Should Yuzuru Hanyu Go for the 4A? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Yuzuru Hanyu Go for the 4A?

supsu

On the Ice
"As for quads, he says he now rotates both 4Lz and 4L, so he might try them in competition in the future."

When has he said this? Wow, that would be great to see, is there any videos out there?

But for 4axel, it sounds extremely hard and i wouldn't want to see any skater injured because of trying something insane.. How many points would a 4axel give you anyways?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
"As for quads, he says he now rotates both 4Lz and 4L, so he might try them in competition in the future."

When has he said this? Wow, that would be great to see, is there any videos out there?

But for 4axel, it sounds extremely hard and i wouldn't want to see any skater injured because of trying something insane.. How many points would a 4axel give you anyways?

It's 15 points. http://www.usfsa.org/content/2013-14 S&P Scale of Values.pdf

Hanyu does a 3A with ease, but it is still the barometer for jumps (along with 4T/4S now). Asking a man to do a 4A is like asking a woman to do a 4F/4Z.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Oh please no. I get so worried about injuries for these skaters. A 4Axel would be begging for injury. His 3axel is perfect enough. I'd like to see him develop more on the second mark. I could watch Daisuke, Kozuka skate all day. He needs to reach that level.

This is it. I so agree. My understanding is that Yagudin stopped with the 4A because it was too dangerous. I remember reading about an interview where he said that he thought he was in danger of breaking his neck. It would be nicer to see Hanyu grow in regard to the artistic portion of his skating and work on his ss.

ITA with the above points. A quad axel should not be the priority for Yuzuru.

Still, as Johnny Weir has observed, "Yuzuru is one of those boys who just like to do the quads." Yuzuru in fact has been reported as saying that he is looking forward to mastering five quad jumps and is practicing the quad axel and quad-quad combinations (http://bowandstrings.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-39.html). I just hope that all those quad practices are closely supervised. I saw the documentary on how he got his quad toe and it was like he was bent on getting the jump or die trying.

NMURA

Medalist
relatively speaking

men's 3A = women's 3Lz
men's 4T = women's 3Lz-3T
men's 4Lz = women's 3A
men's 4A = women's 4T? should be harder than 3A-3T

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well. ONe thing is sure. If someone will be able to do 4A it will be Hanyu. He has light body but is very strong. And I think he is the only one ho can comfortably jump 3A totally from stand position

makaihime

Final Flight
His 3A's are one of the best I've ever seen, IMO its even better than Yan Han's in terms of how tight he is and his execution and landings are just a thing of beauty :love: He's always said that 3A's comes naturally to him so if there's anyone who CAN successfully land a 4A it'd probably be Yuzuru.

I believe he CAN do it, but I don't want him to. Its just too dangerous and he has so much potential that I don't want him to cut his career short because of an injury. :cry: Plus his 3A's are pretty much a quad anyways because its usually done to the T and gets an amazing GOE :yes:

His stand-still 3A :eek: https://31.media.tumblr.com/51ae11bc1782e69ab8e1c8e1dc34e269/tumblr_n2dumuYsbE1tui8hco1_400.gif

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
Meh, he doesn't need it or any other quad besides 4T to win or dominate the current field, so no point in risking his health...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I sometimes wonder about these posts? Are we just too bored and have nothing to do better? What if.. what if Patrick Chan was blonde? What if in 1984 the scoring s ystem was under COP? What if |Browning hadn't flubbed up his 1992 short and skated clean? What if Chan did the quad salchow. Some of these tings are out of now where ie what if Sasha skated clean or Hanyu did the 4A - has he even practised it? I think he might injure himself practising the quad axel.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I sometimes wonder about these posts? Are we just too bored and have nothing to do better? What if.. what if Patrick Chan was blonde? What if in 1984 the scoring s ystem was under COP? What if |Browning hadn't flubbed up his 1992 short and skated clean? What if Chan did the quad salchow. Some of these tings are out of now where ie what if Sasha skated clean or Hanyu did the 4A - has he even practised it? I think he might injure himself practising the quad axel.
Lol the bold sentence. It's true that we are too bored. But don't worry, worlds is here already! :laugh: people have little else to do.

usethis2

Medalist
I don't think it's necessary or even recommended for him to go for any more than he is doing now technically. Like many others, injuries would be the biggest concern. Both short term injuries and long term ones. To be frank I don't know how long he can maintain his current level of stamina. I enjoy jumps that have flows that go with the whole program, not some big trick that's done just for the heck of it - especially jumps with not much extension/flow is kind of an eye-sore to me. If he can master 4S, I don't see anyone challenging him for some time. I would also like to see him improving blade-to-ice skills.

Well, but if he can do it like he does 3A then.. hmm.. that would be spectacular.

noskates

Record Breaker
Shouldn't he be more consistent with his quads before he goes for anything else? Just saying....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No. I would like to see him last the distance on his career.

Even Ilia Kulik didn't try the 4A on ice, and his 3A is still one of the greatest of all.

Meoima

Match Penalty
No. I would like to see him last the distance on his career.

Even Ilia Kulik didn't try the 4A on ice, and his 3A is still one of the greatest of all.

Don't worry, Hanyu has to mastered the 4S first, lol. After that we still have 4lz, 4loop... that's a long way to go. :disapp: He is still on level 2.

BusyMom

Medalist
Don't worry, Hanyu has to mastered the 4S first, lol. After that we still have 4lz, 4loop... that's a long way to go. :disapp: He is still on level 2.
It doesn't work like that, especially the quad jumps. No sanely coaches expect his skaters to master all the quads.

hurrah

Medalist
OMG. Yuzuru was just interviewed on TV and as a joke, someone asked if he would ever attempt a penta (5 rotation) jump, and he answered that he has never attempted a penta jump, but that he has tried four and a half rotation jump several times in practice, and was one-fourth short of rotation, so it was within the realm of possibility for him to do a quad and a half jump few years from now.

Sooooo.... quad-axel? Probably not gonna happen but I guess he can probably do one if he really tried, with a bit of luck, unless he gets injured first, that is. It would be epic if Yuzu did the first quad-axel in history.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It doesn't work like that, especially the quad jumps. No sanely coaches expect his skaters to master all the quads.
That's why I said it won't happen. Because it's insane for your body. Yagudin quit, Ilia Kulik quit, Yagudin quit<---- all of them are supermen in the men field yet they couldn't do it, I don't think a kid with slender frame like him could do a 4A. Nevertheless, I hope he the best that he could mastered his 4S like his 4T, then 4Lz... that might be more than enough. When he hasn't masted the 4S, he shouldn't think of the next quad.