Reaction to Mao's SP | Golden Skate

Reaction to Mao's SP

tokugawaice

Rinkside
So like many of you I was absolutely shocked and devastated when Mao bombed the SP completely... she was at a loss of words too:

"My timing was off. I couldn't move the way I wanted to out there. The moment after the Axel, I knew something wasn't right. I couldn't do what I visualised," said Asada, whose score was nearly 17 points off her season best.

"I lost the fight within me. It was all mental."

"I didn't skate anywhere near as well as I could. I don't know what to make of this now. All I can do is give it everything I have tomorrow. I can't comprehend any of this,"

"I couldn't do any of the things I've been working on in training. Once I started the programme, I couldn't control my emotions and my body. My only option is to skate the free to the best of my ability."

source: http://asia.eurosport.com/figure-skating/asada-s-triple-axel-gamble-backfires_sto4144115/story.shtml

I just hope Mao can just have the skate of her life tomorrow and end the Olympics on a high note. Like I was saying in another thread, if Mao can score 150+ and the top 3 score below 130 then Mao can still win the OGM :biggrin:!

Praying to the skating gods tonight.. :bow:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
"I lost the fight within me. It was all mental."

I just hope Mao can just have the skate of her life tomorrow and end the Olympics on a high note.

I hope she can do like Jeremy Abbott, but attacking everything since she says it was a mental issue.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Good that she wants to fight and pinpointed what went wrong. I thought she was actually really injured because doubling a triple loop was almost too unbelievable.

Becki

Medalist
I actually threw the F-bomb after I saw her mark. I was just shocked, my stream froze so I didn't know she missed her combo. Damn, I hope she redeems herself tomorrow.

Realistically, if everyone screws up, she has a chance at top 5. If everyone skates lights out, then she'll probably be in top 10. Aiya, regardless of placement, Mao Asada is a legend.

tokugawaice

Rinkside
It's also interesting to me that Mao didn't even seem sad, I think she was just shell-shocked and wasn't able to absorb and comprehend *** just happened to her

UnChosen

On the Ice
I feel kind of sad for Mao...but not that sad because I was building up myself to expect this.

Let's be realistic here, Mao is entering this Olympics with only two truly secure triple jumps (3F, 3R) and no secure 3-3. The pressure on her must be enormous whether the other skaters skates cleanly or not.

Krislite

Medalist
Good that she wants to fight and pinpointed what went wrong. I thought she was actually really injured because doubling a triple loop was almost too unbelievable.

She popped the 3Loop last year at Worlds SP.

Bartek

On the Ice
I feel kind of sad for Mao...but not that sad because I was building up myself to expect this.

Let's be realistic here, Mao is entering this Olympics with only two truly secure triple jumps (3F, 3R) and no secure 3-3. The pressure on her must be enormous whether the other skaters skates cleanly or not.

Actually in practice she's been nailing all the triples easily including the axel and the triple-triple. One day she was reported to land cleanly 9 triple axels out of ten attempts.

Amei

Record Breaker
I feel that Mao probably will at least end up in the Top 10, and hopefully for both her and Julia - they skate their best tomorrow and both move up in the standings and can leave the Olympics on a high note. And that Mao can leave her career on a high note and that she can nail that 3A.

CarneAsada

Medalist

I'm feeling mostly the same way. The pressure in the LP would've been unbelievable even had she nailed her SP, given the way she has 5 (!) high-risk jump elements: 3A, 3F-3R, 2A-3T, 3S (normally not high risk at all but she often misses it), and 3F-2Lo-2Lo.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Asada must have thought too much of Kostner and Adelina. She was used to one on one rivalry with Kim, not to multiple contenders, especially those scores are unusually high for their performances. That shook her badly. After the failure of triple axel, she gave up. Not because she is not capable of recovery, but this competition is infamously set to penalize the oldies given a slightest provocation while looking for all the imaginative merits to grace Russians with the unqualified points. That affects her subconsciously, I guess.

noskates

Record Breaker
I was shocked. And I really felt badly for her. I do hope she can come back and skate a good program tomorrow. I think to get in the top 10 she's going to need some help from the ladies that are currently in the top 10. She has been a great competitor and I've enjoyed watching her skate all these years. She will be missed.

usethis2

Medalist
She practically went blank after the 3A fall. S**** happens.. it deeply saddens me because I really wanted to see Mao at her finest before her retirement.

Maybe she will give us the performance of her life tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

RobinA

On the Ice
I happen to like Asada, but I didn't find this particularly shocking. She persists in putting the 3A in there when it has never been all that consistent. She should have ditched it years ago. Meaning she spends time praticing it at the expense of other moves that might have a higher percentage of success. I shudder to think of the career she COULD have had without that #$%%^& 3A. I wish she were up there contending, but this is a case of her placement being the result of decisions that were made that could be considered questionable. It's not like she splatted after two years of flawless performances. I hope she calls the LP better, although it is probably too late.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I happen to like Asada, but I didn't find this particularly shocking. She persists in putting the 3A in there when it has never been all that consistent. She should have ditched it years ago. Meaning she spends time praticing it at the expense of other moves that might have a higher percentage of success. I shudder to think of the career she COULD have had without that #$%%^& 3A. I wish she were up there contending, but this is a case of her placement being the result of decisions that were made that could be considered questionable. It's not like she splatted after two years of flawless performances. I hope she calls the LP better, although it is probably too late.

Agreed. I think she let the 3A define her as a skater, which really hurt her b/c it's just not consistent enough in competition...She is not Midori Ito, but she has lots of other lovely qualities as a skater that she could have cultivated even more.