Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    After the SP she said she was done with the sport. But after the FS she said she might want to experience something like that again. While she was struggling and reworking her jumps, lots of people were saying "oh she hasn't improved, what are you talking about" while her hopeful fans were pointing out little things here and there. In Sochi, we saw compared to Vancouver:

She improved her 2A landing enough to attach a 3T on the end.
    She brought back her 3S and landed it.
    She maintained a good 3Lo.
    She reworked her 3F and regained the ability to do a 3F-3Lo.
    She brought back her 3Lz (though she never regained the correct edge after 2011 4CC).
    She finally landed a clean 3A in the FS (first time since 2011 4CC).

Big improvements on 4 jumps (2A, 3T, 3S, 3F, 3Lz) and she maintained the other 2 just fine. It's almost sad that she'd retire like this when her hard work post-Vancouver all finally showed and she brought it all to life in one FS. If she isn't injured in the future, I wish she'd show us more.
    I think if she is able two put two perfect performances at worlds she will be happy with that. After that I don't see her motivation to stay any longer. Money: the girl has so many endorsements, I think she is fine in that arena. World records: she has 3 triple axels in one competition. Medals: she has every color except Olympic gold, which at this point she wont get. To skate for the glory of Japan: she has brought glory to her country.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Her jumps in general were best in 2008. 2 triple Axels in a FS, 2 triple triples in a FS, 3F-3Lo all over the place, a 3Lz off the correct edge by the end of that year, a 3S? She had everything that year and more. The amazing part is that in 2014 she not only came close to matching her 2008 form, but she came closer to that perfect FS than she ever managed in 2008.
    Isn't it wonderful that she has been able to grow stronger? That in itself is an achievement.

Custom Title
    ^It's remarkable. I'm so impressed and in awe of her hard work and ability. Plus, she has been and is just a beautiful skater - lovely, line, rhythm, knees, toes, blade-to-ice stuff that gives me chills.

Mashimaro on Ice
    You know what annoys me most about the judging? It is that Mao was criticized so much for her edges/UR issues throughout most of her career. In 2007, there was a whole section dedicated to her flutz, when she skated at Skate Canada. Yet, some Russian skaters were given a pass this season over the flaws in their jumps. I remember in an interview with Julia's coach, she talked about Mao's underrotation issues and Carolina's lack of transitions. I never liked coaches criticizing other skaters to the media, but this one irked me because Julia has a poor 2A and a borderline flutz.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    You know what annoys me most about the judging? It is that Mao was criticized so much for her edges/UR issues throughout most of her career. In 2007, there was a whole section dedicated to her flutz, when she skated at Skate Canada. Yet, some Russian skaters were given a pass this season over the flaws in their jumps. I remember in an interview with Julia's coach, she talked about Mao's underrotation issues and Carolina's lack of transitions. I never liked coaches criticizing other skaters to the media, but this one irked me because Julia has a poor 2A and a borderline flutz.
    Glad you brought that up. Mao was penalized SO heavily in 2007-2009 for her flutz that she had to leave the jump out all together in Vancouver and depend on having three triple axels to make up the gap, which prompted her to strip down and redo her technique in the last few years.

In hindsight, it makes sense why Mao was so stubborn to keep that 3A. It was basically the one jump she didn't have to re-do....but then the jump started to fail her for whatever reason.

And yet our Olympic champion had a flutz and won anyway.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Glad you brought that up. Mao was penalized SO heavily in 2007-2009 for her flutz that she had to leave the jump out all together in Vancouver and depend on having three triple axels to make up the gap and then deciding to strip down and redo her technique in the last few years.

And yet our Olympic champion had a flutz and won anyway.
    Yes, she was getting around -1.5 GOE on every flutz (basically turned her 3fLz into a 3S) so she tried to fix it under Tarasova. It became inconsistent while still occasionally getting '!' calls, and she had to drop it altogether because she started having issues with her flip! Meanwhile Adelina instead of trying to rework her technique just did her usual 3Flutz-3T (with an uncalled < on the toe loop to add insult to injury) and Putin bribed her way to victory. It's infuriating when you think about it.

In hindsight, it makes sense why Mao was so stubborn to keep that 3A. It was basically the one jump she didn't have to re-do....but then the jump started to fail her for whatever reason.
    She redid it anyway. That's why it failed her for the better part of 3 years and was still inconsistent in the last year. Her 3A back then had a longer glide, she shortened the entry a bit when relearning it for 2013.

Rinkside
    I'm a Yuna fan to the core but I thought Mao Asada was the best in the Long program. She's the one who should have got the huge scores. I'm sure it's been said many times already but I had to add my thoughts. Those saying that Kostner ranked with her are just being silly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    I'm a Yuna fan to the core but I thought Mao Asada was the best in the Long program. She's the one who should have got the huge scores. I'm sure it's been said many times already but I had to add my thoughts. Those saying that Kostner ranked with her are just being silly.
    Mao should unquestionably have won the LP. Her scores made me puke, even before the final flight and fiasco to unfold came.

Maybe I was overrating Kostner a bit. So perhaps the fair results would have been:

LP:

1. Mao
    2. Yu Na
    3. Carolina (I previous had her 1st or 2nd and winning overall but reviewing her skate a bit I probably got a bit caught up in the excitement of a clean 7 triple Carolina skate)

-----huge gap----

4. Sotnikova
    5. Gold

and overall:

1. Kim
    2. Kostner
    3. Asada or Sotnikova

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I finally watched Mao's LP, oh my lord. I think she and Carolina were my favorite of the night for sure. I loved Yuna too but Mao - she was the only ballerina i n the competition and then when you combine it with her gutsy technical content, it's just thrilling. It was just about the most heartbreaking Olympics performance since Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold exhibition. I don't know point by point, but for me, Mao had the best LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I finally watched Mao's LP, oh my lord. I think she and Carolina were my favorite of the night for sure. I loved Yuna too but Mao - she was the only ballerina i n the competition and then when you combine it with her gutsy technical content, it's just thrilling. It was just about the most heartbreaking Olympics performance since Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold exhibition. I don't know point by point, but for me, Mao had the best LP.
    Had they scored her correctly in PCS, she would have won the FS.

Custom Title
    Had they scored her correctly in PCS, she would have won the FS.
    Yes, that LP should have won!

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Mao should unquestionably have won the LP. Her scores made me puke, even before the final flight and fiasco to unfold came.

Maybe I was overrating Kostner a bit. So perhaps the fair results would have been:

LP:

1. Mao
    2. Yu Na
    3. Carolina (I previous had her 1st or 2nd and winning overall but reviewing her skate a bit I probably got a bit caught up in the excitement of a clean 7 triple Carolina skate)

-----huge gap----

4. Sotnikova
    5. Gold

and overall:

1. Kim
    2. Kostner
    3. Asada or Sotnikova
    Seeing all Mao, Yuna and Caro up there in whichever order would've been such a wonderful send off to our last generation's finest.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambivalent
    I still can't believe that with a clean SP Mao would still not have been champion. It makes me sad that her skate was not duly awarded. It was beautiful and Yuna had some very kind words to share about Mao's wonderful performance.
    Would you care to say what Yuna said? I don't think I've read those comments until now

Mao's LP was magical. It had everything I ever hoped to see in a skate. And even if it crushed her medal chances, I kind of liked the way her overall competition went. Mao had so many struggles this last 4 years, it's like they all showed in her SP. But Mao improved and fought so much, and it all showed and paid off in her LP. How much more poetic does it get? Plus, it keeps her out of the whole scandal around these Olympics a little, and I'm very glad for that. She should definitly have been 4th in front of Julia and Gracie, but in the end, it doesn't matter. She made history, she gave a skate I (and I'm sure many others) will remember as one of the best of all time for all their lifes, and in all of her interviews now she looks so satisfied and calm. I'm happy for her, and I'm so proud of being a Mao fan

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Would you care to say what Yuna said? I don't think I've read those comments until now

Mao's LP was magical. It had everything I ever hoped to see in a skate. And even if it crushed her medal chances, I kind of liked the way her overall competition went. Mao had so many struggles this last 4 years, it's like they all showed in her SP. But Mao improved and fought so much, and it all showed and paid off in her LP. How much more poetic does it get? Plus, it keeps her out of the whole scandal around these Olympics a little, and I'm very glad for that. She should definitly have been 4th in front of Julia and Gracie, but in the end, it doesn't matter. She made history, she gave a skate I (and I'm sure many others) will remember as one of the best of all time for all their lifes, and in all of her interviews now she looks so satisfied and calm. I'm happy for her, and I'm so proud of being a Mao fan
    I believe Mao herself said, in an interview with Shizuka, that had it not been for her SP, she may not have had the LP that she did.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Plus, it keeps her out of the whole scandal around these Olympics a little, and I'm very glad for that.
    That's this competition's silver lining. Had she won, it might be Mao receiving all the hate. Instead, she retires as this underscored angel and a newly minted legend without the OGM, a fitting successor to her idol Midori Ito.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast