Level of Ladies SP by Country @ Sochi 2014 | Golden Skate

Level of Ladies SP by Country @ Sochi 2014

bebevia

On the Ice
I wanted to compare general figure skating levels by country.

- I first ordered countries by number of entries per country
- Then I listed placements & added top 2, ordering by the total
- For single entries that advanced, I calculated by two different ways: adding 24, followed by doubling
- No placement point counted for under 24th.
- Possible smallest placement point = 2/24 (1st, single entry) or 3 (1st + 2nd, multiple entries)
- Possible largest placement point = 48 (24th, top 1 placement as lower would not advance)

==========

So, for the countries with multiple ladies at the event, and we have all of them advancing with full teams. In the brackets, top 2 placements are added:

US: 3 ladies, full advance @ 4th, 6th, 7th (10)
S. Korea: 3 ladies, full advance @ 1st, 18th, 23rd (19)
Japan: 3 ladies, full advance @ 8th, 15th, 16th (23)

Russia: 2 ladies, full advance @ 2nd, 5th (7)
Italy: 2 ladies, full advance @ 3rd, 12th (15)
China: 2 ladies, full advance @ 11th, 14th (25)
Canada: 2 ladies, full advance @ 13th, 19th (32)

...Of course, with countries with one member either advanced full or none. For the lone survivors, (a/b) = (placement x 2/placement + 24):

France @ 9th (18/33)
Germany @ 10th (20/34)
Georgia @ 17th (34/41)
Czech @ 20th (40/44)
Slovakia @ 21st (42/45)
Australia @ 22nd (44/46)
Norway @ 24th (48/48)

...And with all multiple membered countries advancing full, under 24th have to be sole representers. Those noble attempts:

UK @ 25th
Austria @ 26th
Sweden @ 27th
Ukraine @ 28th
Estonia @ 29th
Brazil @ 30th

==========

- Countries seem to be in order with reasonable correlation, except:
1) Korea: 19 because of Yuna as an outlier; 41 without her; 36/42 if she never existed (single entry)
2) Italy: 15 because of Carolina as an outlier; 24/36 without her; close to the current placement point
3) Russia: 7; standing high with only 2 ladies - in fact, with smallest point; this is the one with controversies.

- Above results also say that:
1) Korea: either skater would've advanced with or without Yuna, but would stand around Georgia~Slovakia
2) Italy: adavances, evaluated lower without Carolina, but still standing around China and Canada.
3) Russia: I think this has more to do with Japan; had Japan have 2 tickets, I could place Japan in the 2 entry category and below Russia. Also, if Mao fell less and placed top 6, and Russia was less inflated, Russia would be neck-a-neck with the US, and Japan may or may not tie Russia.

- Overall national skating levels: US > Russian > Japan

- France is interesting. They always had one entry. Advancement comes and goes for them with a steady... curves. However, since 2011, they suddenly kept at 10's placements.

==========

Now, this occupation got my blood pressure steadier. Let's see how your mental health (literally) develops.

Last edited: