Skating music you never want to hear again? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Skating music you never want to hear again?

vinganca

Rinkside
We can dream, can't we?

of course! :) these are some of my favorite topics here because i get to discover all this awesome music from other people posting their faves. do you sing? just curious because your screen name makes me think of the character in the Tales of Hoffman.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Grand classical pieces, like First Piano Concerto by Tchaikovsky. Never! Unless you are so great that you can perform to it and match it. Which is impossible. There is nothing worse than a mediocre skating to a grand classical piece.
But even if you are great it's still overwhelming and distracting.

:eek:

I lurves Rachmaninoff in skating

urara

Rinkside
Rhapsody in Blue,
Firebird,
Les Misérables,
My Fair Lady,
The Feeling Begins,
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 - Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one skating to this piece has won at Worlds or Olympics. I don't want to see sad faces of skaters.

of course! :) these are some of my favorite topics here because i get to discover all this awesome music from other people posting their faves. do you sing? just curious because your screen name makes me think of the character in the Tales of Hoffman.

Goodness, I never thought of that connection. Thanks so much! I actually knew someone named Olympia, so the name was uppermost in my mind when I was choosing a screen name. I love to sing, but mostly just in my own company....untrained but heartfelt. Apparently according to a friend or two, I can carry a tune. (Whew!)

Speaking of Leo Delibes, who wrote a ballet about Coppelia, based on the same Hoffman tale(s), I kind of like his music for that ballet and also for another ballet, Sylvia.

"The Huntresses": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STEw23aeMgY

capcomeback

On the Ice
After watching Adelina skate, I don't see the need for any music (and therefore am tired of everything, lol).

Seriously, Scheherezade? Are you kidding me? The piece is stunning (though I'm guessing that it is mostly Canadians who hate it right now, lol). Yes, Carmen has been overdone (the overture and muzak'd Habenera and Toreador Song), but it is outstanding stuff. Swan Lake, yeah, overused but beautiful. Bolero is repetitive as hell, but does build nicely (and Torvil and Dean and Kostner skated the crap out of it!).

My belief is (despite my opening sentence), to paraphrase The Bard, "The fault, dear skater is not in your music, but in your choreography and interpretation."

AngelENTL

On the Ice
Seriously, Scheherezade? Are you kidding me? The piece is stunning (though I'm guessing that it is mostly Canadians who hate it right now, lol).

Include me in the list of those who are sick to death of Scheherazade at this point. The only reason I wouldn't ban Scheherazade forever is because I agree that it is absolutely gorgeous music that is ripe for the right skater to make into a masterpiece of a program. Some of my favorite skaters have made attempts (e.g. Midori Ito, Michelle Kwan), but I have not seen anyone truly do the music justice. I bet Lu Chen or Oksana Baiul could've made something special of it in their heydays.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i'm ok with skaters using overused music as long as they skate to the full potential of that overused piece of music. but that rarely happens, mostly because a lot of the lower ranked teams insist on using warhorses that the quality of their skating just doesn't live up to.

requiem for a dream is the biggest pain in my butt in that regard. the music is SO epic and SO sweeping that i have never seen any performance even come close to living up to it. it always ends up detracting from the program and making me hope they fail because the sheer hubris it takes to think your skating is on the level of requiem for a dream is pretty annoying

capcomeback

On the Ice
Include me in the list of those who are sick to death of Scheherazade at this point. The only reason I wouldn't ban Scheherazade forever is because I agree that it is absolutely gorgeous music that is ripe for the right skater to make into a masterpiece of a program. Some of my favorite skaters have made attempts (e.g. Midori Ito, Michelle Kwan), but I have not seen anyone truly do the music justice. I bet Lu Chen or Oksana Baiul could've made something special of it in their heydays.

Aside from the technical issues with the skate, I loved Michelle's interpretation of Scheherazade. I also thought that Meryl and Charlie's program was amazing too. It goes to show, if you pick good music and you have great interpretation you can do some amazing stuff. As I said, the fault isn't in the music but in the skater.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never ever want to hear a bond again. Not EVER!!

Aside from the technical issues with the skate, I loved Michelle's interpretation of Scheherazade. I also thought that Meryl and Charlie's program was amazing too. It goes to show, if you pick good music and you have great interpretation you can do some amazing stuff. As I said, the fault isn't in the music but in the skater.

The other thing about a piece like Scheherazade is that it's a very long work. It's pretty much a symphony--it even has four movements as a "regulation" symphony does. So there are innumerable ways it can be edited and cut to make new interpretations. In fact, one of the interesting aspects of Charlie White's version is that D/W's program ends on a dramatic climax, whereas the original Rimsky-Korsakov ends serenely, after the drama has been resolved.

One interpretation not mentioned much these days is John Curry's version. He first used this piece as an exhibition in the 1976 Olympics, which he won. Then he did a pro version of it. Notice the conservative, utilitarian clothing he wore at Innsbruck for the gala. Men didn't gussy themselves up in those days.

Innsbruck amateur exhibition version, 1976:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26Bb8bh3EM

Pro version, 1980:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se19k1ZvLSw

TMC

Record Breaker
Liebestraum = liebes-trauma

When even Rohene Ward's excellent choreography combined with Jason Brown's sublime performance and interpretation don't help, the music is doomed for me. Doomed, I tell you! :biggrin:

My belief is (despite my opening sentence), to paraphrase The Bard, "The fault, dear skater is not in your music, but in your choreography and interpretation."

ITA! (Exept for Liebestraum for me :cool: )

noskates

Record Breaker
It's been several days since I said CARMEN CARMEN CARMEN. But I would also like to add anything Bond and reiterate any gawdawful tango!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's been several days since I said CARMEN CARMEN CARMEN. But I would also like to add anything Bond and reiterate any gawdawful tango!

I've already posted all of those in this thread and fight the urge everyday to keep posting it over and over or at least once a day. Thank you for saying it. Phew...I feel better.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Bond, Tango, Chopin, Racmininoff, Tchaikovsky, les miserable, phantom of the opera, carmen...:mad:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My Fair Lady, why does no one skate to Embassy Waltz or Ascot Gavotte or On the Street Where You Live

While I :love: all of My Fair Lady, it would be great to hear these selections! :agree:

Blues for Klook. I just can´t stand it.

Can't stand it either (with my apologies to Daisuke who skated the heck out of it & made it work).

The Moulin Rouge version of "El Tango de Roxanne." I have a running joke with a friend who cringes along with me when we hear the first part of the vocals of the song. I have no problem whatsoever with Sting's version, however.

Bring on more baroque music, please - Denkova & Stavisky's 2003 performance (compulsory dance?) was gorgeous!