Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 271

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

  1. #211
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Would you care to say what Yuna said? I don't think I've read those comments until now

    Mao's LP was magical. It had everything I ever hoped to see in a skate. And even if it crushed her medal chances, I kind of liked the way her overall competition went. Mao had so many struggles this last 4 years, it's like they all showed in her SP. But Mao improved and fought so much, and it all showed and paid off in her LP. How much more poetic does it get? Plus, it keeps her out of the whole scandal around these Olympics a little, and I'm very glad for that. She should definitly have been 4th in front of Julia and Gracie, but in the end, it doesn't matter. She made history, she gave a skate I (and I'm sure many others) will remember as one of the best of all time for all their lifes, and in all of her interviews now she looks so satisfied and calm. I'm happy for her, and I'm so proud of being a Mao fan
    You put it very beautifully.

  2. #212
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    205
    The fact that Mao's PCS in LP was so low just makes me mad!

    Her second mark should be the highest of the night.

  3. #213
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by chleopoco
    I believe Mao herself said, in an interview with Shizuka, that had it not been for her SP, she may not have had the LP that she did.
    It would suit her. She's that kind of an honest person (for the lack of a better word) towards herself and others

    Quote Originally Posted by JayW
    The fact that Mao's PCS in LP was so low just makes me mad!
    But Mao is happy. Her marks are crap, but no PCS in the world could have made her as happy as her skating to her full potential anyway. Happy Mao is the most important part about this
    (And CarneAsada is right, looking at everyones popularity right now, Mao was never so high up )

    And thanks, StellaCampo!

  4. #214
    On the Ice aa456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Would you care to say what Yuna said? I don't think I've read those comments until now

    Mao's LP was magical. It had everything I ever hoped to see in a skate. And even if it crushed her medal chances, I kind of liked the way her overall competition went. Mao had so many struggles this last 4 years, it's like they all showed in her SP. But Mao improved and fought so much, and it all showed and paid off in her LP. How much more poetic does it get? Plus, it keeps her out of the whole scandal around these Olympics a little, and I'm very glad for that. She should definitly have been 4th in front of Julia and Gracie, but in the end, it doesn't matter. She made history, she gave a skate I (and I'm sure many others) will remember as one of the best of all time for all their lifes, and in all of her interviews now she looks so satisfied and calm. I'm happy for her, and I'm so proud of being a Mao fan
    I don't remember her exact words but I think she said that Mao has been the most memorable competitor for her since they've been competing for so long. She watched Mao's long program when she was getting ready for hers and she choked up when she saw Mao crying after her skate.

  5. #215
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    You know what annoys me most about the judging? It is that Mao was criticized so much for her edges/UR issues throughout most of her career. In 2007, there was a whole section dedicated to her flutz, when she skated at Skate Canada. Yet, some Russian skaters were given a pass this season over the flaws in their jumps. I remember in an interview with Julia's coach, she talked about Mao's underrotation issues and Carolina's lack of transitions. I never liked coaches criticizing other skaters to the media, but this one irked me because Julia has a poor 2A and a borderline flutz.
    Yes! Mao has to swallow those harsh scrutiny on flutz and UR all by herself, and she worked on those jumps for years. Now the Olympics just selectively gives Russian skaters free passes. How unfair!

  6. #216
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by aa456 View Post
    I don't remember her exact words but I think she said that Mao has been the most memorable competitor for her since they've been competing for so long. She watched Mao's long program when she was getting ready for hers and she choked up when she saw Mao crying after her skate.
    How lovely to hear that from YuNa.

    I agree that Mao might not have had that astonishing free skate if she had done well in the short program. It's a paradox. but maybe the old song "Me and Bobby McGee" was right: freedom's just another word for "nothing left to lose." Would she have been too tight to cast her fate to the wind as she did? Whatever led to that incredible, literally awesome free skate, we will indeed always remember it, and as Li'Kitsu says, how much more poetic does it get?

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Yes! Mao has to swallow those harsh scrutiny on flutz and UR all by herself, and she worked on those jumps for years. Now the Olympics just selectively gives Russian skaters free passes. How unfair!
    it should again be her lack of fair skin nor hot body. poor asada..

  8. #218
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by aa456
    I don't remember her exact words but I think she said that Mao has been the most memorable competitor for her since they've been competing for so long. She watched Mao's long program when she was getting ready for hers and she choked up when she saw Mao crying after her skate.
    Thank you!
    Aww, Yuna, such a beautiful woman inside and outside. It's still not getting into my head this was the last time seeing those two amazing women at the same competition.

  9. #219
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    A long interview Mao x Shizuka
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDok15QFlo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TV5HcF5OA

    Daisuke, Yuzuru & Co. on Mao- All the Japanese representatives in the studio
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szyl5qAq01k
    [/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    Interview Mao x Shizuka
    Difference between SP & LP: I was totally out of control of my own mind and body in the SP. After the SP coach Sato advised me. You emailed me, too, Shizuka. But I was thinking all sorts of things. I just decided to go for it all in the LP.

    How did you do it?: Obviously this is not what I wanted, but in retrospect the disastrous SP had to happen for me to skate like I did in the LP. While I feel a sense of regret ("moushiwakenai" = "Sorry (I couldn't deliver)") about the result as a nation's representative (Shizuka shakes her head), but I couldn't be more satisfied about what I achieved this time.

    What makes you love skating?: (After a long pause) I skate for a moment like last night.

    How do you rank your LP in Sochi?: Definitely top 5. But given how much was going on mentally, I'd say that's my number 1. 10 out of 10.

    Shizuka then said the last time she'd seen Mao skate "in the zone" was 2008 Worlds LP. But last night was just of of this world.

    In the second half, a clip of Daisuke and Yuzu cheering shows. Then Shizuka shares how she knew Mao would be the next generation of powerhouse when she saw her the first time.

    On Worlds: I want to put SP and LP together.

    What do you want to tell the your juniors?: The Olympics is just so magical. It's hard. I hope I showed them a little bit how rewarding it can be. I hope I contributed a little bit.

    Then Shizuka candidly shares about the 2006 season where she competed with Mao. Usually calm and collected Shizuka almost looks teary saying how she learned so much from Mao that season, how important it is to enjoy being on the ice. And this time she wanted to pay back to Mao, which is why she emailed Mao after SP, to tell her how a 15-yo Mao made her feel that way and to remind Mao how her 15-yo self used to be.

    On the future: After the SP I swore I just had it with this sport. But the feeling I got after the LP... I don't know. I might get tempted to do this again.

    On Yuna: She and I have shared ups and downs since Juniors, always under the spotlight, always trying our best. For both me, and I'm sure it's the same for Yuna, this Olympics was about a challenge for ourselves. And we both did it. And I'm so glad.

    ----------------------------------------
    What a great champion Mao is!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    Thank you, hikki, for the translation. This is a balm for my heart.
    I just love Mao's positive attitude to skating (that she appears to share with her teammates), and I love even her stubbornness with the 3A.
    I wish her all the best for Worlds.
    You're very welcome, bartlebooth
    Just bumping this to get more attention on my post. No, since quite a few of you mentioned Mao was able to perform the BEST LP because she had nothing to lose, I just wanted to confirm yes she herself indeed said that might have been the case.

    I've been watching her Rachmaninov on a Japanese website with commentaries from all over the world. China had Lu Chen and she was ECSTATIC, saying how much she admires Mao and how she's made history, overcoming the pressure. Lulu said the scores don't matter at all at this point and this performance has made history! The Korean commentators were wonderful as well. I'm gonna check out the French and Italian

    What a phenomenal performance. I can't get over it!!!

  10. #220
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    990
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    I've been watching her Rachmaninov on a Japanese website with commentaries from all over the world. China had Lu Chen and she was ECSTATIC, saying how much she admires Mao and how she's made history, overcoming the pressure. Lulu said the scores don't matter at all at this point and this performance has made history! The Korean commentators were wonderful as well. I'm gonna check out the French and Italian
    Do you have a link to the site with all the different commentaries?

  11. #221
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    554
    http://www.nicovideo.jp/
    You've gotta register first. After that try the following links:

    CCTV China: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22941081
    Tarasova's commentary: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22935524
    British: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22934439
    French: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22934605
    Italian: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22946180
    Canada's CBC: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22936534
    No commentary: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22935292
    Korean: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22935160

    Failing that you can type 浅田真央 in the search box so it hits more than typing it in English.
    The subtitles are in Japanese so I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy these unless you can read Japanese. Enjoy!!

  12. #222
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    990
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    Failing that you can type 浅田真央 in the search box so it hits more than typing it in English.
    The subtitles are in Japanese so I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy these unless you can read Japanese. Enjoy!!
    Ah, nicovideo? Thanks. I'd been longing to hear TAT sobbing in the booth. And I can make nothing of anything not kanji in the subtitles but I wouldn't need it for the Italian, Chinese, or the Russian at least.

  13. #223
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    This is a translated excerpt of posts in 2channel, a very famous anonymous message board in Japan. The selection basically centers on 2channel posters commenting on famous people who wrote on twitter and such about Mao's performance:

    http://majide2ch.blogspot.jp/2014/02...asada-did.html

    Everyone cried.

    BTW:

    Asashoryu is a very famous retired sumo wrestler from Mongol
    FIFI_Egypt is an Egyptian who works in Japan as a television personality and can speak Japanese
    Matsuoka Shuzo is a former professional tennis player who nows works as a sports commentator, and is known for a very demonstrative style of cheering for athletes (like Tat)

  14. #224
    One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Any Other World
    Posts
    864
    Seeing/Hearing Rachmaninoffs Piano Concert in the Closing Ceremony - I saw Mao in my head skating without boundaries again! I know I should just enjoy the beautiful skate, but it still annoys me that she only got 142,71 for it.

  15. #225
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    30
    mao is an icon of figure skating and has done so much to boost the sport's popularity she deserved to have her most spectacular performance judged as such. i thought she should have won the freeskate with a score rivaling yuna's in vancouver. i know in the months and years to come, her performance would be one i would watch over and over again on youtube.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •