Mao Asada: Olympic Thread | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
People often make empty exaggerated claims about skaters' popularity in other countries I find. Give me the receipts. And I don't mean a few Japanese fans spazzing over her online.
Oh come on. The schoolyard challenge to "prove it"?!

If I cannot name someone who swam across the English Channel, does that mean nobody has achieved it? -_-
Or how about I ask for your proof, that "people often make exaggerated claims about skaters' popularity in other countries"?
It's all pointless. If you are sceptical of such a claim, then just say so.

Anyway, it does seems to me skaters are well received in Japan no matter who they are or where they come from. For my evidence, I point to the cheering and encouragement they've received at every competition I've seen in Japan, if not actual (Japanese) fans waving banners for them. I've never seen a skater "badly" received, except perhaps by certain factions of Takahashi fans... aimed at Hanyu...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
People often make empty exaggerated claims about skaters' popularity in other countries I find. Give me the receipts. And I don't mean a few Japanese fans spazzing over her online.

She's been invited to The Ice (Mao Asada's ice show) several times. So I would think that would indicate some popularity in Japan.

I noticed during the aftermath of the earthquake and the tsunami, many skaters from other countries sent messages and other support to their Japanese fans. I particularly remember that Meryl and Charlie felt a strong link to fans in Japan. From what I've seen over the years, Japanese fans are knowledgeable about and appreciative of skating in general, not just skating in Japan. A fair number of non-Japanese skaters seem to be invited to skate in Japanese ice shows, for example. And of course, decades ago, they were devoted fans of Janet Lynn from her skate in the Sapporo Olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I noticed during the aftermath of the earthquake and the tsunami, many skaters from other countries sent messages and other support to their Japanese fans. I particularly remember that Meryl and Charlie felt a strong link to fans in Japan. From what I've seen over the years, Japanese fans are knowledgeable about and appreciative of skating in general, not just skating in Japan. A fair number of non-Japanese skaters seem to be invited to skate in Japanese ice shows, for example. And of course, decades ago, they were devoted fans of Janet Lynn from her skate in the Sapporo Olympics.

They also come to competitions in the U.S. Granted it wasn't a huge number, but was struck but the fact there were Japanese fans AT U.S. Nationals, where there aren't even any Japanese skaters.

They also come to competitions in the U.S. Granted it wasn't a huge number, but was struck but the fact there were Japanese fans AT U.S. Nationals, where there aren't even any Japanese skaters.

Really? That's very impressive!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Really? That's very impressive!

Yes! I actually bumped into some Japanese fans who I actually met at Skate America a year ago at one of the men's practices. I think one of them does live in the U.S. (San Jose, IIRC), but the others definitely came over from Japan. One of them was at Japanese nationals, so I got to pick her brain about that. :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyway, it does seems to me skaters are well received in Japan no matter who they are or where they come from. For my evidence, I point to the cheering and encouragement they've received at every competition I've seen in Japan, if not actual (Japanese) fans waving banners for them.

Yulia received standing ovations from the entire arena at GPF...BOTH skates! It was an amazing display of sportsmanship and appreciation for this sport and the hard work that goes into it. She has tons of fans from Japan and that was evident on her YouTube videos.
Here is proof from a few Japanese artists who have a series of pictures that she herself acknowledges and puts on her VK page. My avatar is one too:)
http://e-shuushuu.net/images/2014-02-25-635474.jpeg

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Yulia received standing ovations from the entire arena at GPF...BOTH skates! It was an amazing display of sportsmanship and appreciation for this sport and the hard work that goes into it. She has tons of fans from Japan and that was evident on her YouTube videos.
Here is proof from a few Japanese artists who have a series of pictures that she herself acknowledges and puts on her VK page. My avatar is one too:)
http://e-shuushuu.net/images/2014-02-25-635474.jpeg

Do you have the link for Adelina/Yulia's VK pages? And I also thought is was notable that Japanese crowds, arguably among the most knowledgeable, gave Yulia standing ovations when she was probably Mao's greatest threat at the GPF.

I just have a question: People keep saying that the crowds in Russia were horrible but I heard them cheering extremely loudly for Mao so what was so horrible?

miki88

Medalist
From live reports I've heard, they weren't so kind during her SP. There were groups of people walking out in the middle of her program. :( However, her phenomenal free skate won the respect and admiration of the crowd.

pec0

Match Penalty
There have been Sotonikova thread in Skating category of 2-chan since 2010. The thread is renewed after 1000 comments. Current thread is no.3. The thread title of the first was interestingly 'Sotonikova, possible gold medalist of Soti Olympics'. There have always been anti-Asada and anti-Kim thread but first Anti-Sotonikova thread was created 2014 Feb 25 and it has only 42 comments while anti-Asada or Kim thread never take more than a day or two to correct 1000 comments shortly after big events. And most comments in Anti-Soto threads are not anti but support Sotonikova's gold medal because of original base points higher than Kim, and her execution of components was better.
I searched Japanese blogs which does not paste strangers twitter. They wonder Sotonikova and Kim's FS score are higher than Asada's FS. I do not understand neither.
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/special/sochi/figureskate/women/score
It can be auto-translated.
As for non-skating fans, Japan has bad reputation of loving Kawaii things. Putin-Sotonikova photo is very popular.