    That's life.
    No, no. That's you making an attempt to defend a cheat.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast