Triumph & Heartbreak in the Ladies' SP - Your thoughts? | Golden Skate

Triumph & Heartbreak in the Ladies' SP - Your thoughts?

prettykeys

Medalist
  • I'm super happy for YuNa. She skated a clean, exquisite SP. :love: That was all I really asked for from the skating gods! She looked soo nervous in the warm-up and beginning but she got through and cracked some smiles. No matter what the ultimate outcome tomorrow, I will cherish this as part of her last competition.
  • Personally, I have been really annoyed at the lack of edge calls on Lipnitskaia's 3Lz's but seeing how heavy she looked leading up to her skate and looking so dejected in the K&C, I wish we could trade a clean 3F (=clean program) for an edge call on her 3Lz so we could spare her being so upset. So much pressure, skating at the Olympics at home at the tender age of 15.
  • Carolina Kostner was simply amazing and looked relaxed and engaged. So glad she brought back her lovely 3F-3T and finally has a good performance at the Olympics. :)
  • To be honest, I was chatting with some other fans live during the event and I predicted that Mao would make a (major) mistake, although I didn't expect her to unravel to that extent. She looked unsure and the crowd was going crazy for Adelina right before her. She had the toughest draw of the event, IMO. I hope she is able to put it behind her and skate her heart out in the LP.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
:)
Anne-Line Gjersem making it to the FS
Elene Gedevanishvili holding it together
Good effort overall from Team USA
Yu-na Kim nailing a solid skate, in spite of nerves and pressure
Carolina Kostner going for 3F-3T
Adelina Sotnikova nailing it (huuuge combo)

:cry:
Team Japan bombing - poor Mao, that reminded me of Brian Joubert in Vancouver - talk about wanting it too much
Julia Lipnitskaya falling - poor thing, she seemed so hard on herself

:confused:
Judges were not homogeneous with scorings

soaringsea

Spectator
Overall, I can't believe that tomorrow will be the last time that we potentially see such amazing skaters such as Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Suzuki, etc. We've lived with them (esp. Yuna and Mao) since 2005, and to think this will be the last farewell is bittersweet.

1) Yuna has nerves of steel. Honestly, who else, on the grandest of stages with the most immense pressure on her shoulders, can step up and deliver a stunning skate as this? Also, I think most people don't realize that it's much easier to perform to a naturally more extroverted piece with wild movements and fast tempos (something like the Carmen or Yuna's old Bond medley) and FAR FAR FAR more difficult to control your nerves and perform to something as elegant and serene as Send in the Clowns or even Mao's Chopin Nocturne. Kim will go down as one of the best ever, and will (most likely...knock on wood) end her career without ever having finished off the podium!

2) Mao. I feel for her. I was never her biggest fan, but she's a legend in this sport. She is exquisite, and I hope she can turn it around to deliver a great LP. People need to stop bashing her - she will go down in the history of this sport as one of the greats. After watching her skate, I still felt that I'd rather watch Mao underwhelming performances over Adelina's or Julia's current presentations.

3) Carolina! Such fantastic skating! I hope she can fight her LP demons and battle Yuna for the gold!

Tomorrow's going to be great! Let's send off these legendary skaters with the proper respect and accolade that they deserve - no bashing, please.

MiRé

Match Penalty
1. Yuna's win at 2013 was definitely worth it, seeing all 3 ladies being qualified for FS at SOchi. Even if Yuna doesn't win, I think what she accomplished for herself and her junior skaters are amazing.
2. I'm glad Carolina had a good skate, and I hope she gains confidence from the results of SP, and doesn't let....2010 happen again.
3. I'm happy with Julia's score. It should have been lower since her 3Flz wasn't called, but her score will make her challenge herself even more for FS. Perhaps she'll bring out a clean FS.
4. Mao Asada has been building everything for Sochi, and it was pretty hard seeing her after the score was announced. I hope she will deliver a fantastic program tomorrow. Ice is slippery and anything can happen. I wouldn't put down her for OGM, but possibly OBM.

Becki

Medalist
1. Yuna's win at 2013 was definitely worth it, seeing all 3 ladies being qualified for FS at SOchi. Even if Yuna doesn't win, I think what she accomplished for herself and her junior skaters are amazing.
2. I'm glad Carolina had a good skate, and I hope she gains confidence from the results of SP, and doesn't let....2010 happen again.
3. I'm happy with Julia's score. It should have been lower since her 3Flz wasn't called, but her score will make her challenge herself even more for FS. Perhaps she'll bring out a clean FS.
4. Mao Asada has been building everything for Sochi, and it was pretty hard seeing her after the score was announced. I hope she will deliver a fantastic program tomorrow. Ice is slippery and anything can happen. I wouldn't put down her for OGM, but possibly OBM.

If Mao comes up from 16th to get a OBM, that would be the story of the games. Honestly, if that happened, it would be amazing. But then again, it would take a perfect skate from Mao and people above her to do quite poorly. I don't know if I want that tho...

Amei

Record Breaker
- I feel so sad for Julia she has been so consistent all season without any major errors and when it happens it's at the Olympics, the kiss& cry - she looked so heartbroken. But I hope that she takes that sadness and pours it into her FS; her FS is made for the kind of emotion that she must be feeling tonight/tomorrow (is it Thursday in Russia already?)

- I was sad after Julia's kiss& cry, after Mao's I was toast. Regardless of my preference for skaters - I don't enjoy, especially at the Olympics, watching anybody have one of their worst skates. I love to watch Mao skate except for that 3A and while most everyone has been saying that jump was going to ruin her, it still hurt to watch it come true. But it felt like after that happened that Mao's heart left the ice, it didn't seem like she was pouring everything into her skate and she was just going through the motions.

*I hope both she and Julia skate insanely good tomorrow and get a little redemption, and maybe Mao can get into the top 10 (top 5 if she throws a successful 3a) and maybe Julia can medal. She's in 5th and if anyone can make up 10 points with her competitors skating clean - it's Julia with that Schindler's list FS (cough *especially in Russia and NBC hyping her up so much* cough)

- Yuna is a great skater - still not my cup of tea and I want someone else to win OGM