Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

Custom Title
    I wish Mao skate the lights out in the World, create three records and win the Gold!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Mao went to the Foreign Correspondents' Club in Tokyo straight after arriving back in Japan to take questions from the media:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFPotnkB8jU

Her comments about Mori were really funny. She basically objected to his comments, but in such a sweet, sweet way that Mr. Mori, upon watching this interview, will probably just hang his swollen old head in shame like a little boy.

Mao is looking as free and joyful as she used to look when she was 15-years-old! Luv her!!
    Umm.. what does she say? There is no subtitles.

Edit: Nevermind. Stupid me.

She seems to say exact same thing as Yuna 2010. She wants to focus on World first then will decide her future.

Custom Title
    I hope that if she does stay, she'll consider using new choreographers. Lori and Tatiana sound like wonderful people. I remember Mao said that Lori took her canoeing in Canada and it sounded like an all-around delightful experience, but after she gave Mao Mirai's old short program last season I was just .

Or maybe Mao can be Lori's new Carolina .

Banned
    wow,suddenly the villain is changed from Asada to Sotonikova. please stop using her name or pretend to be japanese figure skate fan to discount Sotonikova. because Sotonikova is popular in Japan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pec0 View Post
    Sotonikova is popular in Japan.
    People often make empty exaggerated claims about skaters' popularity in other countries I find. Give me the receipts. And I don't mean a few Japanese fans spazzing over her online.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    People often make empty exaggerated claims about skaters' popularity in other countries I find. Give me the receipts. And I don't mean a few Japanese fans spazzing over her online.
    Oh come on. The schoolyard challenge to "prove it"?!

If I cannot name someone who swam across the English Channel, does that mean nobody has achieved it? -_-
    Or how about I ask for your proof, that "people often make exaggerated claims about skaters' popularity in other countries"?
    It's all pointless. If you are sceptical of such a claim, then just say so.

Anyway, it does seems to me skaters are well received in Japan no matter who they are or where they come from. For my evidence, I point to the cheering and encouragement they've received at every competition I've seen in Japan, if not actual (Japanese) fans waving banners for them. I've never seen a skater "badly" received, except perhaps by certain factions of Takahashi fans... aimed at Hanyu...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    She's been invited to The Ice (Mao Asada's ice show) several times. So I would think that would indicate some popularity in Japan.

Custom Title
    I noticed during the aftermath of the earthquake and the tsunami, many skaters from other countries sent messages and other support to their Japanese fans. I particularly remember that Meryl and Charlie felt a strong link to fans in Japan. From what I've seen over the years, Japanese fans are knowledgeable about and appreciative of skating in general, not just skating in Japan. A fair number of non-Japanese skaters seem to be invited to skate in Japanese ice shows, for example. And of course, decades ago, they were devoted fans of Janet Lynn from her skate in the Sapporo Olympics.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I noticed during the aftermath of the earthquake and the tsunami, many skaters from other countries sent messages and other support to their Japanese fans. I particularly remember that Meryl and Charlie felt a strong link to fans in Japan. From what I've seen over the years, Japanese fans are knowledgeable about and appreciative of skating in general, not just skating in Japan. A fair number of non-Japanese skaters seem to be invited to skate in Japanese ice shows, for example. And of course, decades ago, they were devoted fans of Janet Lynn from her skate in the Sapporo Olympics.
    They also come to competitions in the U.S. Granted it wasn't a huge number, but was struck but the fact there were Japanese fans AT U.S. Nationals, where there aren't even any Japanese skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    They also come to competitions in the U.S. Granted it wasn't a huge number, but was struck but the fact there were Japanese fans AT U.S. Nationals, where there aren't even any Japanese skaters.
    Really? That's very impressive!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Really? That's very impressive!
    Yes! I actually bumped into some Japanese fans who I actually met at Skate America a year ago at one of the men's practices. I think one of them does live in the U.S. (San Jose, IIRC), but the others definitely came over from Japan. One of them was at Japanese nationals, so I got to pick her brain about that.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Anyway, it does seems to me skaters are well received in Japan no matter who they are or where they come from. For my evidence, I point to the cheering and encouragement they've received at every competition I've seen in Japan, if not actual (Japanese) fans waving banners for them.
    Yulia received standing ovations from the entire arena at GPF...BOTH skates! It was an amazing display of sportsmanship and appreciation for this sport and the hard work that goes into it. She has tons of fans from Japan and that was evident on her YouTube videos.
    Here is proof from a few Japanese artists who have a series of pictures that she herself acknowledges and puts on her VK page. My avatar is one too
    http://e-shuushuu.net/images/2014-02-25-635474.jpeg

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Yulia received standing ovations from the entire arena at GPF...BOTH skates! It was an amazing display of sportsmanship and appreciation for this sport and the hard work that goes into it. She has tons of fans from Japan and that was evident on her YouTube videos.
    Here is proof from a few Japanese artists who have a series of pictures that she herself acknowledges and puts on her VK page. My avatar is one too
    http://e-shuushuu.net/images/2014-02-25-635474.jpeg
    Do you have the link for Adelina/Yulia's VK pages? And I also thought is was notable that Japanese crowds, arguably among the most knowledgeable, gave Yulia standing ovations when she was probably Mao's greatest threat at the GPF.

I just have a question: People keep saying that the crowds in Russia were horrible but I heard them cheering extremely loudly for Mao so what was so horrible?

Mashimaro on Ice
    From live reports I've heard, they weren't so kind during her SP. There were groups of people walking out in the middle of her program. :( However, her phenomenal free skate won the respect and admiration of the crowd.

Banned
    There have been Sotonikova thread in Skating category of 2-chan since 2010. The thread is renewed after 1000 comments. Current thread is no.3. The thread title of the first was interestingly 'Sotonikova, possible gold medalist of Soti Olympics'. There have always been anti-Asada and anti-Kim thread but first Anti-Sotonikova thread was created 2014 Feb 25 and it has only 42 comments while anti-Asada or Kim thread never take more than a day or two to correct 1000 comments shortly after big events. And most comments in Anti-Soto threads are not anti but support Sotonikova's gold medal because of original base points higher than Kim, and her execution of components was better.
    I searched Japanese blogs which does not paste strangers twitter. They wonder Sotonikova and Kim's FS score are higher than Asada's FS. I do not understand neither.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/specia...te/women/score
    It can be auto-translated.
    As for non-skating fans, Japan has bad reputation of loving Kawaii things. Putin-Sotonikova photo is very popular.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast