Mao Asada: Olympic Thread | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

Mafke

Medalist
I've never been a fan but her free skate was completely awesome and the skate of the night (or whole olympics) for me.

It was really more than the sum of its parts (which is unfortunately absolutely not rewarded in IJS).

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
She's my favorite skater, but that doesn't mean I'm not capable of looking at what a skater brought to the ice and fairly evaluating his or her performance.

Her freeskate was underscored, period. She lost out on GOE that she rightly deserved. Everything she did was massive. She skated lights out and was just on another level.

I said on another thread that for me her freeskate portrayed the journey of her entire career as a skater. I stand by that. It was superb. It was excellence. It was just so many things for me, and I know it will be one of those great performances I'll recall with fondness through the years.

Hell yes, she was underscored. First, she didn't receive any gifts with her SP scores, but there, hey, she failed to deliver. Then, she skated absolutely lights out in her FS, landed 8 triples and was criminally underrated especially in PCS. Come on, she got 69 and Julia Lipnitskaya got 70. As for the underrotations, I saw the slo-mo only once but the 3F-3Lo seemed okay to me. Honestly, I don't think she would have made it to the podium anyway, more like in 4th, but still it doesn't make sense.

hurrah

Medalist
It was really more than the sum of its parts (which is unfortunately absolutely not rewarded in IJS).

Actually, the parts don't seem to be rewarded with any kind of regularity either... but I agree with you, Mao's performance was epic.

MasterB

Final Flight
She made me cry and I never cry.

She is only 23, I hope she changes her mind and goes for another 4more years. Besides, she will make gazillion monies.

ks777

Record Breaker
I also never cry but I cried with her. The only other time I cried was when Michelle skated Fields of Gold at 2002 Olympics.

emma

Record Breaker
Well, I can be a bit of a crier - but, i wept with Mao at the end of that performance both times that I watch it! Congratulations Mao - spirit of a true champion, and brave, brave young woman!

skateluver

Rinkside
So wonderful!! As a long time fan of Mao's, this for me was the best Olympic moment!! So perfect and should have won the Ladie's free program for sure.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Mao was simply the best! The most brave, persistent, and captivating skater of the night. Last night, she perfected the balance between artistry and atheticism. I hope she has no regrets.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. It was the skate of the night. She did 8 triples. Some were called for URs, but still... Her footwork was incredible as was everything else about her skating.

traz66

Rinkside
So so beautiful! Add me to the list of those fans in tears at the end of that performance.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I don't know if it's just the audio feed; but if this was anywhere else, there would have been non-stop cheer from the moment she landed her last triple (3L) until the end of the program. The final minute reminded me of Michelle's Tosca at 04 Nationals, even more so considering the circumstances.

ps: There is no sound on Chrome, but it played fine on Firefox and android. Maybe it's just my computer.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
For some time I have been bothered by the fact that figure skating is a sport with winners and losers. This is a massive constraint on the expression of artistry. Mao's free skate illustrates this point in the most ironic and poignant manner. Had she not had that 55 something points in the SP, I don't know if we would ever have had this privilege to see her perform her dream free skate. Neither she nor viewers were concerned about winning any longer. She just wanted to express herself and the music with her skating. I have watched the BBC broadcast of Mao's FS over and over again. They showed it during the 6 minute practice of the final group with no commentary. Every time I come to the step sequence I get tearful. Frederic Ashton, the choreographer, once said of Margot Fonteyn that she makes you want to cry when you see her dance. That's the feeling I get when I see Mao's FS at Sochi.

Krislite

Medalist
Her free flowing tears at the end made me cry. :cry: She was looking up, too, perhaps thinking of her mother. What a beautiful moment for her.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
bartlebooth: for UR, she was no more underrotated than the Russians. And she got an edge call when they didn't. I just don't get how a fs with 8 triples (every freaking one), the best step sequence, remarkable spins, and clean edges gets lower than a sloppy step out.

What she did that night makes me think that figure skating should have two more medals: one for short program and one for free skate. Hey, gymnastics has them for individual events, why not figure skating? Whoever wins SP or FS gets medals for those individual events...and whoever has the best total scores from SP+FS events combined gets the "all-around" medals.

And yes, I know gymnastics has individual events and all arounds separately but skating did take notes from their competitions by having a team event.

That skate is going to be the one I remember. I cried with her. I cry at everything but it still meant something to cry with her. For me she was simply the best.

I can't wait to see Asada at Worlds. I know she's still got it and got it in her. She just blew everyone else away

LiLiGirl1

Rinkside
I haven't seen her program yet but I am crying just reading all of these wonderful comments. I saw Mao skate at Skate Canada in 2007 and she was wonderful!
Can't wait to actually see this program! Best of luck to her in her future endeavors.