The Hypocrisy/Irony from 2010 Vancouver Men's FS result | Golden Skate

The Hypocrisy/Irony from 2010 Vancouver Men's FS result

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
isn't it irony, in the men when Lysacek won with no quad beat Plushenko ( who did not compete even at Worlds ) and yet people found him a whiner
4 years later, the technical elements were given of higher importance, now Sotnikova's 7 triple wins over a 6 triple Kim ( who missed competing the GP series too ) yet cries of injustice and foul play.

ironic or was that hypocritical ?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
for the record, Yuna was a loop away from the gold medal, leaving her to do only 6 triples total
the CoP change since Vancouver really affected her

the loop and lower spin levels cost Yuna the gold
but Yuna still had the highest GOE on her 3LZ-3T, no one can dispute that

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:confused: YOURSELF?

There were cries over Evan's win then and cries over Sotnikova's win now. That's even out. ;)

Lysacek was a controversial win outside NA, in the US it was Plushenko that was mocked

care to differentiate

Lysacek win
Hughes win
Sotnikova win

at the end of the day, it is a sport
everyone should have a chance for gold and not predetermined ranks
you have newcomers like Gracie, Julia even Adelina
who have risen in a short period at the right time, something the old system would have been difficult to happen

niami

Rinkside
Lysacek was a controversial win outside NA, in the US it was Plushenko that was mocked

care to differentiate

Did Yuna denounce Sotnikova as not the "true champion"?

Did Yuna jump on the gold medal podium during the victory ceremony?

At the press conference, did Yuna, sitting next to Sotnikova, say "I guess the judges thought she needed a gold medal more than I did"?

moviechick

On the Ice
There's almost always a controversial win at the Olympics. I don't think any amount of reform will completely erase that from the sport unless they change the nature of it and erase the performance component altogether.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
There's almost always a controversial win at the Olympics. I don't think any amount of reform will completely erase that from the sport unless they change the nature of it and erase the performance component altogether.

Lipinski in 1998 won on her technical merits
2002 lets not forget Hughes, B/S and S/P
2010 Men's F/S with Lysacek and Plushenko

moviechick

On the Ice
I'm just saying this is nothing new. They'll probably try to tweak the system even further after this but let's be real, it'll never be free of scandals.

Hell, even the NBA still has controversy over referee calls and that one year when a ref had money on the Lakers and ensured their win over the Kings. They still didn't overturn any results.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'm just saying this is nothing new. They'll probably try to tweak the system even further after this but let's be real, it'll never be free of scandals.

Hell, even the NBA still has controversy over referee calls and that one year when a ref had money on the Lakers and ensured their win over the Kings. They still didn't overturn any results.

agreed, at the end of the day its a judged sport
humans are error ridden and no matter how many changes it goes there will always be glaring problems

maybe in the future,
no more judges but computer analyts machines on the panel
with scans and images measuring each jump for correct edge and on eh right turn, revolutions and height

moviechick

On the Ice
Maybe at some point people will just view this as like the Oscars. Whoever wins, it's nice but doesn't actually mean you're the best.

spikydurian

Medalist

care to differentiate

Lysacek win
Hughes win
Sotnikova win

at the end of the day, it is a sport
everyone should have a chance for gold and not predetermined ranks
you have newcomers like Gracie, Julia even Adelina
who have risen in a short period at the right time, something the old system would have been difficult to happen
Looks who's talking?:rofl:

Strange about the sudden jump in PCs. Home cooking + strong Skating Fed + bribed judges = Sotnikova's win! How about dat? Sounds familiar? :biggrin:

isn't it irony, in the men when Lysacek won with no quad beat Plushenko ( who did not compete even at Worlds ) and yet people found him a whiner
4 years later, the technical elements were given of higher importance, now Sotnikova's 7 triple wins over a 6 triple Kim ( who missed competing the GP series too ) yet cries of injustice and foul play.

In both cases the skater with the higher TES score won, with the PCS virtually even (exactly even in 2010, IIRC). Moral of the story -- rack up those tech points.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Now I know for sure you are a fake Kostner fan as someone else indicated. You arent upset in the least of a 7 triple Kostner losing to a 7 triple Sotnikova with weaker quality jumps and way worse basic skating and artistry. Dont even care in fact. Yeah definitely a fake Kostner fan.

Now I know for sure you are a fake Kostner fan as someone else indicated. You arent upset in the least of a 7 triple Kostner losing to a 7 triple Sotnikova with weaker quality jumps and way worse basic skating and artistry. Dont even care in fact. Yeah definitely a fake Kostner fan.

I suspect, a fake Gracie Gold fan, too. ;) No one could seriously have such a "blonde" fetish in real life. ;)

Krislite

Medalist
LOL. This is exactly why Mao's 8-triple program beat Sotnikova's 7-triple LP, right? RIGHT? Give me a break. This was never about who had the most triples. People are just grasping at straws trying to come up with an excuse for Sotnikova's scores.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well I thnk people on this site, and I risk getting death threats, are more particular about making their view points known. We are not judges of skating but we are armchair judges and extremely passionate (although I note many just rise to his site during the olympics and rarely are seen or heard again). To the average viewer they might just count the triple jumps. Artistry is sometimes hard to mark or appreciate. It's not like Adelina just stood their and jumped.

To the average viewer they might just count the triple jumps. Artistry is sometimes hard to mark or appreciate.

Actually, I think the opposite is true. i don't think the casual viewer counts the jumps (and certainly does not know that a flip is .2 points harder than a loop), But that viewer does appreciate artistry and performance qualities, even if, as you say, it might be hard to quantify.