Should Yuzuru Hanyu Go for the 4A? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should Yuzuru Hanyu Go for the 4A?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
That's why I said it won't happen. Because it's insane for your body. Yagudin quit, Ilia Kulik quit, Yagudin quit<---- all of them are supermen in the men field yet they couldn't do it, I don't think a kid with slender frame like him could do a 4A. Nevertheless, I hope he the best that he could mastered his 4S like his 4T, then 4Lz... that might be more than enough. When he hasn't masted the 4S, he shouldn't think of the next quad.

Because he have slim body it is not so demanding for him, because with more massive body the higher forces working on you, but I don't think he is crazy about that 4A like i must do that, no matter what. I think he is just trying from time to time that. I think when he will have fully consistent 4S he will be propably targeting for third quad in LP as 4Lz

caelum

On the Ice
That's why I said it won't happen. Because it's insane for your body. Yagudin quit, Ilia Kulik quit, Yagudin quit<---- all of them are supermen in the men field yet they couldn't do it, I don't think a kid with slender frame like him could do a 4A. Nevertheless, I hope he the best that he could mastered his 4S like his 4T, then 4Lz... that might be more than enough. When he hasn't masted the 4S, he shouldn't think of the next quad.

I think it's the opposite. Admittedly, I haven't formally studied the biomechanics of figure skating jumps, but it seems to me that to do a 4A you are going to need to rotate very quickly, and that requires a slender frame, like Hanyu's. If you watch a 3A carefully, it's doesn't look like the jump is performed by increasing air time substantially (for most skater's it looks like there is no meaningful difference in air time b/w there double and triple axels). It's coming from higher rotational velocity, and I strongly suspect for physical reasons that this would be the same for a 4A, and slender frames, like Hanyu's, have a strong advantage in achieving that (look how fast he rotates to see my point anyway). Obviously, there is a trade-off here, you can't be so slender and meek that you can't even get off the ground or generate any angular momentum at takeoff. And I suppose, in principle, there could be some freakishly strong skater that could just propel themselves into the air and just rotate it "normally" (though I suspect this isn't physically plausible in a human). But, in general, it's going to be a body like Hanyu's, if any body can, that does a 4A.

Anyway, I hope he doesn't try the 4A. Even if he is physically capable - which I'm not so sure about - the chance he would ever get it to competitive levels is very small and the injury risk just seems insane here. Also, why do more than you need to anyway? If Hanyu just improves consistency he can more-or-less crush his competition by base value alone, at least with his current layout.

Last edited:

Kalina

On the Ice
It would be better if he didn't try -- but he already did :laugh: he said in an interview some time ago, to Yukari Nakano, that in the off-season he'd attempted different kind of quads: he says his 4Loop is 'almost there', he rotates the 4Lz, does not plan on attempting the flip, and has tried the 4A but, as hurrah reported, it's still underrotated. Working on the 4A however is definitely in his plans, he's been talking about it for a very long time. As long as he's careful and his coaches keep him under control, as they seem to be doing, I guess it's fine.

Anyway, he's said that he does not plan on adding other quads in his programs until at least the season after next (2015-2016).

pinky2114

Rinkside
Totally agree if he wants to stick around until 2018 which I truly hope he does. Some of his falls in practice (and competition) are just scary. It has to take a toll even on a young and resilient body and working that 4A would mean many hard falls for a jump that may never be competition ready. Perfect the other quads, skip the quad axel, save Yuzuru!!

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's very clear his triple axel needs almost no prep and he can do it from anything. I can see him stalking a 4a like some men do a 3a and eek it out and land it.

makaihime

Final Flight
Absolutely not.

Too late :bang: In a Team Japan interview before banquet:
Ogi-sensei asked about the possibility of doing a quintuple jump.(He died laughing when he heard this) Yuzu actually said that he has attempted 4A a few times (in practices), but 1/4 short of a rotation is the furthest he's managed to achieve so far.

I need him to be here for at LEAST another quad :cry:

jkun

Final Flight
The reason Yu Na Kim left Orser is he was reportedly pushing her to try jumps she felt were dangerous like the 3axel and 4quad. Orser is an excellent coach, but he does seem determined to push his skaters to put there body through some enormous risks by pushing the envelope technically.

Is that true? I've never heard that before.. Then again I didn't look that deep into the situation when it happened.

jkun

Final Flight
I think that Hanyu should do whatever his goal is. He has already won the OGM, Worlds, GPF. He's basically the men's version of Yuna right now. To complete his gold collection, he still needs the lower level 4CC gold however, which is interesting... I think he should do what he deems to be his next goal since he has basically won everything. If it is completing a 4Lz or a 4A in competition, best of luck to him. I want to see him continue to skate for a purpose

Interspectator

Record Breaker
In a morning interview with Team Japan, he was asked if he was going to go for the 4A soon and he said that it was a plan for a few years down the line, and not an immediate focus. he said he wants to do it.

hurrah

Medalist
I would be very happy if Yuzu were to suceed a quad-axel few years from now. He's already got Olympic gold and World gold. If he were to become the first man ever to suceed a quad-axel, it would be the stuff of legend. I bet you no other man will do a quad-axel for at least another 20-30 years.

Meoima

Match Penalty
alternate title for this thread: how many of you guys want hanyu to break his neck
Obviously none of us, the problem is the kid is very stubborn. He should have withdrew from World 2013 with that tedious condition. I think this time it's Orser who have to hold him back all the time. He even practiced when Orser did not allow him to.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My personal prediction is that a younger skater will do the 4A before Hanyu does.
Hanyu has to keep up his skating level in all areas to be a champion. He does not have time to concentrate on a jump like a 4A. While he may eventually do it, it seems more likely to me that a junior somewhere, with less calls on his time, will be able to focus on that one jump and put it into his program. That skater will probably not be a well-rounded skater, but will have that one jump.
Just my opinion.

Meoima

Match Penalty
My personal prediction is that a younger skater will do the 4A before Hanyu does.
Hanyu has to keep up his skating level in all areas to be a champion. He does not have time to concentrate on a jump like a 4A. While he may eventually do it, it seems more likely to me that a junior somewhere, with less calls on his time, will be able to focus on that one jump and put it into his program. That skater will probably not be a well-rounded skater, but will have that one jump.
Just my opinion.

Personally I think 4A is impossible for everyone. Even if you can do it, it does not guarantee you will be able to maintain it and make it consistent for a long time. Yagudin, as determined as he was, quit trying it after a while. Yagudin and Plusy's rivalry was ever more intense and tremendous than the current men field, he wanted a big trick to go against Plushy. Believe me, if there is anyone in the world who should give up everything to beat Plushy at that time, that would be Yagudin. And Yagudin was at peak, yet he had to give up. Plushy, even with better jumping techniques, also dare not venture that area.

It might be not impossible for 4A to be performed, maybe the youngsters could do it, but practice that kind of quad will likely destroy your time for other area such as improve your transition and skating skills. Anyways, I wouldn't want to look for a quad in a below average performance with tedious presentation skills.

Not to mention the possibility of injuries. It is too risky and I don't want any skater move with wheelchair for the rest of their life just because they tried to master that 4A.

My opinion is, quad axel is too risky, it's up to you if you want to pay the price for it. Do you want to walk on your feet for the rest of your life? It's good that you have 4A, because nobody else has it, but quad is not everything in your performance, having a quad axel doesn't mean you will win.

We can take Mao Asada as an example. Mao has 3A but she lost to Yuna many times. She is the only women who could do 3A at the moment. But even when she has practiced it for years, she usually got UR call for it. Even now she still couldn't perform it perfectly most of the times. And 3A is WAY MORE easier than quad, not to mention 4A.