Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Gold, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova and the future

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    337
    Yulia will benefit from the fact the Worlds are in Japan. The home crowd does not bring her luck.

  2. #17
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    I wonder if Julia will be affected by growth spurts within the next year or so? I really like Julia. She's got alot of spunk, but I think Julia will be hit by puberty monster soon.

    Gracie, whom I do not like at all, will probably continue to jump well as she seems finished with body changes and she's got Frank Caroll who will continue to campaign on her behalf so her lack of grace and stiffness doesn't get noticed by the judges.

    And Adelina, I think, will not lose her jumps but she's bound to grow a little bit more so I think she may have growth spurt issues in the following years. I hope someone can teach her to skate well.

    Polina Edmund whom I thought had alot of potential also seemed very, very tall and very, very thin with very wide shoulders. So there's alot of question mark there in terms of how her body will grow.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Gracie, whom I do not like at all, will probably continue to jump well as she seems finished with body changes and she's got Frank Caroll who will continue to campaign on her behalf so her lack of grace and stiffness doesn't get noticed by the judges.
    I really like Gracie, but I agree Frank is toxic and bitter. I wouldn't mind Gracie under a different coach.

  4. #19
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    yeah, I'm curious about Polina. She's got a long way to go. It's great that she has wonderful jumping technique and a fighter's spirit and she also has spunk and personality. But it's hard to argue with the straighth 7s she got in the PCS. I'm glad she's only 15.

  5. #20
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,383
    I'm looking forward to the future of ladies' skating right now. As much as I love the multi-quad veterans (Carolina, Mao, Yu-Na, Akiko, etc) I'm excited to see some new rivalries form. Hopefully the uber-fans/bots will exit the sport when their favorites do which should make these boards a slightly more civil place to discuss things. Of course new fan wars will start but if we're lucky there will be a small lull of peace for at least half a season or so...

  6. #21
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'm looking forward to the future of ladies' skating right now. As much as I love the multi-quad veterans (Carolina, Mao, Yu-Na, Akiko, etc) I'm excited to see some new rivalries form. Hopefully the uber-fans/bots will exit the sport when their favorites do which should make these boards a slightly more civil place to discuss things. Of course new fan wars will start but if we're lucky there will be a small lull of peace for at least half a season or so...
    Haha so true.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I wonder if Julia will be affected by growth spurts within the next year or so? I really like Julia. She's got alot of spunk, but I think Julia will be hit by puberty monster soon.
    Someone had posted on the community Julia Lipnitskaia vk.com page 2 separate pictures of Julia (clearly at different times) with a petite woman that I think is her mother (look a bit alike). - If that woman is her mother, she's likely not to grow too much more. Here's one of the pictures, and you can click through a couple later are the same woman: http://vk.com/julia_lipnitskaya?z=ph...31036833_12592

    I know I read an article that she went through some puberty monsters last season, and it says it in her wikipedia page that she had some puberty issues last season.

  8. #23
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Someone had posted on the community Julia Lipnitskaia vk.com page 2 separate pictures of Julia (clearly at different times) with a petite woman that I think is her mother (look a bit alike).
    Sure that woman looks petite, but she's still half a head or more taller than Julia, with wider shoulders and curves. We can't know what will happen, but Julia's jumps are not very big, especially her strange axel.

  9. #24
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    I think all three of them have really great potential and may dominate in the next four years but then again, it's really hard to predict the future considering four years ago, nobody knew Gracie or Julia but they were considered medal contenders during this Olympics (although neither managed to medal). I think they still need time to develop artistically and polish their skating though. So far, they are not quite on the same levels in terms of delivering a very polished and artistic performance as Kim, Carolina, or Mao (although Kostner and Mao aren't known for delivering clean programs but when they do, they are breathtaking to watch).

    Of the three, I like Adelina the most (I know there's a lot of hate against her right now because of the whole judging and placement thing but I'll keep my own opinion of that to myself). To me, I think Adelina has the most complete package of the three. She is more artistic and emotes to the music more than Julia and has the big jumps and the difficulty. The problem with Adelina is that she rarely skates clean, her performance at the Olympics was incredible but that's just one clean performance (and barely clean at that, she stepped out of one of her jumps) and she had home ice advantage so I'm not sure how consistent she will be in the future.

    Julia, to me, still seems like the most consistent one given her record despite her lackluster performances at the Olympics. I think she will deliver better performances at Worlds when there is not so much pressure on her to deliver an Olympic gold medal on home ice.

    Gracie has great potential but I don't think Frank Caroll is really packaging her in the best way. I think Gracie has improved a lot under Caroll in terms of artistry and consistency but Caroll is packaging her more like Kwan and that's not highlighting her strengths which are her natural power and athleticism. Kwan was an extremely artistic skater but she didn't have the most difficult technical content so the whole artistic package worked in her favor. Gracie, although she has gotten better, is really not terribly artistic and still looks a bit wooden and doesn't quite have that connection to the music that more artistic skaters like Kostner do. She has good jumps, good spins, great power and speed, but is still a bit lacking in the artistry department so she should really do a program that highlights her strengths and disguises her weaknesses a bit more.

    Personally, I really like Zijun Li's light and airy skating style but she seriously lacks power and speed and her artistry is not really the best. Her jumps are really just average and she occasionally underrotates them and she always gets an edge call on her Lutz. Add that to the fact that she doesn't have a traditional figure skating powerhouse politicking for her and she's not so leaps and bounds ahead of the field like Yuna Kim, I don't think she's really going to rise to the top during the next four years.

    Polina Edmunds is a tough call. She has been skating well at the Olympics but she's young and doesn't really know how to use her lines and can appear awkward on the ice. She still needs a couple more years to develop into a mature skater so the jury's still out on her.

    And then there are the Russian babies. There are so many of them that I honestly can't get the names straight. They have some incredible depth of talent in Russia and many of the Russian babies appear have the complete package in terms of jumps and artistry but the real question is how many of them can survive puberty. Then again, they have so many backup choices that even if the majority of them fail to survive through puberty, odds are that they are still going to produce some incredible skaters who will survive the puberty monster.

  10. #25
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I wonder if Julia will be affected by growth spurts within the next year or so? I really like Julia. She's got alot of spunk, but I think Julia will be hit by puberty monster soon.

    Gracie, whom I do not like at all, will probably continue to jump well as she seems finished with body changes and she's got Frank Caroll who will continue to campaign on her behalf so her lack of grace and stiffness doesn't get noticed by the judges.

    And Adelina, I think, will not lose her jumps but she's bound to grow a little bit more so I think she may have growth spurt issues in the following years. I hope someone can teach her to skate well.

    Polina Edmund whom I thought had alot of potential also seemed very, very tall and very, very thin with very wide shoulders. So there's alot of question mark there in terms of how her body will grow.


    Re: Adelina. Most females have topped out by age 17 in terms of height. It's possible she may still grow at little but I doubt it would be very much.

  11. #26
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    45
    If Adelina stays competitive, she and Gold are the safe bets. They've grown into their bodies, their techniques are very sound, they're great athletes and both becoming good performers.

    Yulia, I hate to say, might have missed her moment; her jumps do not look stable (yikes, that axel), and as she grows, they're going to look less so. And the other young Russians -- all so little, who knows? Same with Li and Edmunds. Guessing what effect the Puberty Monster will have is fool's play. We just don't know.

  12. #27
    Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    615
    Polina Edmunds really impressed me this time around. I love the way she uses her arms & for a skater her age, she had such amazing flow and grace in the long. Her jump technique is also crisp and clean. With the right packaging and track record, she should peak in time for Pyeongchang.

    ETA: I think she looks awkward on ice because she's so tall and gangly. Let her grow into a more grown woman physique. I think she will really impress us.

  13. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    To be honest they are all pretty boring and generic, and Sotnikova will probably retire now rather than face the music outside of Russia again, and Julia will likely be done in soon by growth spurts. Over the last 8 years I found the most exciting event the ladies and the weakest the mens but I have a feeling over the next quad that will all change and it will be just the reverse.

    Radianova and to a lesser degree Gold are the only women who excite me moving forward but I am sure some others will emerge. I wish Murakami was continuing but she isnt a strong jumper anyway.

  14. #29
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5
    Adelina, Gracie and Zijun will stick around. Gracie will definitely want another shot at the gold medal after more improvement and international experience.

    Julia I think may burn out. I don't personally see a lot of joy in her skating and I think she has had way too much pressure forced on her too quickly.

    Polina is also kind of a wild card to me. She was much better than I expected her to be in such a stressful situation for the first time but there are a lot of American girls who are just on the cusp and will probably rapidly improve in the next 4 years. Courtney Hicks may try for another quad and up and coming juniors Amber Glen and Tyler Pierce have a lot of potential as well.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    To be honest they are all pretty boring and generic, and Sotnikova will probably retire now rather than face the music outside of Russia again
    Why do you expect her to retire? The veterans who challenged her at the Olympics will all retire after this season. There won't be any skaters capable of beating her on the international scene. She could dominate this next quad.

    Quote Originally Posted by serenayy92 View Post
    Gracie has great potential but I don't think Frank Caroll is really packaging her in the best way. I think Gracie has improved a lot under Caroll in terms of artistry and consistency but Caroll is packaging her more like Kwan and that's not highlighting her strengths which are her natural power and athleticism. Kwan was an extremely artistic skater but she didn't have the most difficult technical content so the whole artistic package worked in her favor. Gracie, although she has gotten better, is really not terribly artistic and still looks a bit wooden and doesn't quite have that connection to the music that more artistic skaters like Kostner do. She has good jumps, good spins, great power and speed, but is still a bit lacking in the artistry department so she should really do a program that highlights her strengths and disguises her weaknesses a bit more.
    I don't see any artistic potential in Gracie. She is boring. She doesn't emote or project to the audience at all, but I agree that her packaging isn't helping. Frank has given her matronly costumes and pretty princess routines straight out of the 1950's. Her image is so outdated. I do like that Frank has helped her become a better competitor, but kind of hate that he has taken away her natural power. That was the only positive thing about her as a skater, and now her jumps are as small and powerless as Lipnitskaia's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •